P-47/51 deflection shots into the belly of the German tanks,reality

Old August 19th 03, 03:05 AM
Kevin Brooks

"Emmanuel Gustin" wrote in message ...
"Kevin Brooks" wrote in message
m...

Your own website on this subject indicates that the total kinetic
energy available in a P-47's fully loaded weapons dwarfs that
available to the Tempest (add up the available kW for each, based upon
full ammo load, and you will see what I mean).

It is about 50% more -- but then, the guns and ammunition
of the P-47 also weighed 64% more! The P-47 could have
carried, for a similar weight as its eight .50s, six Hispano
cannon with 200 rpg, instead of four.

Such figures simply indicate that the RAF was satisfied
with a lower ammunition capacity than the USAAF;
willing to sacrific combat endurance for lower weight.
In fact, if maximizing "stored muzzle energy" is your goal,
the 20 mm would still be a better choice than the .50. The
20 x 110 round delivers about 48 kJ (45 kJ in the shorter-
barreled M3 and Mk.V guns) and weighs 257 gram; the
12.7 x 99 round delivers 17 kJ and weighs 112 gram. For
the same weight, you can store more energy as 20 mm rounds
than as .50 rounds.

I used muzzle energy because it was what was available; the more
telling figure would be the remaining energy at typical CAS/BAI
engagement range (and I'd think that would tilt even more heavily in
favor of the .50 cal, as it did not bleed velocity as quickly as the
20mm). Yeah, there is the factor of the explosive filler in the 20mm,
but then again there is the consideration that a fair number of them
were duds, and in the CAS/BAI role a lot of them would have been
wasting their explosive yield after burying themselves under dirt
cover 9and it would not have taken much cover to render that meager
20mm filler quantity moot).

One of the driving factors towards larger calibre is, quite
simply, efficiency. Look at the Typhoon Mk.IA: That dozen
.303 guns did not quite match a single 20 mm for firepower.

Careful, or you'll end up with a hypothesis that says, "Bigger is
always better, so the best aircraft armament was the....37mm!" Or do
you have a cut-off for where that bigger equals more efficient no
longer applies?

It also says that the .50 cal was not "deficient" during WWII.

It says, or at least I intended it to say, that the .50 was sufficient
provided enough guns were installed and the target wasn't too
sturdy.

"However, the .50 remained a reasonably effective weapon against
fighters and the lighter bombers, if enough guns were installed;
usually six in American-built fighters. Only during the war in Korea
the .50 was clearly proved to be deficient in destructive power."

I get your drift here regarding the target characteristics--but allied
aircraft were not facing tremendously sturdy adversaries in the
air-to-air role in either theater (Pacific or Europe). The gist of
this thread (at least began) in regards to the CAS/BAI role--and I
can't see where anyone can say that the 20mm was proven to summarily
exceed the performance of the .50 cals in that regime either.

That's a far cry from saying that the .50 was the best
possible choice.

For gosh sakes, I am not saying that! I said that there was not enough
difference exhibited during WWII service, in terms of terminal
performance (i.e., its performance in the CAS/BAI role), to pronounce
it decidedly inferior, or for that matter superior, to the 20mm!
Another poster claimed that the 20mm was the decidedly superior
strafe/CAS/BAI weapon in comparison to the .50 cal during the war--I
don't think there was enough of a real difference exhibited in
operations to support that.

Brooks

The .50, like many other US weapons of WWII,
corroborated Stalin's dictum that quantity has a quality of its
own. It's quality was not its performance, which was average
by WWII standards -- not even surprising for a gun that was
of relatively old design -- but in the fact that it was a decent,
very reliable, mass-produced weapon; and that it was widely
standardised, a very important consideration for a rapidly
expanding force.

Old August 19th 03, 07:55 AM
Tony Williams

(Kevin Brooks) wrote in message . com...

