2-place Intercom and 4 Headsets

Old November 12th 03, 03:10 PM
Kai Glaesner

Default 2-place Intercom and 4 Headsets

Hello community,

imagine you have a plane (rented) with a build in 2-place intercom
(sigtronics in this case) and want to give your passengers their own
headsets, so you can communicate with them. It is not necessary for them to
hear the radio transmissions you make, although, it would be nice (if legal
;-).

What do you need? An additional portable 2-place intercom? A Y-cable
extension?

Thanks in advance for your answers.

Regards

Kai Glaesner

Old November 12th 03, 03:44 PM
John T

"Kai Glaesner" wrote in message

What do you need? An additional portable 2-place intercom? A Y-cable
extension?

I purchased a 4-place portable intercom for this type of scenario.

--
John T
http://tknowlogy.com/tknoFlyer

Old November 12th 03, 03:44 PM
Ron Natalie

"Kai Glaesner" wrote in message ...

What do you need? An additional portable 2-place intercom? A Y-cable
extension?

I have a 4-place sigtroncs portable that I used a lot. It seemed to work fine
cascaded into the copilots mic/phone jack.

Old November 12th 03, 03:50 PM
Zeno

Hello community,

imagine you have a plane (rented) with a build in 2-place intercom
(sigtronics in this case) and want to give your passengers their own
headsets, so you can communicate with them. It is not necessary for them

hear the radio transmissions you make, although, it would be nice (if

legal
;-).

What do you need? An additional portable 2-place intercom? A Y-cable
extension?

Thanks in advance for your answers.

Regards

Kai Glaesner

I've tried to daisy chain two portable intercoms together when I had this
same situation. It resulted in nobody being able to hear or speak. I don't
know why this happened. Also had bad results combining a portable intercom
with a panel mount intercom in a 4 seat airplane only equipped with headset
jacks for the front seats.

Old November 12th 03, 04:13 PM
Kai Glaesner

Ron,

I have a 4-place sigtroncs portable that I used a lot. It seemed to work

fine
cascaded into the copilots mic/phone jack.

So I guess you connected your headset to the pilots jack, and copilots and
passengers to the portable?

Old November 12th 03, 04:29 PM
EDR

In article , Kai Glaesner
wrote:

What do you need? An additional portable 2-place intercom? A Y-cable
extension?

Plugging a second intercom into an existing intercom will result in
feedback if the mic plugs are plugged in. This is especially true if
you have the second intercom plugged into the pilots side mic jack. You
may not hear it within the airplane, but if you transmit, all anyone
will hear is a squeal.
Two Y-cords may work, or not , depending on the impedances of the
headsets.
Old November 12th 03, 04:29 PM
Ron Natalie

"Kai Glaesner" wrote in message ...

So I guess you connected your headset to the pilots jack, and copilots and
passengers to the portable?

Nope, I plugged all the headsets into the intercom. The only reason I used
the copilots side is to keep the mess of cords out of my way. I used a
portable PTT connected to PTT in on the intercom.... you may have to investigate
whether this will work on your plane. On some planes I did this with I used
the hand mike in.

Old November 12th 03, 04:33 PM
Ron Natalie

"EDR" wrote in message ...
In article , Kai Glaesner
wrote:

What do you need? An additional portable 2-place intercom? A Y-cable
extension?

Plugging a second intercom into an existing intercom will result in
feedback if the mic plugs are plugged in.

Funny, it works just fine for me. Why would their be feedback. The intercom
looks like a headset to the the thing it's plugged into. The only real fun and
games is getting the PTT's and the squelches right if you intend to actually
use both intercoms. In my case I just plug everybody into the four place
and plug the portable into a single mic/headphone jack (just as if there was
not an intercom installed in the first place).

Old November 12th 03, 05:12 PM
John T

"Kai Glaesner" wrote in message

So I guess you connected your headset to the pilots jack, and
copilots and passengers to the portable?

I've found that it's much better to have all headsets plugged into the same
intercom system. Otherwise you may find that your passengers can hear you,
but you might not hear them.

Old November 12th 03, 05:16 PM
Kai Glaesner

John,

I've found that it's much better to have all headsets plugged into the

same
intercom system. Otherwise you may find that your passengers can hear

you,
but you might not hear them.

I guess if I connect the portable to the pilot's jack and press the planes's
build in PTT you can hear the whole group chatting while transmitting?