German Anti-Shipping Rocket

Old October 25th 03, 01:15 AM
Thomas W Ping

Default German Anti-Shipping Rocket

I could've sworn that a couple of years ago, I read somewhere of a
German rocket powered (don't *think* it was an air breather), possibly
radio controlled, air launched (H-111H variant?) anti-shipping missile
that saw a *bit* of use toward the end of WWII. I can't, for the life
of me, come up with anything via Google. Did I dream this?

--
Thomas Winston Ping
Old October 25th 03, 01:20 AM
Thomas W Ping

Thomas W Ping wrote:

I could've sworn that a couple of years ago, I read somewhere of a
German rocket powered (don't *think* it was an air breather), possibly
radio controlled, air launched (H-111H variant?) anti-shipping missile
that saw a *bit* of use toward the end of WWII. I can't, for the life
of me, come up with anything via Google. Did I dream this?

piggybacking on my own message

Naturally, a matter of minutes after posting this question, I found what
I was thinking about: the Fritz X missle.

--
Thomas Winston Ping
Old October 25th 03, 04:39 AM
phil hunt

On 25 Oct 2003 00:20:49 GMT, Thomas W Ping wrote:
Thomas W Ping wrote:

I could've sworn that a couple of years ago, I read somewhere of a
German rocket powered (don't *think* it was an air breather), possibly
radio controlled, air launched (H-111H variant?) anti-shipping missile
that saw a *bit* of use toward the end of WWII. I can't, for the life
of me, come up with anything via Google. Did I dream this?

piggybacking on my own message

Naturally, a matter of minutes after posting this question, I found what
I was thinking about: the Fritz X missle.

There was also the Hs 293.

Both were used mostly in the middle of the war, 1943, in the
mediterranean.

(Email: , but first subtract 275 and reverse
the last two letters).

Old October 25th 03, 05:00 AM
Gordon

I have a signed photo of the pilot of the Dornier getting the Knights Cross for
spearing the Roma with the Fritz X glide bomb.

"These first true guided missiles, by current definition, are virtually unknown
today. They were Henschel's Hs 293A and Ruhrstahl's SD1400X, known as "Fritz
X." Both missiles were air-launched from mother bombers and radio-controlled
primarily against maritime targets. It is interesting to note that of the
fifteen battleships lost to airpower (seven in the open sea) one of these, the
41,650-ton Italian flagship, Roma, was sunk by a Fritz X. Later, the British
battleship, Warspite, was hit by a Fritz X and put out of action for six
months. Fritz Xs also sunk the Royal Navy light cruiser, Spartan, heavily
damaged the cruiser USS Savannah, and hit the cruiser USS Philadelphia. The
Hs-293, meanwhile, was responsible for military history's first successful
guided missile attack sinking the British sloop, Egret, on 27 August 1943."

http://www.ctie.monash.edu.au/hargra...ermany_hr.html

v/r
Gordon
====(A+C====
USN SAR Aircrew

"Got anything on your radar, SENSO?"
"Nothing but my forehead, sir."
Old October 25th 03, 07:47 AM
Thomas W Ping

Gordon wrote:

I have a signed photo of the pilot of the Dornier getting the Knights Cross for
spearing the Roma with the Fritz X glide bomb.

That's *way* cool.

[...]

Superb link! Thanks a ton, Gordon.

--
Thomas Winston Ping
Old October 25th 03, 05:32 PM
Gordon

Superb link! Thanks a ton

No problem, Thomas. I looked 'im up - Bernard Jopp, Dornier 215 squadron
commander. The other photo he sent me was taken upon landing - Jopp had just
deplaned and was in the middle of being heartily congratulated by his fellow
aircrews. A single moment in history, when iron bombs saw the use of their
first true replacement, a guided weapon.

Old October 25th 03, 05:42 PM
phil hunt

On 25 Oct 2003 04:00:44 GMT, Gordon wrote:
[...]

There's an article on Wikipedia about Fritz X, Hs 293, and related
missile projects, at:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/German_missiles_of_WW2

Old October 25th 03, 10:54 PM
Matt Wiser

Thomas W Ping wrote:
Gordon wrote:

[...]

How did the Fritz-X and Hs-293 operators guide the weapon to the target?
There had to be some flare or other cue on the bomb to tell the bombardier
where the weapon was in relation to the target.

Old October 26th 03, 07:12 AM
Thomas W Ping

Thomas W Ping wrote:

I could've sworn that a couple of years ago, I read somewhere of a
German rocket powered (don't *think* it was an air breather), possibly
radio controlled, air launched (H-111H variant?) anti-shipping missile
that saw a *bit* of use toward the end of WWII. I can't, for the life
of me, come up with anything via Google. Did I dream this?

piggybacking on my own message

Naturally, a matter of minutes after posting this question, I found what
I was thinking about: the Fritz X missle.

There was also the Hs 293.

Both were used mostly in the middle of the war, 1943, in the
mediterranean.

Yep. Found a lot of stuff on those, too. Fascinating stuff.

--
Thomas Winston Ping
Old October 26th 03, 10:12 AM
ANDREW ROBERT BREEN

In article ,
Thomas W Ping wrote:
I could've sworn that a couple of years ago, I read somewhere of a
German rocket powered (don't *think* it was an air breather), possibly
radio controlled, air launched (H-111H variant?) anti-shipping missile
that saw a *bit* of use toward the end of WWII. I can't, for the life
of me, come up with anything via Google. Did I dream this?

The Germans made a moderate amount of use of two types of ASM from
1943 to mid-1944, after which ECM and fighter opposition pretty well
ruled further use out. The teo types were the Henschel;193 (293?),
which was a rocket-assisted HE weapon, first used in 1943, with the
first sinking being HM sloop Egret in the Bay of Biscay (my father's
old ship - he'd left a couple of months before), with HMCS Athabaskan
damaged in the same action. Admiralty was aware of the problem posed
by these weapons - Egret had an admiralty ECM team aboard at the time of
her loss (none of them got out - in fact the doctor was the only
man to escape from below deck). There were a few more successes for the
weapon - notably the cruiser Spartan - but jamming measures rapidly
rendered it useless.
The other weapon - Fritz-X - was a guided bomb, intended for use against
armoured ships. Sank the Italian battleship Roma and crippled Warspite,
but again was rapidly rendered ineffective by ECM.

--
Andy Breen ~ Interplanetary Scintillation Research Group
http://users.aber.ac.uk/azb/