Careful, or you'll end up with a hypothesis that says, "Bigger is
always better, so the best aircraft armament was the....37mm!" Or do
you have a cut-off for where that bigger equals more efficient no
longer applies?

There are two separate issues he efficiency, and optimum
performance.

Efficiency is simply a matter of power-to-weight ratio, in terms of
the energy (kinetic and chemical) delivered for a given installed
armament weight. Cannon have a general advantage over MGs because of
the added chemical element, but bigger cannon are not necessarily
better: the USAAF's 37mm M4 was very inefficient (less than the .50
Browning), mainly due to its low rate of fire.

Optimum performance is a balance between hit probability and
destructiveness. On one extreme, you have the few RAF fighters
equipped with twelve .303s; very high hit probability, negligible
destructiveness against tough targets. On the other you have those
German bomber-destroyers equipped with one 50mm cannon; not much
chance of scoring, but one hit should do the trick. The optimum choice
varied depending on the circumstances. HMGs like the .50 were fine
against smaller and/or less protected targets, 30mm best against tough
heavy bombers. A battery of 20mm proved to be the best all-round
compromise.

Tony Williams
Military gun and ammunition website:
http://www.quarry.nildram.co.uk
Military gun and ammunition discussion forum:
http://forums.delphiforums.com/autogun/messages/
Old August 19th 03, 12:56 PM
Lisakbernacchia

Subject: P-47/51 deflection shots into the belly of the German
tanks,reality
From: (Tony Williams)
Date: 8/19/2003 2:55 AM Eastern Daylight Time
[...]

Even if they didn't work too well
I guesss you never flew
Old August 19th 03, 09:10 PM
Tony Williams

(Lisakbernacchia) wrote in message ...
tanks,reality
From:
(Tony Williams)
Date: 8/19/2003 2:55 AM Eastern Daylight Time
[...]

I wouldn't want to have flown a plane fitted only with American
Hispanos, but fortunately there were very few of those. British
Hispanos, or German MG 151/20s, were a different matter.

Discussion forum at: http://forums.delphiforums.com/autogun/messages/
Old August 19th 03, 11:39 PM
Paul J. Adam

In message , Kevin
Brooks writes
"Paul J. Adam" wrote in message
Fit for purpose. The cost of stopping the line, debugging a notional F6F
cannon armament, securing sufficient cannon, ensuring supply of spares
and parts, and managing multiple supply lines outweighed the benefit of
upgunning the Hellcat.

And why the Bearcat entered into production in 45 with MG's...?

And why it was regunned with 20mm? (You have a point, though, the switch
happened later than I thought)

Why were the first Hawker Typhoons armed with .303 MGs? Because that was
the quickest way to get a new type flying.

The armament on the Corsair changed between prototype and production
machines--why do you suppose, if the USN was not happy with the .50
cal, this did not happen with the F8F?

Then why did they change to quad 20s, if 4x50" was perfectly sufficient?

For night raids with incendiaries? Gunners are useful as lookouts rather
than killers.

Yes, even for those night raids. My father, still alive and kicking,
performed night raids with incendiaries, and yes, they had their guns
onboard. If you think it was as widespread as some pubs would have you
believe (though as best i can determine most of those pubs merely
mention Lemay's (in)famous decision and *assume* that is what
followed), why can't we find very much evidence of this in crew
accounts from various units?

Jumping threads, for night bombing I'd have binned the mid-upper turret
on the Lancaster and Halifax, and put 2 or 4 .50s in the tail (possibly
with two crewmen, doing shifts to keep their alertness up). For day
bombing, I'd have kept single calibres in each turret, but fuselage guns
get .50 and the tail gets twin 20s.

I'd think the MG, regardless of our differing views on its fighter
usage, would have been a better choice for a bomber, especially in a
night role.

The .303 was really too light, even in quadruple batteries, and the 20mm
too heavy for convenient flexible mounting. The .50 was a good
compromise: decent weight of fire, adequately destructive projectile,
available with 'headlight' tracer for deterrent fire, and light enough
to be put in power-operated turrets.

