Glareshield mounted compass?

Old March 9th 14, 02:48 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Echo

Default Glareshield mounted compass?

Anyone have any experience modifying the glareshield for a partially embedded compass? I have a brand new airpath panel mount, but would like the panel space for a transponder, flarm, something more productive. Ideally would prefer to swap my airpath for something I could mount somehow half set into the glareshield, then line the whole game with black felt. Thoughts?

Jordan
ASW20 E

Old March 9th 14, 04:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Steve Koerner

Given that you are going to install a magnetic compass, the best place for it is behind the seat back so that it is completely out of the way of your forward view.
Old March 9th 14, 04:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
mike

"Echo" wrote in message

Anyone have any experience modifying the glareshield for a partially

embedded compass? I have a brand new airpath panel mount, but would like

the panel space for a transponder, flarm, something more productive.

Ideally would prefer to swap my airpath for something I could mount somehow

half set into the glareshield, then line the whole game with black felt.

Thoughts?

Jordan

ASW20 E

Black felt will stop some glare on the glare shield, so does flat black paint. I have a pedestal mount compass towards the front of the glare shield in my Mini Nimbus, and it works well.
Old March 9th 14, 10:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
son_of_flubber

If you need magnetic shielding and you want to save a few bucks, scavenge the sheet metal case of an old harddrive. It has a nickel rich alloy that blocks magnetic fields generated by your DC power and vario step motors etc... Put the shield around the offending item, or between the item and the compass. Aircraft Spruce also sells unblemished sheets of the this material.

Old March 9th 14, 10:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
kirk.stant

I'm totally with Steve Koerner on this one - Sticking a useless piece of 18th century hardware on the glareshield where it obstructs the field of view forward is ridiculous and potentially dangerous.

Seriously, have you EVER navigated using your mag compass as the primary nav instrument?

In my LS6, a compass on the glareshield will completely block my view of the towplane when in normal high tow. It was the first thing I pitched when I got the glider. I replaced it (to keep the A&Ps happy) with a small PZL ball compass tucked in a corner of the instrument panel. It has now been moved due to the mounting of a PFlarm butterfly display in it's prized bit of panel real estate, and will be relocated in the shade behind my Oudie; so when the end of the world happens and all the GPS satellites fall out of the sky I can still pretend to navigate (until the earth's magnetic field switches again - it's due).

Another good place to put it is in the side map pocket - then you can pull it out and admire it when needed. Very retro, and all...

Kirk
66
Old March 9th 14, 11:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Do like the MD-80 does:

Standby compass is behind the pilots. When all hell breaks loose, and you need to navigate via this compass, you flip up a little mirror on top of the glare shield and it reflects/mirrors the compass behind you.. You can't believe it till you see it.

Yes, the FAA approved this for use, especially in an emergency...

That's why I fly Boeing!
Old March 10th 14, 01:38 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
son_of_flubber

On Sunday, March 9, 2014 6:47:24 PM UTC-4, kirk.stant wrote:

Another good place to put it is in the side map pocket

I have my backup backup compass back behind the seat back in my landout kit. A compass is the best tool if you ever need to bushwhack in dense woods.
Old March 13th 14, 06:04 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Echo

It's part of my manufacturer issued type certificate as well as a part 91 reg. As a professional pilot, I just assume not hang my livelihood out there with some hokie backup compass. That being said, I agree that it's useless with the exception of a very few scenarios. I do love the DC9 series compass. So much swing error that it has to be mounted on the aft cockpit bulkhead. Seen it many times. Awesome. Incredible that thing was designed looking at slide rules through thick glasses before we even engineered the Lunar Lander. What a TANK.

Jordan
Old March 13th 14, 10:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Remde

Hi,

We installed a PAI-700 vertical card compass far forward in our DG-1000.
There was a recess near the front of the instrument panel cover that must
have been designed for some sort of compass that was no longer in the plane.
The vertical card compass mounted perfectly and is partially recessed. It
fit using the existing mounting holes. We can see about 1/2 to 2/3 of the
top of the compass. That is plenty to use it easily. It looks good and
works well and doesn't block vision nearly as much as it would if it were
mounted using an L-bracket on top of the instrument panel cover. I don't
have any photos of the installation handy, but I can take one in a few weeks
if that would help. It is this compass.
http://www.cumulus-soaring.com/precision.htm

Good Soaring,

Paul Remde