A national glider transponder code? Not so fast!!

Old April 7th 10, 06:23 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Phil Umphres

Default A national glider transponder code? Not so fast!!

A national glider transponder code? Not so fast!!

For many years, SSA has been asking the FAA to establish a single
transponder code to be used by gliders nationwide when they were in
VFR flight and not in radio contact with air traffic control. It is
our belief that the assignment of a discrete code to gliders would
enable local ATC tower personnel to better interpret the transponder
returns from glider radar targets and so better advise local power
traffic as to the nature of our aircraft. Combined with education of
FAA air traffic controllers as to the meaning of the discrete glider
transponder code and the nature of glider operations, we believe that
the use of a transponder code dedicated to gliders would lead to safer
glider flight operations.

SSA’s efforts have been led by several dedicated volunteers, and in
recent years particularly by Steve Northcraft and Cindy Brickner.
Their efforts bore fruit this past year when a few brave employees of
the FAA in Washington took on as a project implementation of this idea
of a national glider transponder code. The result was a "Document
Change Proposal" by the FAA, issued in January 2009, to establish code
"0000" as a transponder beacon code to be used nationwide by gliders
flying outside Class A or B airspace and not in contact by radio with
ATC. The tentative implementation date for the code was set as
February 11, 2010.

In the time since this proposal was first circulated, we have waited
eagerly to hear what progress it had made. Much to our frustration,
the bureaucracy went silent and it has been difficult to learn what
was happening. Was the national code going to become the law of the
land on February 11, 2010 or was it one more good idea that was going
to be shot down for reasons unknown to the public at large?

This past week, we were notified by several western state glider
pilots that a change had been made to the "National Beacon Code
Allocation Plan," which is set forth in an obscure FAA document called
Order JO 7110.66D, change effective 11/16/2009. Under the terms of
this document, transponder code 1201 (rather than the earlier proposed
code 0000) is now set aside for glider use nationally. Those
interested can read the document at
http://www.faa.gov/documentLibrary/m...110.66D%20.pdf

Jumping to conclusions, many of us assumed that the FAA’s proposal for
a national glider transponder code had been quietly and mysteriously
implemented without fanfare through Order JO 7110.66D. Accordingly, we
heralded far and wide the arrival of a national glider transponder
code.

I was one of those who loudly announced the effect of JO 7110.66D as
being the culmination of our efforts. Nevertheless, I was troubled by
reports from glider pilots this past weekend that Air Traffic Control
operators seemed unaware of the change. I was also troubled,
independently, by the apparently stealthy nature of the
implementation. And so, on Monday I called the FAA in Washington to
find out what the heck was going on.

What I learned is that WE ARE CLOSE, BUT WE ARE NOT THERE YET.

In order to implement the use of a discrete, single transponder code
dedicated to glider operations nationally several things all have to
come together. First, the FAA (which controls the assignment of
transponder – or beacon – codes), had to agree to assign a dedicated
code to glider operations. The FAA has indeed finally done so and –
after bureaucratic battles with which I will not here entertain you –
the deed is done and the FAA has set aside code 1201 for use by
gliders operating in VFR flight and not in contact with ATC.
Significantly, ATC stations may not assign (at least, may not legally
assign) 1201 to other forms of aircraft, with one exception – by FAR
regulation code 1201 is also used by power traffic transiting through
the LAX Class B airspace.

Unfortunately, formally dedicating a transponder code is but the first
step in the process. The FAA has yet to implement three other
procedural changes (all of which were described in the January 2009
FAA Document Change Proposals) required to make the 1201 code actually
useful. These other changes are crucial as these are the changes that
make modifications to ATC procedures manuals (which tell air traffic
controllers what the 1201 code is and what to do with a target that
carries it) and to the Aeronautical Information Manual, or AIM (which
tells the pilot community what the code is). The implementation of
these additional document changes have been held up by still further
discussions within the FAA.

In conclusion, (1) the FAA has officially set aside beacon code 1201
for use by gliders nationally and by power traffic transiting through
the LAX Class B airspace, (2) but the operating procedures manuals
that tell air traffic controllers and the flying public what to do
with the code have not yet been amended. So, the bottom line is that
we are not quite there yet. Glider pilots who try to use the 1201 code
are likely to find that the field level ATC controllers have not heard
of the change and don’t know what to do with the code. And so, for the
present, gliders should continue to squawk either 1200 or whatever
local transponder code your soaring club may have worked out with your
local ATC office if they wish to fly VFR, outside of Class A and B
airspace, and without maintaining contact with ATC (e.g., no flight
following service requested.)

There are some dedicated FAA employees who are working hard on this
project and who are trying to do the right thing. We thank them
sincerely for their unselfish efforts which are in the best tradition
of the FAA -- that is, working to make flying safer for all of us. I
am told that – with luck – they may have the last few pieces of the
puzzle in place within the next 30 – 60 days. If and when that
happens, I am assured that SSA will be told and we will get the word
out to the soaring community. In the meantime, happy soaring and
continue to fly safely!

Phil Umphres,
SSA Chairman & Region 10 Director
Cell: 214-558-1285
E-mail:
Home: 214-221-0429
Office: 214-999-0035

Old April 7th 10, 01:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jcarlyle

Thanks so much for a clear explanation of where things stand and where
they (might) be going, Phil. It's nice to have a definitive input on
this important issue.

Let me take the opportunity to thank Steve and Cindy for their work.
I've seen a number of Cindy's posts on RAS, and it's obvious that she
is a hard working, dedicated person doing her very best to advance
soaring. It was very disappointing to see her efforts and the SSA in
general put down because the FAA made a stealth release of
information.

I cannot imagine how discouraged you fine folks must get, getting
grief from numbskulls that are always part of the problem but never
part of the solution. Please do know that a lot of us do indeed
appreciate the hard work the SSA volunteers do on our behalf.

-John

interested can read the document athttp://www.faa.gov/documentLibrary/media/Order/JO%207110.66D%20.pdf