ASK 21 spin ballast installation

Old March 8th 06, 11:50 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default ASK 21 spin ballast....

Good one, Jack! I'm sorry I missed the party; with your sense of humor
I'm sure it would have been fun time.

But I feel I'm missing something in your advice. You've said twice now
(I'm paraphrasing) to be prepared, that something unexpected will
happen someplace, sometime that I'll have to deal with, and you hope
I'll be ready. With all due respect to your 10,000 hours (and how many
multiples, one wonders), I don't see how that is actionable advice.

Let me turn the tables a bit. Things have changed for you, now that
you're gliding. No simulators to test your skills safely, no full-time
mechanics to care for the aircraft. You've certainly got the flight
experience, but I submit that much of it isn't transferable to what
you're doing now (deliberately flying near stall in turbulent
conditions, perhaps within dozens of feet of a ridge, with no "go"
handle to get you out of trouble).

What are you doing in your new flying career to prepare for the
unexpected, Jack? I'm not joshing you, I really want to know how you're
implementing the advice you gave me.

-John

Jack wrote:
jcarlyle wrote:

Well thanks, Jack, I look forward to seeing you at our 10,000 hour
milestones.

Yours, perhaps. You missed mine. I'll be happy to get a mere thousand in
Gliders.

Jack

Old March 9th 06, 08:05 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default The more things change... [was ASK 21 spin ballast....]

jcarlyle wrote:

Things have changed for you, now that you're gliding.

Only the mission, the money, and the people change.

You've certainly got the flight experience, but I submit that much
of it isn't transferable to what you're doing now....

There's the outline of a potentially interesting topic. What with
patience wearing thin and those of us still with snow on the ground
hoping that the new season is only a few weeks away, it will be a lot
better than casting aspersions on somebody else's glider's esthetics.

Active and retired professional pilots on this list, with both military
and civilian experience, who in addition have a lot more experience with
sailplanes than I, might have some fascinating comments. You'll notice
though, if you are here for awhile, that those with the most to tell
don't like to talk too much about themselves, or about what the rest of
us would call their considerable accomplishments.

But for me, I think all flight experience remains relevant as long as
you can climb, walk, or be lowered into the cockpit. The physical
changes with age add some new challenges and reduce some abilities, but
that's not news. And that's one of the nice things about sailplanes:
they go real slow.

All the things that I've done before, and everything I've experienced in
light planes, fighters, and airliners, relate in some way to all the
things I do in a sailplane. But, I can do some things in a glider that I
could not do in an F-100, in a 757, or in a Cessna. When it comes to
flight experience, it's all additive, John, though not necessarily
linear. Some of the pieces do have to be combined in new ways. Perhaps
one can't really know that, though, without personal experience of some
of the many uses to which we put aircraft.

...(deliberately flying near stall in turbulent conditions,
perhaps within dozens of feet of a ridge, with no "go" handle
to get you out of trouble).

You've actually just described common phases of fighter and FAC
missions, John, but even so we can't ignore all the hours spent between
rotation and clean-up and in the flare over forty years, day and night
and in all sorts of weather. One does learn a little something that way.
And about that so-called "go" handle: the only time I ever thought much
about it was in making sure the safety pins were in before getting in or
out of the cockpit. Only four of the types in my logbook had such handy
devices, so I don't miss them very much. And anyway, they can only save
you from your smaller mistakes.

What are you doing in your new flying career to prepare for the
unexpected...?

I want to keep an open mind about the airplane, the weather, and my own
ability; learn something new on every flight; take on a new challenge,
or three, very season; listen more than talk, and always have a plan B,
and C. It's a LOT more fun that way.

However, preparing for the unexpected is a contradiction. You can only
prepare for those things you are willing to admit can happen. That's the
value of experience, perhaps. It's easier not only to admit that
anything is possible, but to actually believe it.

And now you've made me stay up far too late for an old guy, so good
night -- and good luck.