20mm for fighters, .50" for flexible guns

Fleeting targets with a generally closer detection range
would I think be better handled by high volume of fire (and even you
would agree that it is easier to carry a few hundred rounds of .50 cal
than it is an equivalent amount of 20mm) as opposed to placing
emphasis on hitting power.

Bombers didn't have ammunition problems, as a rule: Lancasters carried
about _two thousand_ rounds of .303 for the tail guns - each! 99% of
missions fired less than 250-odd, which is 150rpg of cannon ammo if
you've got quad 20s aft. Also, the M2 didn't fire any faster than a
Hispano.

Trouble is, the Hispano wasn't easy to mount in a turret, and

Same reason the Typhoon was first produced with twelve .303 guns - "what
was available to get this thing flying".

For heavens sakes, we changed the armament fit for the Corsair during
the period between prototype and production (and I would bet we can
find others where similar changes were made). Are you thinking the
rush to get the Bearcat into operations in 45 was somehow more intense
than getting the Corsair into service earlier in the war to replace
the likes of Buffalos and Wildcats?!

If the Bearcat was so great with fifty-cals, why were most produced with
cannon? Why go through the hassle of change?

Hey, I am not arguing that the USN started its shift to the 20mm
(though I was surprised to see they predated the USAF in this regard
to the extent they did), I was pointing out that the USN did not up
and decide that the .50 cal was a decidedly inferior armament to the
20mm, as you seemed to say in the initial exchange that started this
thread.

20mm was superior enough to be worth changing over. Doesn't make the .50
"useless", just less efficient at turning payload into carnage.

Except that comparing typical batteries, you're comparing two 20mm to
three .50" rounds. You seem to have this notion that the M3 .50 arrived
in 1942 - it was a postwar innovation.

In terms of CAS/BAI use, which this was all about (don't know how/why
we shifted off into the air-to-air...), an examination of the .50 cal
versus the 20mm could lead to several conclusions. I believe I pointed
out that the typical full weapons load on the P-47 with its eight
MG's, in terms of total kW of power involved, dwarfed that of the
Tempest with its four Hispano V's.

Hey, by that argument the Lancaster's huge ammo load for the tail guns
made it _lethal_.

How many rounds were fired, with how much energy, in a typical firing
pass? Carrying more rounds gets you more firing passes, but doesn't
increase the lethality of each pass.

Now, I don't think that means that
the P-47 was *better* than the Tempest in the CAS/BAI role--I just
think it means that you cannot out-of-hand discount the .50 cal as
being inferior in those roles (and against the types of targets that
both were engaging in that conflict) to the 20mm.

Certainly when the US AC-130s did some comparative trials against truck
targets, 7.62mm was found to be basically useless: 20mm very effective
if fired from low enough for reliable fuzing (flying above 37mm range
meant many rounds tumbled before impact): and 40mm was good but not
infallible.

Was the US or UK pattern of bayonet superior in close combat? Where's
evidence to prove it one way or another?

Exactly; they were both effective in their role (for what little use
they saw in actually sticking people). You have not seen anyone
claiming that either was definitely superior, have you?

Actually, I've had a US enthusiast get very abusive about the "provable
uselessness" of the British spike bayonet of the period, but that's by
the by. Not even "one was better than the other, but both worked". (And
no, he didn't have any _evidence_, or even any analysis, he just didn't
like the look of the British bayonet)

CAS/BAI aircraft used their guns after their primary ordnance was
expended. Guns were used after the primary weapons were expended.

Not necessarily. I believe that, like today, it would depend on the
nature of the target engaged as to what particular weapon was used,
and when.

As a rule, you'd use primary weapons first, with guns used if repeat
passes were feasable.

The aerial rockets of the day were rather effective, but
accuracy was not always their best suit.

Whereas guns were accurate but lacked lethality against anything
hardened, and also were essentially point weapons.

