David and CJ go flying

Old May 4th 04, 05:12 AM
David Brooks

Default David and CJ go flying

Some may remember that Chris Campbell offered to take me flying "because I
would rather fly than argue any day". That day finally arrived last
Saturday.

I got to Pavco in plenty of time for our appointment on a hot, hazy Saturday
afternoon. Yes, folks, this is the Puget Sound and we're already
experiencing a drought. Chris finished his lesson and introduced me to his
206. Being the student, I did the sumping and clambering (hey, CJ, this is
tendonitis I have in my achilles!) as he grinned while I complained about
having to find yet one more drain point. He clearly and carefully read out
the checklists, which doesn't explain why it took me 10 minutes into the
flight to notice the incorrect HI, which I then set and we thence ignored.
He warned me that my right leg would be getting numb. And off we went into
the yonder, with the sparkling water and islands below us and the landmarks
passing at a speed I'm unaccustomed to.

Still, a high-perf Cessna flies just like a 152. The main difference was
that the glareshield doesn't come up so high, and I was forever pitching up
to make it look like a 172. We did some steep turns, with non-PTS altitude
gains (see previous sentence) and CJ, by now somewhat in instructor mode,
watching where my eyes were pointing. We slow flew, and let her stall. Then,
now fully in instructor mode, he pointed out Elma on his Apollo MX videogame
and said he'd give me some shortfield landing practice.

It takes no time to get there at the speed of a 206 - well, enough time to
read aloud the shortfield checklist - but the plane lands nice and slow, so
I managed to get pretty close to the numbers and only just brushed the grass
with the left wheel (I'd over-corrected the unfamiliar left-turning
anti-P-factor).

Back at Tacoma, Tower asked for a short approach, so I yanked and banked the
plane around the pattern and did another short-field landing. And then
another :-( . Please, Chris, don't tell anyone how I bounced and stalled
your pride and joy.

As to the arguing - he obviously enjoyed showing off the plane. We both
talked about our time in New England, and the places we live now. He showed
me some landmarks of the South Sound that I was less familiar with. We
shared some personal and family history and we agreed that, in the town I
just moved to, I'm probably the conservative. Chris, I owe you dinner.

We regulars should fly together more! Especially as some of us are bunched
together geographically. You learn so much more about a 3-dimensional person
(yes, neither of us is lean and hungry) by sharing cockpit space and a
shared love of aviating.

-- David Brooks

Old May 4th 04, 02:37 PM
Jay Honeck

We regulars should fly together more! Especially as some of us are bunched
together geographically. You learn so much more about a 3-dimensional

person
(yes, neither of us is lean and hungry) by sharing cockpit space and a
shared love of aviating.

Agree 100%. We flew with Paul Sengupta last week, we've flown with
Montblack and others in the past, and we've met many "regulars" in-person
over the years. Without exception, everyone has been terrific.

The written word, while wonderful, really doesn't capture the person very
well. Guys you "think" you know seem pretty different in "real" life, over
a beer.

Hopefully we'll get to meet a bunch more of you at the Pool Party or OSH
this year! You going, David?
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old May 4th 04, 05:41 PM
David Brooks

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message

Hopefully we'll get to meet a bunch more of you at the Pool Party or OSH
this year! You going, David?

Sadly, no.

Old May 4th 04, 07:38 PM
Paul Sengupta

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
We regulars should fly together more! Especially as some of us are

bunched
together geographically.

Agree 100%. We flew with Paul Sengupta last week,

Yay. Even though at 4000 odd miles apart, myself and Jay
aren't quite bunched together geographically.

Sitting in a light aircraft after eating out every night of my
holiday meant we were bunched together geographically
for a short while though.

Paul (do they make elastic seatbelts?)

Old May 4th 04, 08:15 PM
Jack Allison

David/CJ - good for you two. Thx. for the write-up

--
Jack Allison
PP-ASEL

you will always long to return"
- Leonardo Da Vinci

Routine Aviation Career Guy Alcala Military Aviation 0 September 26th 04 12:33 AM
bush rules! Be Kind Military Aviation 53 February 14th 04 04:26 PM
Wm Buckley on John Kerry Big John Piloting 22 February 7th 04 02:19 AM
Enola Gay: Burnt flesh and other magnificent technological achievements me Military Aviation 146 January 15th 04 10:13 PM
seeking info from NW Ontario/ Upper Midwest Pilots flying intoAtikokan David Megginson Instrument Flight Rules 0 July 9th 03 03:04 PM