Jack
Old March 9th 06, 08:32 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Well I for one am pleased that you have Jack, I have enjoyed the read,
thank you.

Paul
--- Snip ---

Old March 9th 06, 03:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Thank you, Jack, for taking the time to write a most informative reply.
I understand your previous comments better, and I see that I
interpreted them incorrectly.

Your "good night and good luck" closing is especially apt.
Paraphrasing you again, flying has at its base the phrase "that which
doesn't kill you makes you a better pilot". At least, I think this
fits with your comments about non-linearity in learning, the need to
always have a plan B and C, and the acquired ability to actually
believe that anything is possible.

The trouble is that this mode of learning is extremely hard on low time
pilots like myself. Of course we get the fundamentals from our
instructors and our textbooks, plus more from reading accident reports
and anecdotes and taking periodic rides with an instructor, but I think
there's so much more that we neophytes could learn from those who
have paid their dues in the cockpit. However, you identified the
problem yourself: your intention is to "listen more than talk" in
a field in which "those with the most to tell don't like to talk too
much about themselves, or about what the rest of us would call their
considerable accomplishments".

Do you have any thoughts on how we newbies might lower this barrier,
Jack? My idea involves plying you with your favorite beverage in a low
key setting, but you're a rarity in that you'll say something to a
stranger. Heck, I wasn't even able to get my own Dad, who flew for the
Navy in WWII, to give me the benefit of his experience by talking about
what he'd learned..

Have fun, fly safe, and good luck to you, Jack.

-John

Old March 9th 06, 06:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

I take it that you agree with NoSpam - being afraid is the best way to
fly?

I think you misunderstood me, I love spinning.. it's not about being
afraid, it is about being aware and prepared, if someone learned how to
fly in a glider that did not spin, then gets into a glider that does
and continues to fly it like the trainer that did not spin, they will
have problems...
Old March 11th 06, 03:21 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

jcarlyle wrote:

The trouble is that this mode of learning is extremely hard on low time
pilots like myself. Of course we get the fundamentals from our
instructors and our textbooks, plus more from reading accident reports
and anecdotes and taking periodic rides with an instructor, but I think
there's so much more that we neophytes could learn from those who
have paid their dues in the cockpit.

I don't know of any shortcuts, John. The head and the hands generally
learn together, at least in my case. Though I can describe someone I
want you to meet, and introduce her, you can't really get to know each
other until I leave the two of you alone.

Glider clubs always need instructors. You'd be in the air a lot, you
think harder about things when you try to teach them, and you'd learn
there are more ways than you might have expected to approach a problem
-- and make it even worse. You'll also learn that the student often has
something to teach you, sometimes even about flying the aircraft.

Do you have any thoughts on how we newbies might lower this barrier,
Jack? My idea involves plying you with your favorite beverage in a low
key setting....

Insight can't be bought, but ply me with assembly, a free tow, and
disassembly, and you'll find out that I can be had.

I wasn't even able to get my own Dad, who flew for the Navy in WWII,
to give me the benefit of his experience by talking about what he'd
learned.

Using an airplane as a weapon is more than just flying one aggressively.
He probably hoped you'd have no need of the knowledge, or perhaps he
thought that what he'd learned couldn't be translated. That's not rare.

Jack
Old March 12th 06, 10:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Jack, you say you haven't instructed in gliders, but I think you
really should - you've got an extremely good way of explaining
things! As for me, I've got a whole lot to learn about flying before
anyone should want to learn from me - maybe someday, though.

I believe you are correct with your comment that my Dad probably hoped
that I'd have no need of his wartime knowledge. I'll never know,
now, but a comment he made 15 years ago leads me to believe you're
right.

I'd be glad to help with assembly, disassembly and pay for your tow
someday, Jack. I think I'd be getting more from the bargain, but just
let me know via e-mail what glider ports you hang out at.

It's been nice talking to you - I've gained some useful insights.
Thanks for starting the conversation!

-John