Typhoon pilots (4x20mm, apart from a few with 12 x .303") would fiercely
argue that point.

Then why was the RAF so happy to use the P-47 through the end of the
war?

Because it was a really good aircraft, even if its gun armament was not
quite optimal.

Was the original M1 tank a failure because it was armed with the L7
105mm gun, rather than the later 120mm? Did the first few thousand
Abrams crews weep bitter tears because they only had a combat-proven
105mm gun instead of a 120mm?

For the same weight of guns and structure, the P-47 could have hauled
six 20mm into battle. Or four guns, and more of its primary weapon
(bombs, rockets and fuel... loiter time matters a lot for CAS)

It about doubled the amount of energy that it could bring to bear on a
targets,

No, that's a function of ammunition storage. Eight .50s put about half
the energy on target of four 20mm guns for a given firing pass (which is
limited by time not ammunition)

While the P-47 carried a lot of ammunition, it needed twice the armament
weight to do so. A P-47 with 4 x 20mm could have made more firing passes
for the same weight, or delivered the same destructive energy and had
some weight over.

The Germans after 1918 determined that the Kar98 rifle was "darned
effective". The US decided that a five-shot bolt-action rifle was
lacking, and produced and fielded the M1 Garand. (The UK looked at
alternatives but refused to pay for them)

Sitting on your laurels gets you in trouble. That's the trouble with
having a capable weapon that's been surpassed (think the Lee-Enfield in
1938 or so). Yes, it's got superb history; it went on to win a war. But
was it really the best possible option? Or would we have done better had
we selected a .280" short-case selective-fire rifle in 1936?

Different weapons, different characteristics in comparison (i.e., rate
of fire), and different target sets. I don't see the link to the .50
cal vs. 20mm issue.

The US had a really, really good .50 MG at the end of WW2. Good against
aircraft, against tanks, against people, against pretty much anything it
was fired at.

By 1941 it was no longer an antitank weapon but it was still very
effective in all sorts of roles. That selfsame Browning M2 (albeit in a
modified form to improve the barrel change) is _now_ in service with the
British Army, adopted about seventy years after the US took it on board.

Not by the USN, though, who were selecting existing 20mm weapons over
existing .50" guns..

And they were killing very few Migs with those 20mm's...

Out of how many engagements? The figures I'd like are the numbers of
times aircraft got MiGs under the pipper and fired, and the numbers of
kills.

The USN had picked 20mm by 1945.

Really? Then why was an aircraft that entered production that year
still carrying the .50 cal's?

Why were most produced with 20mm?

How many P-47 sorties? How many A-36 sorties?

I have no idea. Nor do I care. The fact is that the A-36 and P-51 did
fly CAS/BAI, though obviously not as often as the P-47 which formed
the backbone of IX TAF, etc, in that role.

By that argument the B-24 was a CAS/BAI aircraft, although it didn't fly
many such sorties. Hey, the C-130 is an anti-shipping striker, it flew a
couple of such sorties in 1982...

Yep. What is easily forgotten today was that Korea was a peripheral
concern for the West. The threat was on the Central Front in Germany and
_that_ was where effort was focussed: Korea got what could be spared.
Nobody was going to pay to re-gun WW2 leftovers for fighting in
Southeast Asia.

Didn't we do exactly that, and more, with the B-26 Invaders?

Not particularly, considering they were being withdrawn by war's end.
They were used because they were available, and the best was made of
what was spared (stories of aircrew shovelling tacks out of the bomb-bay
during 'Operation Strangle' in hope of bursting NK truck tyres come to
mind - brave, but not the mark of a really co-ordinated campaign)

Because it was the best possible weapon? Or because it was fitted to the
available aircraft? When did Korea ever get first call on forces? (The
F-84 saga is a great example)

With the F-86 it seemed to.

With the F-84 it certainly wasn't, and Korea was thoroughly behind
Europe and the US in terms of supplies of new-model aircraft.

