Using a nook for xcsoar

Old October 16th 12, 03:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Using a nook for xcsoar

I've rooted a Nook and installed XCSoar, per the instructions on Robs Wiki page. I flew last weekend with a serial-to-USB cable ported to my CAI-302. The display is awsome and completely readable in direct sunlight!

My fondest wish is that a version of XCSoar might come available that is grey-scaled, to make it more compatible with the E-Ink display.

Thanks Rob!

Mike Hostage
Old October 16th 12, 03:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Max Kellermann

wrote:
My fondest wish is that a version of XCSoar might come available that is grey-scaled, to make it more compatible with the E-Ink display.

What you can do:

- write a feature request ticket in the XCSoar bug tracker:

http://bugs.xcsoar.org/newticket

Write as exactly as possible what you wish XCSoar to do in the
presence of a grey-scale display.

- collect donations to buy an E-Ink device for an active XCSoar
developer

- motivate somebody to join the XCSoar team and to implement your
ideas; this is the most important part, because time is the most
difficult limit we have to deal with, and more brains means more
wishes come true!
Old October 16th 12, 05:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

My fondest wish is that a version of XCSoar might come available that is grey-scaled, to make it more compatible with the E-Ink display.

There's ongoing development to the Nook's kernel at xda-developers to display screen colors as dithered shades of gray automatically. This solution will allow color applications (e.g. XCSoar) to work without color modification on the Nook's EInk screen.

Rob

Old October 16th 12, 05:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Tuesday, October 16, 2012 11:13:59 AM UTC-5, wrote:
My fondest wish is that a version of XCSoar might come available that is grey-scaled, to make it more compatible with the E-Ink display.

There's ongoing development to the Nook's kernel at xda-developers to display screen colors as dithered shades of gray automatically. This solution will allow color applications (e.g. XCSoar) to work without color modification on the Nook's EInk screen.

I asked the CN team a while ago why they were not using eink, as it offers obvious low power and sunlight readability advantages. Their answer was that the refresh rate was too slow for a modern flight computer. FYI,

John Cochrane
Old October 16th 12, 08:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Kimmo Hytoenen

I asked the CN team a while ago why they were not using eink,
as it
offers obvious low power and sunlight readability advantages.

Their answer
was that the refresh rate was too slow for a modern flight

computer. FYI,
John Cochrane

John,
I could live with those low refresh rate problems.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7ZwZppiIr8

Old October 17th 12, 03:27 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
GM

I could live with those low refresh rate problems. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7ZwZppiIr8

Me too - sign me up! I am tired of my PDA's low sunlight visibility. I will be watching this development closely. Hopefully, something is available by next season.
'GM'
Old October 17th 12, 06:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Simon Taylor[_2_]

On Tuesday, October 16, 2012 5:20:15 PM UTC+1, (unknown) wrote:
I asked the CN team a while ago why they were not using eink, as it offers obvious low power and sunlight readability advantages. Their answer was that the refresh rate was too slow for a modern flight computer. FYI,

John Cochrane

When eink is used for reading books, a display mode is used that gives the most crisp fonts possible. In this mode each pixel can be one of a number of grey shades (usually 16), but at the cost of a slow refresh rate and the need to occasionally flash the screen black (this clears away pixels that have been left in an indeterminate state of grey and ensures you get a consistent, clear picture).

For XCSoar another display mode is used. This only allows each pixel to be black or white, but gives a fast refresh rate. We then use a dithering method (similar to halftoning in printed newspapers) to generate greys. Old school techniques, but they eliminate most of the perceived disadvantages of eink.

Simon
Old October 17th 12, 07:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

I too am interested in an eInk FGC. Thank you for your efforts and please keep the ball rolling.

eInk specs and OS vary greatly from one device to the next so a few questions if I may.

How is NEMA and FLARM info integrated with an eInk device?

Is it correct to assume this XCSoar effort is specific only to the Nook Touch?

Regards.

Ben

Old October 18th 12, 11:15 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Gregg Leslie[_2_]

Folks,

I used a Nook with XC Soar at a contest recently for 2 days. I have to say

that it is absolutely the best display I have ever seen outside. When the
sun
hits it, there is no glare or wash out. No strain on the eyes. Just
incredible. As
far as XCSoar I find it tedious and time consuming and find myself with my

head down to much. As far as user friendly, I find XCSoar over
complicated.
Compared to Glider Navigator 2, which is the simplest program I have ever
used. I do have to give credit to Rob Dunning for simplifying a version on

XCSoar, which is much better, but still frustrating, especially when you
need
to change a setting or task quickly.
The Nook display is just amazing, as far as the refresh rate with XCSoar,
it's
plenty fast enough, and found it comparable to my newer PDA.
It is black and white, still great though. Cheap also!
GL

CAI-302 and XCSoar Dan Marotta Soaring 7 March 29th 12 09:55 PM
xcsoar [email protected] Soaring 40 August 13th 09 09:01 PM
XCSoar in the UK Martin Gregorie[_5_] Soaring 0 August 10th 09 10:46 PM
XCSOAR Travis Beach[_2_] Soaring 3 May 24th 08 03:36 PM
XCSoar jorgie Soaring 2 November 2nd 04 12:05 AM