Touch and Goes versus Full Stop Taxi Backs

Old September 12th 05, 06:56 AM
Chris G.

Reasons for not doing T&G's are widely posted in this thread. Here are
two reasons to consider practicing them in any airplane you fly:

1) If you have to abort your landing for ANY reason, being up-to-speed
(no pun intended) on your T&G's is invaluable. Think of a deer or a
bird that might wander on the runway at night that you don't see until
it's almost too late. The T&G practice can come in real handy. Same
thing for go-arounds.

What do I do? It depends on the situation. I practice full-stop
landings, touch-and-go's, stop-and-go's, and any other legal (& safe)
approach/landing techniques I can learn.

2) IIRC, currency and recent experience requirements require full-stop
landings. I know this to be fact for student pilot night landings, but
don't recall what it is for me now that I'm a private pilot. Doesn't
matter since I would practice full-stop landings to be sure I meet the
letter of the law anyway.

My 2-cents. Happy Monday!

Chris

Kevin Dunlevy wrote:
A CFI I had lunch with last week suggested I should always do full stop taxi
backs instead of touch and goes when practicing landings. I've frequently
done touch and goes for about an hour when I wanted to do some quick flying,
but I tried his suggestion. I also ran into an old AOPA Flight Training
magazine that had an article suggesting full stop taxi backs instead of
touch and goes. I generally keep the pattern in tight and can do ten touch
and goes in about .8 or .9 Hobbs depending on the amount of other traffic. I
prefer towered airports for this practice, because there is another set of
eyes looking for aircraft.

Should I force myself to always do full stop taxi backs, even thought other
pilots and tower personnel seem to prefer that I do touch and goes? Kevin
Dunlevy

Old September 12th 05, 08:28 AM
Peter Duniho

"Chris G." nospam@noemail wrote in message
eenews.net...
[...]
2) IIRC, currency and recent experience requirements require full-stop
landings.

Full-stop required for night and tailwheel. Otherwise, touch & go is
acceptable.

What's the difference between "currency" and "recent experience"?

I know this to be fact for student pilot night landings

Technically, that's the aeronautical experience requirements for the
*Private Pilot* certificate. Done, of course, while one is a Student Pilot,
a Recreational Pilot, or a Sport Pilot.

But you knew that, right.

Pete

Old September 12th 05, 09:53 AM
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

Bruce Riggs wrote:
What do you do to the gear after landing in a Bonanza?
If I'm in a bonanza, I'll do full stop, as there are a lot of things
you have to do (gear, etc), plus the hobbs only runs when weight is not
on the gear. So taxi time is free, so why not? You get to log that
time.

I have absolutely no doubt that once you retract the gear on a Bonanza after
landing, there's plenty to do! And yes, it'll definitely be a full stop. G

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

VE

Old September 12th 05, 09:54 AM
cjcampbell

I am not a big fan of touch and goes for students, since they tend to
reinforce bad habits. You practice the same bad habit over and over and
pretty soon it becomes very difficult to correct it. Nevertheless, I
often don't have much of a choice.

The tower at Tacoma Narrows has a nasty habit of keeping you waiting
for up to 20 minutes when things are busy. That strongly discourages
taxi-backs. I prefer an uncontrolled field when first teaching takeoff
and landing, but then you start building up commuting costs. Granted,
Bremerton is close by, but it is usually pretty crowded with flight
students from Boeing Field. The only real alternative is Shelton, which
is 20 minutes away. That takes 40 minutes out of an hour and a half
lesson. Practicing stalls and other maneuvers on the way there and back
leaves even less time for landing practice.

Besides this, my flight school likes touch and goes and we are strongly
encouraged to do them.

On the plus side, I feel that most students really don't need a whole
lot of landing practice. Generally, if a student is having a hard time
with landing it is because he needs work in some area he should have
mastered first, such as slow flight, stalls, rectangular patterns,
airspeed control, and the like.

Over time I have come to the view that teaching landings is not all
that difficult, whether you do touch and goes or taxi-backs. The hard
part is getting the student ready for learning to land. Once that is
done, the student usually does pretty good landings from the first try
onwards. Even crosswind landings become instinctive.

Old September 12th 05, 11:22 AM
Cub Driver

On Sun, 11 Sep 2005 19:13:20 -0500, "Kevin Dunlevy"
wrote:

Should I force myself to always do full stop taxi backs, even thought other
pilots and tower personnel seem to prefer that I do touch and goes?

I would say that local practice rules. Many small airports prohibit
touch & go's, whether because the runways are short or because they're
trying to cut down on noise.

I've had the airport manager come out and ask me to use the taxiway
instead of back-taxiing on the runway, but I've never had one complain
about T&Gs. (Well, for me they are stop & go's, but the principle is
the same.) But then I know the local airports that discourage T&Gs.

-- all the best, Dan Ford

email (put Cubdriver in subject line)

Warbird's Forum:
www.warbirdforum.com
Piper Cub Forum: www.pipercubforum.com
the blog: www.danford.net
In Search of Lost Time: www.readingproust.com
Old September 12th 05, 11:34 AM
Cub Driver

On 11 Sep 2005 18:40:08 -0700, "Tony" wrote:

For the record, I don't like Touch and Goes on short runways, but 5000
feet gives you more than enough time to slow down to a walk, d

When my instructor got frustrated at the difficulty I was having in,
let's say, *interfacing* with the runway, we flew 20 miles to another
airport with a loooong runway, so I could practice flying down it at
six inches off the ground. That runway is 4000 ft.

In the Cub, 5000 feet is almost long enough to qualify as
cross-country.

Old September 12th 05, 11:35 AM
Cub Driver

On Sun, 11 Sep 2005 22:56:28 -0700, "Chris G." nospam@noemail wrote:

2) IIRC, currency and recent experience requirements require full-stop
landings

That's true for taildraggers.

Old September 12th 05, 03:00 PM
Newps

Jon Woellhaf wrote:
"Newps" wrote in message news

The Bonanza's got a bad rap with their gear and flap handles. Now that
I've got some time in my Bo I like the gear handle on the left side. That
way rolling down the runway everything that needs adjustment is to the
left of the throw over yoke. Wing flaps, cowl flaps and trim are all
right next to each other, you never get anywhere near the gear. Stay to
the left of the yoke and you are OK.

I'm confused. Which is left of what?

Wing, flaps, cowl flaps and trim are all left of the yoke.
Old September 12th 05, 03:40 PM
Dylan Smith

On 2005-09-12, Kevin Dunlevy wrote:
A CFI I had lunch with last week suggested I should always do full stop taxi
backs instead of touch and goes when practicing landings.

With tailwheel planes or with aircraft with retractible gear, I always
do stop-and-goes. If there is sufficient runway, I don't taxi back
again.

With tailwheel planes, I want to be solely concerned with keeping it
under full control until I'm stationary, not fiddling with
reconfiguration. With retract gear planes, I want to look at the flap
switch to make sure I've not mistakenly grabbed the gear switch.

--
Dylan Smith, Castletown, Isle of Man
Flying: http://www.dylansmith.net
Old September 12th 05, 03:43 PM
Dylan Smith

On 2005-09-12, Bruce Riggs wrote:
What do you do to the gear after landing in a Bonanza?

Not retract it by mistake :-)