With the F-86 the shortage of numbers is indicative. The US could have
blackened the Korean sky with aircraft... except for other commitments
elsewhere.

Your assumption, not mine. If you found yourself in combat armed with a
.38 Special rather than a .357 Magnum, would you insist on being pulled
out of battle to be re-armed, or would you fight on with what you had?

Come on--re equipping of units was *continuous* during the Korean War.

When improvements were available.

Improvements were implemented in the field as well (see the history of
the large capacity drop tanks on the F-80's).

Changing fighter armament isn't a field mod unless explicitly designed
in, especially not on early jets with their sensitivity to gas
ingestion.

That's because you insist on seeing matters as "because the 20mm is
better, the .50 must be useless". And that just is not so. The .50 is a
good weapon; just not the best.

And the 20mm of WWII can be claimed, hands-down, as being the "best"?

Depends. For shredding unarmoured Japanese aircraft? I'd toss a coin for
most missions, vote 20mm for killing Kamikazes. For shooting at
Luftwaffe fighters? Probably the 20, but the Browning will have
adherents. For strafing? Explosive payload is a significant edge. For
shooting at armoured bombers? 20mm is really too small and .50 is
useless (but that was never an Allied mission).

Is it _so much_ better that I'd order a switch from something that
worked quite adequately, is in universal service, and has a huge user
base, in the hope that the replacement's theoretical advantages proved
real? Probably not, especially if the replacement was proving unreliable
(as the US Hispanos were). The USN decided to move to 20mm regardless
(certainly on the SB2C) despite the negatives.

After all, the UK went from .303 to 20mm without an intermediate step,
which might colour thinking. The US discovered .30 was of limited value,
but had a very good .50 available and a co-operative target set.

I don't think so; I 'd give them parity.

Just don't see it. The 20mm fires at the same rate, with the same
velocity, with a much more destructive projectile.

If the .50 really offered parity, why weren't the F-100 and F-8 armed
with six .50" guns? (In the case of the F-8, which had persistent gun
problems, that might have even been a good idea)

What's the cost of changeover? Consider changing production for the F6F
- you now need two armourer streams, two training streams, twice the
spare parts, two ammunition pipelines, two parts chains...

Exactly what occured with the Corsair and the Bearcat anyway--so why
would this have been a great issue?

Because it _was_ an issue? Case-by-case judgement. Evidently worth
forming some specialist Corsair units, regunning the Bearcat, but not
worth changing the Hellcat yet.

From the OA of that conflict.

Missess are still relevant because very few pilots shoot to miss. You
fire when you think you'll hit. If you hit and don't kill... that's bad
news, as bad as firing and missing. .

The .50 was able to hit, but had trouble killing, MiG-15s.

And the performance of the 20mm? Not many 20mm kills were registered,
IIRC...

How many 20mm shots were taken? The Navy's jets were relatively few in
number and lacking in performance, but how many firing opportunities did
they turn into confirmed kills compared to Sabres?

Shades of Linebacker II: while the USAF complained that "lack of guns
was the problem" and achieved around a 2:1 kill ratio, the wholly
gunless USN achieved 6:1 and persuaded the NVAF that the Air Force were
easier marks. In raw kills, the USAF killed more, but they were a lot
less effective doing it. (Lots of factors: pilot training, weapons
maintenance, doctrine, tactics... post-war often hidden under a mantra
of 'we needed more guns' )

With extra weight of guns and ammo, invalidating the comparison.

Hey, the 47 carried more guns--is that a crime?

More guns and more ammo means more weight. In this case, about six
hundred pounds more weight. That's weight not usable for other weapons,
fuel, pilot armour, or just extra agility (lighter for the same
horsepower).

If I load a three-quarter-ton 'mission package' into your favourite
NASCAR racer, am I handicapping its performance if the same package in
other cars weighs less than half a ton?

maybe that was one
reason it was considered by many to be more effective than the
Tempest...

