Switching to JeppView

Old December 3rd 04, 12:32 AM
Ron Rosenfeld

On Thu, 02 Dec 2004 13:19:07 GMT, "Travis Marlatte"
wrote:

I just switched and I don't even have the package yet. Supposed to arrive
today. My comment was based on my direct question and the answer from the
person who took my order. A paraphrased quote of her answer: "You can
install it on four computer. Wait let me check. That may be two ground-based
and two-airborne computers. ... No. Four computers, wherever you want."

I don't know why they put such restrictions. I can understand a clause that
says something like, "Don't sell charts and don't let anyone else use this
software." But who cares how many places I have it installed as long as I am
the sole user. I'm getting better value. They aren't loosing any money.

Perhaps the license is different with JV 3, if that is what you are
getting. I am still using JV2.

--ron
Old December 3rd 04, 03:20 AM
Travis Marlatte

Nope. There is no technical restriction other than by contract of the
license.

how
that is enforced. I suspect it is by contract. But, for me, two would be
OK.
Four is plenty.

I think the machine has to connect with Jepp via the Internet at specified
intervals or it all goes TU.

Old December 3rd 04, 03:56 AM
Travis Marlatte

No doubt there has been a lot of sharing. What does that have to do with
restricting the number of PCs that I install their software on for my
personal use. I have 4 PCs in my house plus my laptop at work. I carry paper
charts around with me now when I am planning a flight. I just lost that
ability (legally) because some lawyer thinks that the appearance of
strictness will temper illegal acts at the expense of legitmate users.

Now that I have the new version in my hands, it allows me to install it on a
single ground-based computer but then says that I can install it on another
one. Geez, can't they count to two? I don't want to make money by selling
their charts. I don't want to cheat them by giving away charts. I just don't
want to have to uninstall it and re-install it every time I move from the
den to my office or the basement or the playroom or the bedroom.

The license section is many paragraphs long. It can be summarize in just a
few words, "Printed charts and software to be used only by licensee for
personal use."

By the way, that is completely different answer than the order taker gave
me. Nowhere does it say anything about 4 copies.

--
-------------------------------
Travis
wrote in message ...

Travis Marlatte wrote:

I just switched and I don't even have the package yet. Supposed to arrive
today. My comment was based on my direct question and the answer from the
person who took my order. A paraphrased quote of her answer: "You can
install it on four computer. Wait let me check. That may be two
ground-based
and two-airborne computers. ... No. Four computers, wherever you want."

I don't know why they put such restrictions. I can understand a clause
that
says something like, "Don't sell charts and don't let anyone else use
this
software." But who cares how many places I have it installed as long as I
am
the sole user. I'm getting better value. They aren't loosing any money.

There has been a whole lot of JeppView sharing going on. Joe gives his
two-week
old disk to Jim, and so on.

Old December 16th 04, 01:00 AM
5pguy

I just canceled my subscription. I had a subscription just for my
state
of California. After going up about 35% in 3 years, I said no more.

Old December 16th 04, 02:33 AM
Travis Marlatte

What are you doing to replace that service?

My flying is recreational and regularly touches 6 states. Northern IL, WI,
MN, Northern IN, MI, Central IA. It's regular enough that getting the
central coverage was the cheapest way for me to go. Fundamentally, I am
paying $400+ a year to have them tell me what has changed every couple of
weeks. Add to that the quality and dependability. I just can't seem to let
it go.

Old December 19th 04, 05:44 AM
5pguy

Right now, I down load my plates off the AOPA website. Ihave
not flown IFR since I canceled my subscription. When I do my
6 approaches, I use the downloaded plates.

$400 a year. That's a lot. Don't know much about other subscriptions.
What about an electronic subscription? Print what you need, download
the udpates. Do that have this type of a subscription? You still take
with you in the plane a hardcopy.

Old December 19th 04, 04:25 PM
Travis Marlatte

$400 a year is for the electronic subscription. The paper and electronic are
about the same.

Since you can download the same information for free, that is why I said
that I am paying $400 a year so that they tell me what has changed.

Install the updated charts, filter the airport view to show only my
favorites and only the ones with charts that have changed. Sometimes, there
are none and I'm done. Otherwise, I highlight them all (remember only the
ones with updated charts are showing) and print them in a two-up format,
back to back. Then, I can just replace the entire airport for any that have
changed.

The only manually intensive part is taking the 8.5X11 pieces of paper and
cutting and punching them. But, since there are none and usually no more
than a few airports, even that doesn't take but a few minutes. The whole
process is much less effort than filing the paper subscriptions for many
states and a ton of airports that are outside of my usual flying area.

The only thing easier is using a tablet (PDA is nice as a backup but I'm not
willing to use it as a primary) in the cockpit and not printing anything
out. I'm not comfortable enough with not having a paper backup to spend the
money. If I'm going to have a paper backup anyway, I'll just use that for
primary navigation with no backup.