Oshkosh Reflections

Old August 4th 05, 11:35 PM
Jay Honeck

Dang.... don't remind me.... thinking of doing the Mackinac Island thing yet
this summer.... even $45 per day is crazy. Let me know when Goodwill has
some foldup mountain bikes, will ya?

Depends on your airplane, but I've found that many are capable of
taking a full size bikd if you take the wheels off. With modern bikes,
that only takes seconds and maybe a minute to put them back on.

Well, we would need four bikes. While that is technically possible
with the smallest folding bikes (barely), it would leave no room for
the baggage, tents, etc. we carry to OSH.

No, the Goodwill bike thing has absolutely improved OSH 100% for us --
and I didn't think it could *get* any better! To be able to ride
around all week, to get to the bathroom in the middle of the night in
SECONDS (rather than minutes), to save literally MILES of wear and tear
on my feet -- wow, what a great thing.

And, best of all, it benefits a really good cause. My only fear is
that they will wake up next year and realize that they could have
charged twice as much!
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old August 4th 05, 11:37 PM
Jay Honeck

These are the reasons I prefer Sun-N-Fun. A lot of cool stuff not too
many people.

I love Sun N Fun, too. It just doesn't work with my kids school
schedule, and there ALWAYS seems to be a huge cold front riding the
Florida panhandle at that time of year. We usually make it down (or
back)okay, but never vice versa.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old August 4th 05, 11:59 PM
Matt Whiting

Jay Honeck wrote:

[...]

Well, it could get better. They could have scooters... :-)

Sorry, just couldn't resist!

Matt
Old August 5th 05, 03:43 AM
Morgans

"Jim Burns" wrote

Dang.... don't remind me.... thinking of doing the Mackinac Island thing

yet
this summer.... even $45 per day is crazy. Let me know when Goodwill has
some foldup mountain bikes, will ya?

Get creative! Cut the frames, add some tube on the inside, drill for a pin,
and, there you have it. Biggest hassle is the full size wheel, but that
means they ride better.
--
Jim in NC

Old August 5th 05, 03:56 AM
Jay Honeck

She's probably still single because they think of her as a "chick."

George, you need to hang around women pilots more often. They ALL refer to
themselves as "chicks", and a flight of just women is a "chick flight"...

We host the Iowa 99s meetings at the inn, and that's pretty much all you'll
hear throughout...
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old August 5th 05, 09:58 AM
G. Sylvester

Jay Honeck wrote:
We host the Iowa 99s meetings at the inn, and that's pretty much all you'll
hear throughout...

Hmmm, a party with all women pilots. I'm single. I'm there. ;-)

A couple of years ago I replied to someone's posting with a "personal."
Went something like, "I'm looking for a high performance Twin, low
TT,...."

Gerald
Old August 5th 05, 02:08 PM
Jay Honeck

Hmm... I may have to take a trip back to the Goodwill at OSH and pick up a
couple "victims"!

That 10-speed racer I was on all week was really quite excellent -- I was
effortlessly outpacing the others on their "mountain bikes" all day long.

At one time that was a truly top-dollar bicycle, and if you could hinge the
frame somehow it would make a great traveling bike. I hated to give it
back!
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old August 5th 05, 05:31 PM
john smith

Jay Honeck wrote:
That 10-speed racer I was on all week was really quite excellent -- I was
effortlessly outpacing the others on their "mountain bikes" all day long.
At one time that was a truly top-dollar bicycle, and if you could hinge the
frame somehow it would make a great traveling bike. I hated to give it
back!

I'll bring a hacksaw next year!
Old August 5th 05, 06:14 PM
George Patterson

Jay Honeck wrote:

At one time that was a truly top-dollar bicycle, and if you could hinge the
frame somehow it would make a great traveling bike. I hated to give it
back!

Last time I was there, UPS had a booth set up outside the Fly-Mart.

George Patterson

Oshkosh Reflections Jay Honeck Home Built 54 August 16th 05 09:24 PM
Oshkosh Reflections Jay Honeck Owning 44 August 7th 05 02:31 PM
How I got to Oshkosh (long) Doug Owning 2 August 18th 03 12:05 AM
CQ Oshkosh, CQ Oshkosh Warren & Nancy Home Built 4 July 3rd 03 06:42 PM
CQ Oshkosh, CQ Oshkosh Warren & Nancy Piloting 4 July 3rd 03 06:42 PM