The P-47 was considered better than the Tempest? Source for this?

(I can see it competing very well with the Typhoon. But the Tempest?)

Interesting that the 'standard' 6 x 50" battery is disregarded and
we're now into comparing a "six fifties-equivalent" cannon with "eight
fifties".

You were the one who brought up europe versus the Pacific, right? And
you seem to find that the Tempest was a better CAS/BAI gun platform
than the eight-gun P-47...or not?

Yep. And the P-47 still puts half the energy downrange of a quad-20
armed fighter, for the same burst length.

So, when was the last time a frontline fast-jet chose .50 over 20mm?

Strawman. We were talking WWII strafing operations, weren't we? before
we got sidetracked into Korea?

Okay, then the USN evaluated strafing weapons for their new divebomber
(which would do noticeable amounts of strafing) and picked 20mm over
..50cal.

I agree completely. The US Navy also agreed and put 20mm in all its new
production. The USAF stuck with .50" and found it lacking in battle
(else why switch to a larger calibre?)

Uhmm...it seems that the USN was still quite satisfied with the .50
cal during WWII, enough so that it had that armament included in
fighters produced during the closing months of the war. That they
thought they could increase their hitting power by shifting to the
20mm is evident, and yes, they began that shift as the war closed--but
they apparently were still quite happy with the .50 cal MG.

So why switch, if .50 was just as good?

You say it was no better air-to-air and no better air-to-ground - so
changing was pretty damn stupid!

The USN looked ahead,

They did? And what crystal ball were they using? In 1945 the USN was
looking no further ahead than the invasion of Japan, IMO.

Not true by a long shot, as far as I can tell.

figured they needed more destructive guns. The
USAF insisted their .50" was adequate. A war proved the USAF wrong and
the USN right.

And all of those F9F Mig kills happened when...?

What's the lethality of a 20mm firing pass compared to a .50 firing
pass? What did the next generation of USAF fighters appear armed with?

By this argument, roughly 5% of the US MiG kills in 1972 were scored by
guns... suggesting that, far from being the crucial weapon often
claimed, the gun was a relatively marginal weapon by then.

It's your strawman, not mine.

No, it is not.

The .50 is an excellent weapon for strafing, according to you, making up
in volume of fire for its lack of round-for-round lethality. So, why not
a battery of .50s instead of the GAU-8?

Why is the GAU-8 so much better for
strafing than a battery of .50" guns? By your argument, the explosive
HEI shells and the penetration of the AP rounds should be oughtweighed
by the sheer volume of fire from a equal-weight battery of .50.

There were no GAU-8s available in WWII. Period.

We're now talking about arming the A-10 in the early 1970s, where there
were both GAU-8s and M3 Brownings (and many other options beside)

The threat was
different in 1945 than it was in 1975 (if you had not noticed).
Period. You understand now?

Yes. When was the A-10 designed? When did strafing change so radically?

The A-10 was designed for CAS/BAI. For tank-killing its primary weapon
is the Maverick missile, for killing APCs/IFVs it uses guns and cluster
bombs.

Its 30mm was a armored vehicle killer. Period. Including tanks.

Tanks that could be caught from behind without undue exposure of the
aircraft. I submit that this is a fairly restricted target set.

Period. It is only reasonable that it would have used its PGM's first
against harder targets (duh!).

Not "duh" at all, given the number of armchair commentators who insist
that the GAU-8 is some sort of ultimate weapon (rather than a rather
good airborne 30mm cannon) and that it is the A-10's "primary weapon".

One of the problems the A-10 has acquired is excessive expectation:
there is a significant fanbase that is convinced that the GAU-8 will
defeat modern MBTs in the frontal arc, and base their thinking
accordingly.

Secondary armament is by its nature secondary. Show me where the .50
overcame its theoretical disadvantages to prove itself superior to the
20mm.

Unlike you, I don't claim one was superior to the other.

So, when was the last time anyone armed an aircraft with a battery of
..50 machineguns?

