Air Bus 300 crash in NY now blamed on co-pilot's improper use of rudder

Old October 26th 04, 01:27 PM
Corky Scott

Default Air Bus 300 crash in NY now blamed on co-pilot's improper use of rudder

It was just a news blurb this morning on the local TV news, but they
claimed that investigators now blame the loss of the Air Bus 300's
tail on the improper use of the rudder by the co-pilot.

If true (that the co-pilot is actually being blamed), I find that
difficult to believe. A little research on the net uncovered a bunch
of articles about how the Air Bus encountered wake turbulence from a
preceding airliner and that the rudder experienced some rapid movement
which exceeded it's structural design parameters, and it cleanly
parted the aircraft.

Prior to this accident, were Air Bus 300 pilots specifically told NOT
to use the rudder in flight? Because if they did they might exceed
the design parameters of the rudder? One article claimed that pilots
were taught to counter wake turbulence using ailerons only. It wasn't
clear to me if that applied to Air Buses only, or all airliners.

Or did they learn not to use the rudder during flight because of this
accident?

Either way, I find it difficult to blame the co-pilot for reacting in
what is likely a normal pilot response to turbulence. Surely all
airliners aren't so tempermental when it comes to rudder input are
they?

Corky Scott
Old October 26th 04, 02:36 PM
Stefan

Corky Scott wrote:

If true (that the co-pilot is actually being blamed), I find that
difficult to believe. A little research on the net uncovered a bunch
of articles

I've always been wondering why they do those thorough and long lasting
investigations when all it takes to find the truth is a quick google
search...

Stefan

Old October 26th 04, 02:47 PM
G Farris

Well, throughout the process, Airbus has submitted a large number of documents
in the effort to prove that they've been trying for years to get American
Airlines to wake up and correct their flawed training procedures. Some of
these documents are co-introduced by Boeing, and apply to "Airliners"
indicating efforts on Airbus' behalf to get the spotlight away from their
product.

Some pilots expressed their astonishment at the fact that there would be
instances, in normal operations and within the manoeuvering speed of the
aircraft, where full-amplitude control inputs would have the risk of
destroying the aircraft.

The most surprising thing to me in all of this is that in their never-ending
quarrel over whose "method" is better - the hardcore fly-by-wire method of
Airbus or the "assisted" method of Boeing, Airbus never ceases to stress the
fact that their computers will prevent inadvertent "inappropriate" control
inputs from pilots, such as increasing pitch angle to where the AOA exceeds
stall margin.* Now are we supposed to believe that rudder inputs were simply
"not included" in this guardian angel policy?

Though it may not be fair to the NTSB, it is sometimes hard not to conclude
that placing the blame on a pilot, who is no longer here to defend himself, is
far less "costly" than implicating an airline or major airfarme manufacturer.

*Boeing, it must be said, has not done much better, because they chose to
counter the Airbus argument by saying there could be cases where the
theoretical limits of useful control inputs could (an should) be exceeded
momentarily in an emergency situation. They chose to illustrate this with the
757 accident in Cali. Couldn't they find a more, well, successful,
illustration?

G Faris

Old October 26th 04, 03:00 PM
Mike Rapoport

A tremendous amount of money could be save by eliminating the investigation
in the first place. There would still be articles written about crashes and
we could simply google up the cause.

Mike
MU-2

Old October 26th 04, 04:15 PM
Ron Natalie

G Farris wrote:

Though it may not be fair to the NTSB, it is sometimes hard not to conclude
that placing the blame on a pilot, who is no longer here to defend himself, is
far less "costly" than implicating an airline or major airfarme manufacturer.

The NTSB has no interest in what is "costly" or not. It frequently makes
recommendations that the FAA and the airlines decide not to heed for "cost"
reasons.

Obviously we haven't seen the print of the "fimal" report, but I suspect
that the results will be improper control input by the pilot flying with
some blame on the training by the manufacturer or airline on how to deal
with wake turbulance encounters.
Old October 26th 04, 05:09 PM
Corky Scott

On Tue, 26 Oct 2004 15:36:02 +0200, Stefan
wrote:

I've always been wondering why they do those thorough and long lasting
investigations when all it takes to find the truth is a quick google
search...

Stefan

You will notice that I was asking a question, not suggesting a
conclusion. I used the internet to refresh my memory of the crash and
the particulars surrounding it, not to second guess the NTSB.

Or maybe you wouldn't notice.

Corky Scott

Old October 26th 04, 05:25 PM
PS2727

Could someone refresh my memory....
what is the definition of maneuvering speed again?
Old October 26th 04, 05:31 PM
Stefan

PS2727 wrote:

Could someone refresh my memory....
what is the definition of maneuvering speed again?

That you can fully deflect any control surface without structural
damage. However, this does *not* necessairily imply that you can waggle
from one extrem to the other! Actually, you can't do so with many airliners.

Stefan

Old October 26th 04, 06:08 PM
Stefan

Corky Scott wrote: