Flight plan when crossing the boarder

Old July 5th 04, 03:15 AM
Robert M. Gary

Default Flight plan when crossing the boarder

Does anyone know the actual reason you're required to file a flight
plan when crossing the boarding between the U.S. and Canada? Does
someone sit down at the end of the year and try to count operations
based on them? They carry NO customs benefit since customs are handled
separately.

Usually, when we fly south into Mexico, we don't both filing since the
U.S. has no way to actually hand the flight plan to Mexico. Most of
the Mexico AOI don't even have working phones, much less computers.
However, they are always happy to see you arrive at any time. Of
course crossing the ADIZ northbound from Mexico is a different thing
all together.

-Robert
Old July 5th 04, 03:27 AM
Paul Tomblin

In a previous article, (Robert M. Gary) said:
Does anyone know the actual reason you're required to file a flight
plan when crossing the boarding between the U.S. and Canada? Does

Because if you don't, they'll send a pair of F-16s out to check you out.
And then, if they decide not to shoot you down, they send you a bill for
the fuel the F-16s used. You don't want that. :-)

--
Paul Tomblin
http://xcski.com/blogs/pt/
Old July 5th 04, 08:17 AM
Julian Scarfe

"Robert M. Gary" wrote in message
om...
Does anyone know the actual reason you're required to file a flight
plan when crossing the boarding between the U.S. and Canada? Does
someone sit down at the end of the year and try to count operations
based on them? They carry NO customs benefit since customs are handled
separately.

Filing a flight plan when crossing an international border is an ICAO
requirement. Of course that doesn't explain why the requirement hasn't been
waived for convenience between the US and Canada, as have many other
requirements that are standard for international stuff. But it does mean
that it would be a question of overriding the default, which may take
unanimity between diverse Canadian departments. Maybe some of them have
access to Google? :-) http://www.invadecanada.us/

Julian Scarfe

Old July 5th 04, 11:50 AM
Paul Tomblin

In a previous article, Andrew Sarangan said:
What happens if you overfly Canada, but not land? Do you need to file a
flight plan for that too? Admittedly, the only times I have done that were
under IFR, but I don't see why VFR aircraft would be any different.

Yes, you do.

It's even supposed to be helpful if you put "OVERFLIGHT" in the remarks
section, don't know if that's true.

--
Paul Tomblin http://xcski.com/blogs/pt/
We are not gentle tolerant people. We like drastically effective solutions.
Old July 5th 04, 11:56 AM
Paul Tomblin

In a previous article, "Julian Scarfe" said:
requirements that are standard for international stuff. But it does mean
that it would be a question of overriding the default, which may take
unanimity between diverse Canadian departments. Maybe some of them have
access to Google? :-) http://www.invadecanada.us/

How do you know it's Canada that's being intransegent? Look at how much
better CANPASS is than GATE, and you can see that it's the US that is
scared to let their guard down even a little.

Besides:
http://cwd.ptbcanadian.com/

--
Paul Tomblin http://xcski.com/blogs/pt/
You really know you're in trouble when your boss decides upon a suicide
Old July 5th 04, 02:53 PM
Andrew Sarangan

(Paul Tomblin) wrote in
:

In a previous article, Andrew Sarangan said:
What happens if you overfly Canada, but not land? Do you need to file
a flight plan for that too? Admittedly, the only times I have done
that were under IFR, but I don't see why VFR aircraft would be any
different.

Yes, you do.

It's even supposed to be helpful if you put "OVERFLIGHT" in the
remarks section, don't know if that's true.

I thought you only had to file if you were more than 25 miles in Canada?
Old July 5th 04, 07:31 PM
Robert M. Gary

Andrew Sarangan wrote in message .158...
(Paul Tomblin) wrote in
:

I thought you only had to file if you were more than 25 miles in Canada?

In addition, you also have to file anytime you cross a border.