I have
repeatedly said that they were both effective, and nonone can draw any
clear claim to superiority in the CAS/BAI role *during WWII* for
either. Is that really that hard to comprehend?

No, even though I disagree. The 20mm was more effective when analysed,
but both batteries were pretty horrible for the recipients.

The Lee-Enfield wasn't as effective as the M1 Garand, but it still
worked well enough to serve out the war even though a .280 semi-auto
would have been better (and a short-cased assault rifle even better
yet). We didn't get an automatic rifle until after Korea (and I was
still using the same rifle when I signed up in 1989). Doesn't mean the
Lee-Enfield was bad - just that some other possibilities would have been
better.

Okay, I know you can't. Where was the last time anyone built a
frontline fighter armed with .50" guns? _Everyone_ abandoned the calibre
for fixed-wing jets in the 1950s (still valued for rotary-wing, but
that's life)

Are you going into serial production of scarecrows? The way you tote
out these strawmen...

No, I'm just curious. If the .50 was effective, why was it, the huge
infrastructure for its production and its support, and all the trained
crew to maintain it abandoned?

Why change unless the 20mm was better?

How many firing runs can you make? "One pass, haul ass" is a mantra for
a very good reason.

Not during WWII, apparently. Going "Winchester", or bingo on fuel,
were the primary reasons for leaving the area.

In other words, 'expendables' are key - fuel and ammunition.

And guess what - weight spent on ammunition is weight not available for
fuel. It's also not available for more bombs or rockets, which are the
primary CAS/BAI weapons.

Yep. Because going back for multiple passes against well-defended
targets was a great way to lose pilots and aircraft.

Oh, so now it is not general CAS/BAI we were discussing, as the thread
started out, but attacking "well-defended targets" (not many CAS
targets of the day met that criteria in regards to air defense).

CAS targets tend to shoot back, with increasing effectiveness after the
first attack.

But
hey, since you keep toting out the A-10 in this WWII based debate, why
not give the groundpounders a few Stingers as well...

That _would_ rule out most A/G guns use.

Yes. The P-51B had huge trouble with its .50" guns at first - was that a
problem with the M2 Browning, or the installation in the P-51B?

Again, are you claiming that the 20mm cannon of the day were as
relaiable as the M2's? Those in US service during WWII sure did not
seem to be...

The US had some self-inflicted problems in that regard: the UK was a lot
happier with its guns. (Tony Williams, predictably for a historian of
the issue, has chronicled the matter and offered a history)

How many hits were scored at six hundred yards? How many kills were
confirmed when fire was opened at that range?

And just how freakin' close do you think the average strafe was
conducted at?

Far enough out for aircraft to routinely run out of ammo, apparently,
meaning some _long_ open-fire ranges.

Given issues of gun harmonisation, 800 yards would be a long open-fire
range.

We are talking CAS/BAI here; or do you think they all
came back with telegraph wires and fir boughs in their cowlings?

That's the problem of using guns for CAS/BAI: how to pull out in time
without flying through own ricochets, or terrain, or ground fire, while
still getting close enough to be effective.

Quite possibly.

No possible about it, unless you have managed to contravene the laws
of aerodynamics and drag.

Trouble is, the 20mm shells have explosive fillers, the .50 rounds do
not. This makes quite a difference in that range band where .50s aren't
effective but 20mm are still exploding.

On the other hand, explosive shells are more lethal and
less velocity-dependent than ball rounds.

For gosh sakes, the amount of explosive in the 20mm of the day, not to
mention its relative low pwer, did not make them the battlefield
clearing agent that you seem to find they were.

It made them significantly more lethal than a streamlined and
ballistically-shaped 20mm ball would have been. (Otherwise, why bother
with 20mm HE?)

One has to wonder how
many of those rounds buried themselves in the dirt before "burping"
when used in the CAS/BAI role...

Not enough to argue against the calibre, from the evidence.

