accesory drive adapter oil leak

Old June 14th 06, 03:57 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Default accesory drive adapter oil leak

I've got an oil leak on our Aztec left engine, IO540 C4B5. The hydraulic
pump on the left engine has a drain/vent hose that is leaking engine oil. It
is definitely not hyd oil. I had a new garlock oil seal pressed into the
accessory drive adapter housing thinking that this was how the oil was
passing into the hyd pump housing, the old seal was hard as a rock. Tonight
I test flew it for about 20 minutes, operating the flaps and gear as normal.
After landing there were a few oil streaks along the inner main gear door.
After refueling and parking the airplane, there were more streaks and a few
drops dripped from the drain hose.

I popped the inner cowl off and pulled the hyd pump housing drain hose, sure
enough, that's where it was coming from.

Does the garlock seal require some time to absorb oil and expand against the
accessory drive shaft? I've been told both yes and no. I'm hoping that after
a flight or two that the seal will lap itself against the shaft.

Any opinions?

Thanks,
Jim

Old June 16th 06, 04:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Does the garlock seal require some time to absorb oil and expand against
the accessory drive shaft? I've been told both yes and no.

Uhh...no

Old June 16th 06, 05:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Agreed, and what I'd always thought....after I pulled it off again, I found
the problem. It was leaking through the gasket into the pump. One of the
nuts for the studs is in an impossible position and wasn't torqued
completely, but I finally found a combination of extensions, crow's foot,
and wrench to get it torqued properly. That particular stud happened to
have the pressure oil journal near it.

Bad news was that the fuel pump was also leaking oil, so we had to put a new
fuel pump on it. But it's all fixed now and dry as a bone!

Jim