Which of these approaches is loggable?

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old August 16th 03, 05:22 PM
Roger Halstead

On 14 Aug 2003 09:58:16 -0700, (Robert M. Gary)
wrote:

Bill Zaleski wrote in message . ..
I fail to understand the logic of your statement, Robert. I am not
slamming or bashing, but just trying to understand.

If you "must be IMC from the IAF to the MAP" then legally, you must
have missed on the approach, since you have stated that you are in
"IMC at the MAP". Surely, one must not miss an aproach in actual in
order to use it for legal currency.

Well, you could break at at the MAP (I actually have) but it is true
that you could have to get pretty lucky to get that weather. However,
that is what the Sacramento FSDO says and Mr. Lynch as well. So you

OTOH Ask the FAA, or one of the columns in one of the magazines
sometime in the last couple of years did a clarification as the way it
was written virtually no real approach that could result in a landing
could have been counted for currency.

are correct, a successful approach in actual conditions would almost
never be loggable in their view. For me personally, I log the approach
if I encounter any IMC between the IAP and MAP. However, since I'm a

That was a general interpretation in the magazine. If you ended up in
actual for any part of the approach then the approach counted.

As to practice approaches they had to be flown to the MAP, or to a
landing and you could take the foggles off once close enough to make a
landing.

CFI and I'm flying around with students (sometimes in the clouds) and
often with my wife and small kids, I do an IPC with our local DE every
6 months.

As I recall the IPC a number of the instructors use here is a cross
country to an ILS with a miss and the published hold, then to a
second airport for a VOR and circle to land (depending on the runway)
with a missed. Then on north to an NDB that is also an LOM with a
circle to land...then back home with the VOR and circle to land, or a
GPS approach if you got it.

www.rogerhalstead.com
N833R World's oldest Debonair? (S# CD-2)