MicroAir Display Went Blank

Old January 18th 12, 07:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Default MicroAir Display Went Blank

It was about 4 deg-F at 17,500 MSL in the wave yesterday when the display on
my MicroAir 760 radio went blank. I confirmed that the radio still worked
by switching channels to AWOS, one click to the left, and receiving the
airport weather report. I couldn't tell if the transmitter still worked
since mine was the only aircraft in the air at the time.

I forgot to check after putting the ship away if the display had returned.
Is this normal behavior?

Old January 18th 12, 11:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike the Strike

On Jan 18, 12:57*pm, "Dan Marotta" wrote:
It was about 4 deg-F at 17,500 MSL in the wave yesterday when the display on
my MicroAir 760 radio went blank. *I confirmed that the radio still worked
by switching channels to AWOS, one click to the left, and receiving the
airport weather report. *I couldn't tell if the transmitter still worked
since mine was the only aircraft in the air at the time.

I forgot to check after putting the ship away if the display had returned..
Is this normal behavior?

LCD displays are notoriously temperature-sensitive. Even industrial-
standard ones with extended operating temperature ranges can be
affected. Here in Arizona the problem is usually too much heat and
the displays go black. You might want to check the operator's manual
and see what the specified operating temperature range is, (4 F is -12
C, which could be on the low end).

Mike
Old January 18th 12, 11:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike the Strike

On Jan 18, 12:57*pm, "Dan Marotta" wrote:
It was about 4 deg-F at 17,500 MSL in the wave yesterday when the display on
my MicroAir 760 radio went blank. *I confirmed that the radio still worked
by switching channels to AWOS, one click to the left, and receiving the
airport weather report. *I couldn't tell if the transmitter still worked
since mine was the only aircraft in the air at the time.

I forgot to check after putting the ship away if the display had returned..
Is this normal behavior?

Microair specify the operating temperature range as -20 to +55 C - you
should have been within that.

Mike
Old January 19th 12, 04:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Thanks, Mike

I think I'll go out to the airport today just in case I'm needed to tow or I
can get a tow for another wave flight.

About the time my radio display blanked, my Samsung Galaxy (running XCSoar)
popped up a message, "Battery too cold or too hot - charging stopped" so I
unplugged the USB cable which powers it from the CAI-302. For anyone who's
interested, I spliced a Cambridge cable (+5v and Gnd) with the matching
colored wires on a USB female which I mounted in the panel. Yes, I checked
the wiring diagrams for both cables before doing this and now I don't need
to worry about my Android crapping out on a long flight.

Old January 19th 12, 09:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
GARY BOGGS

I've had this problem with all of my Microairs, so I sent them all in
for a tune up. The shop said there are some known problems with a
known fix. They all work great now! I can't remember the name of the
shop I sent them too. I'll look it up, and post it later when I get
home.

Boggs
Old January 19th 12, 10:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tim Mara

I know the only "warranty" repair center for Microair in the USA is Erie
Aviation and they will be the best equipped and most knowledgeable on all
Microair updates, faults and fixes... I am actually the person that arranged
the set-up between Erie Aviation and Microair for this collaboration and
have used only their service with nothing but great results.
Tim
Please visit the Wings & Wheels website at www.wingsandwheels.com

Erie Aviation Inc.
PO Box 8283