EMBRY-RIDDLE wants airplanes

Old December 28th 06, 10:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Macklin

Default EMBRY-RIDDLE wants airplanes

Embry Riddle flight department devastated by tornado

School looking for replacement aircraft to lease

While most EAA members were celebrating the Christmas
holiday on Monday,
the staff at Embry Riddle Aeronautical University in Daytona
Beach,
Fla., was dealing with the aftermath of a tornado that
ripped through
the campus that day. More than 50 ERAU aircraft were
destroyed or
damaged by the tornado, while nine campus buildings were
also hit. The
damage caused university officials to delay the start of
classes for one
week following the holiday recess, with the spring semester
now starting
on Jan. 16.

EAA immediately offered assistance to Embry Riddle in the
aftermath of
the storm, and the university has asked EAA for possible
assistance from
its members. The university is now looking to leaseback, or
rent by the
flight hour, several late-model Cessna 172s (180-horsepower
G 1000 or
conventional equipped aircraft) to replace those lost in the
Dec. 25
tornado. The leases/or hourly rentals would last up to four
months. The
aircraft will be maintained to Embry Riddle exacting
maintenance
standards and returned to the owner/operator with either a
fresh
100-hour or annual inspection.

If you can assist, please send an e-mail to Frank Ayers,
Chairman of the
Flight Department ) or Jack Haun, Director
of
Maintenance ) to discuss lease/rental terms.
Please
provide the N-number of the aircraft and a general
description.

For more information, visit www.eaa.org

Old December 29th 06, 12:17 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
C J Campbell[_1_]

On Thu, 28 Dec 2006 14:03:29 -0800, Jim Macklin wrote
(in article ):

Embry Riddle flight department devastated by tornado

School looking for replacement aircraft to lease

Cessna is also working hard trying to round up some planes. This is a big
deal.

Old December 29th 06, 03:09 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Roy Smith

In article ,
B A R R Y wrote:

On Thu, 28 Dec 2006 16:17:31 -0800, C J Campbell
wrote:

Cessna is also working hard trying to round up some planes. This is a big
deal.

Not if you're an ERAU A&P student. G

I suspect this is also a windfall (literally :-)) for Cessna. It's a knock
on the chin for ERU (and their insurance company), but it'll also probably
double Cessna's orderbook for the next year.
Old December 29th 06, 05:34 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Macklin

Yes it is, I'm sure there are students from all over the
world, on time limited visas that need airplanes to fly.

"C J Campbell" wrote in
message
e.com...

Old December 29th 06, 05:34 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Macklin

Yes and no. They need parts and space.

"B A R R Y" wrote in
message ...

Old December 29th 06, 05:38 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Macklin

Cessna is already working at current capacity, so no or
limited capacity to get ERAU 50 new airplanes in a week or
two. They might even lease a few G1000 equipped C 182 to go
along with the 172s.

What they need is some Cubs for basic pre-solo and solo
training, but I don't run their school.

Old December 29th 06, 05:46 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Thats interesting. I study Computer Science at Purdue University, and
my roommate is on the ATC track of Aviation Management but is taking
Private Pilot flight courses as well. He says you have to be a US
citizen to enroll in the flight courses at Purdue... would this not be
the same at ERAU, or is this a policy I am either misunderstanding or
is unique to Purdue?

Old December 29th 06, 05:58 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Macklin

The TSA has set strict background checks for pilot training.
Perhaps Purdue just doesn't want or need the extra
complications.
http://www.tsa.gov/what_we_do/layers...able_0215.shtm

ups.com...

Old December 29th 06, 06:04 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Macklin

An interesting fact, the USAF almost lost the entire fleet
of B1B bombers at McConnell when the "Andover Tornado"
crossed the southern and southeastern side of the base.
http://www.andovernet.com/tornado/to...oking_back.htm
The most famous of these tornadoes is what has become known
as the "Wichita/Andover Tornado." This tornado first formed
around 5 p.m. CDT near the city of Anthony, about 40 miles
southwest of Wichita. The tornado was relatively small at
that time, coming down and touching the ground on 2
occasions, but causing little damage. At 5:57 p.m. CDT a
larger tornado touched down 1 1/2 miles southwest of
Clearwater, or about 20 miles southwest of Wichita. This
tornado remained on the ground for 46 miles! It moved
through Haysville and the southern sections of Wichita. The
tornado struck McConnell Air Force Base (AFB) at 6:25 p.m.
CDT, causing $62 million dollars in damage and passing
within 2000 yards of the flight-line where more than 80
military jets were parked.

I do hope they have built real shelters for the B1s and B2s,
there are no replacements to buy, borrow or lease.

ups.com...