Flight Following question

Old December 10th 06, 05:25 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
John T

Default Flight Following question

"A Lieberma" wrote in message
. 18

Or you can just file an ATC flight plan
for VFR flight following. That automatically puts you into the
system.

Filing VFR flight plan DOES NOT put you in the system. It's only for
search and rescue, nothing more.

You don't activate the flight plan with ATC, but with FSS on a VFR
flight plan.

You're both right.

A traditional VFR flight plan is as you describe, but it is also possible to
file a flight plan for VFR flight in the ATC system. In fact, this is
exactly what happens for every VFR flight in the Washington DC ADIZ.

--
John T
http://sage1solutions.com/blogs/TknoFlyer

Old December 10th 06, 05:22 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Milen Lazarov

On 2006-12-10, A Lieberma wrote:
"Stan Prevost" wrote in
:
Or you can just file an ATC flight plan
for VFR flight following. That automatically puts you into the
system.

Filing VFR flight plan DOES NOT put you in the system. It's only for
search and rescue, nothing more.

You don't activate the flight plan with ATC, but with FSS on a VFR flight
plan.

Allen

He did not say to file a VFR flight plan, he said an ATC flight plan for VFR
flight following - you check the IFR box, put VFR or VFR/altitude in the
altitude box.

-Milen
Old December 10th 06, 01:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Jim Carter[_1_]

Old December 10th 06, 02:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
A Lieberma

"Jim Carter" wrote in news:000601c71c5c$d669dee0$4b01a8c0@omnibook6100:

Do you have any quick references for that Milen? I've never heard of an
IFR flight plan with "VFR" in the enroute altitude box. Or are you
referring to filing VFR-on-top? If so, that's a lot different than just
requesting flight following for VFR flights.

Hey Jim,

Did a little research myself and found the following

http://72.14.209.104/search?q=cache:...&ct=clnk&cd=13

See 1155 A. Flight planning.

Sounds to me that what he is doing is fudging the system by filing an IFR flight plan
and annotating it with VFR references in the remarks.

I know when you select the IFR box, it does generate a flight strip to ATC, and that
would be an IFR filing naturally.

Selecting VFR does not generate a flight strip to ATC, nor is a filing with ATC to obtain an
ATC clearance.

To my knowledge, you don't get clearances on VFR operations EXCEPT for class B entry, take offs and landings.

Canada on the other hand does use ATC flight plan for VFR operations. See

Old December 10th 06, 02:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Stan Prevost

As Milen says, check IFR (it is not an IFR flight plan, that is just a
routing flag for ATC vs FSS), put VFR or VFR/120 for 12,000 feet or whatever
your filed altitude is. I also add VFR Flight Following in Remarks to
clarify my intent for some controllers who are not very familiar with the
practice. I recommend only doing this through DUAT/S, as most FSS personnel
are unfamiliar with it.

Stan

Old December 10th 06, 04:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Newps

Jim Carter wrote:

Do you have any quick references for that Milen? I've never heard of an
IFR flight plan with "VFR" in the enroute altitude box. Or are you
referring to filing VFR-on-top? If so, that's a lot different than just
requesting flight following for VFR flights.

OTP is similar but different. OTP is also an altitude you can file but
you'll get an IFR clearance.
Old December 10th 06, 09:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Milen Lazarov

On 2006-12-10, Jim Carter wrote:

Do you have any quick references for that Milen? I've never heard of an
IFR flight plan with "VFR" in the enroute altitude box. Or are you
referring to filing VFR-on-top? If so, that's a lot different than just
requesting flight following for VFR flights.

No, I'm not referring to VFR-on-top, that would be OTP or OTP/altitude in
the altitude box.

A quick copy/paste from DUATS: (go to file domestic, click on Cruising altitude)

You may also use one of the following additional formats:

* OTP (for an IFR flight operating VFR on top)
* OTP followed by a slash and a 2 or 3 digit number (i.e., OTP/120)
* ABV followed by a slash and a 2 or 3 digit number (i.e., ABV/120)
* VFR (for a VFR flight, no specified altitude)
* VFR followed by a slash and a 2 or 3 digit number (i.e., VFR/125)
* A block altitude may be entered using a low limit 2 or 3 digit number
followed by a B, followed by a high limit 2 or 3 digit number. The low limit
must be lower than the high limit. For example, enter 120B160 for 12,000
through 16,000 feet.

-Milen

Old December 10th 06, 03:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Newps

A Lieberma wrote:

"Stan Prevost" wrote in
:

Or you can just file an ATC flight plan
for VFR flight following. That automatically puts you into the
system.

Filing VFR flight plan DOES NOT put you in the system. It's only for
search and rescue, nothing more.

You don't activate the flight plan with ATC, but with FSS on a VFR flight
plan.

What he meant was to file an IFR flight plan except to put VFR as the
altitude. That would generate a strip just like an IFR aircraft but
when you put that transponder code in the data block on the radar scope
shows you as a VFR aircraft.
Old December 10th 06, 09:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Jim Carter[_1_]

Old December 11th 06, 12:37 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Newps

Jim Carter wrote:

That's pretty cool. So if I understand correctly now, I can file an IFR
flight plan, but specify the enroute altitude as VFR/065 (6500') and
that will generate a strip. Can I then call CD and pick up an IFR
clearance to VFR enroute with flight following?

Just file a regular IFR and pick it up how you normally do. When you
get to the point you want to be VFR tell the controller you want to
cancel and receive FF.