State your assumptions and we'll explore.

ISTR the Tempest carried enough rounds for about sixteen seconds of
fire, the P-47 some thirty-two seconds of fire.

How many Tempests came home with dry guns per-sortie? How many
Thunderbolts?

How many Thunderbolts needed multiple passes on a target to kill it,
compared to how many Tempests?

If your fire is rapidly lethal, you need fewer rounds.

Those atomic 20mm rounds of yours again?

Yep. As confirmed by US procurement policy.

Why transition? If the .50 is so good, why waste time and effort
changing armament?

Hey, you are the guy who claimed the F8F was 20mm armed (or was that
keith?),

Bulk of early production was, before the war ended and the changed
version ended up an export version.

If the war had ended in 1942, the Typhoon 1A might have defined British
fighter armament as 12 x .303".

and that the USN was heel-fired bent on changing to the 20 mm
before the war was over, that no aircraft entered into production
after 44 with the MG's, etc., right?

Bearcat did (but switched to 20mm ASAP), Helldiver certainly didn't.

I'm talking about new designs, you're talking about different letters of
existing platforms (such as B-17F to B-17G)

With different armament. You say the USN found the .50 cal was
deficient--I have shown that it was quite possible to rectify that if
they felt it as keenly as you claim, but they didn't.

If there wasn't a problem, why change?

In 1940, we'd lost most of our heavy weapons in France, and had to
choose between keeping the 2pdr AT gun in production (adequate for
today, clearly soon to be outclassed) or retooling for the 6pdr gun (a
much better weapon - but what do we fight with in the meantime?)

That we stuck with the 2pdr proves neither that it was inadequate for
the existing threat, nor that the 6pdr was not superior.

Source for that? (Nightfighters weren't a high priority then)

The F4F-2N was a new build night fighter, completed by strapping a
radar under the wing of an otherwise standard -2 series Corsair, and
IIRC rearranging the MG's a bit.

So it was a rebuilt airframe with some new systems (existing aircraft
with a new radar added) rather than built-for-purpose..

Why did they want to, if the .50" was so good?

Because they did decide to change to the 20mm--but they never really
apparently found the difference between the two weapons that great a
difference, as they were also quite happy to continue receiving and
operating the MG armed aircraft until and after the war was over.

You can have "not enough" M-16 rifles, or you can have "not enough"
M-16s and "enough" M-14s.

Reality isn't simple.

Uhmmmm... yes

No, you continue to ignore the change in threat and role.

We're talking BAI against soft targets - if 20mm was inferior to 40mm,
what does that say about 12.7mm vice 20mm?

It's a very poor choice for use against targets under canopy, because it
will tumble early. An overspun ball round is the requirement - don't
know if anyone fielded such.

The 7.62 does not tumble all that quickly, and then again, so what?
You were going after an area target you could not see... a tumbling
7.62 would be quite nasty to the crunchie on the receiving end.

But pretty useless against a truck, since it hits sideways, and trucks
are the smallest targets likely to give you targets through canopy.

You don't see a serious change both in German armour, and in their
reaction to air attack, between 1942 and 1944?

While fighters did kill German armor, with both MG's and cannon,
during the latter part of the war, the rocket was the preffered round
ISTR. OTOH, German horses, trucks, troops, and locomotives were pretty
much the same throughout...

Tanks were very hard to kill with any air-launched weapons. Rockets or
bombs would kill with hits, but misses were survivable (whereas softer
targets were killed by near-misses). Guns were unreliable in most
sub-37mm calibres against tanks. (Trouble is, kill the tanker trucks and
ammo wagons and the tank becomes useless very soon anyway).

Yes, it is. Why did they go for a new calibre and new weapon unless they
found it necessary to do so? Why not just keep buying .50"-armed Sabres
if they're so successful?

More straw... different war, different threat

T-34s changed radically between WW2 and Korea?

(Trouble is, using T-34s as the threat gets you into German 20mm and
30mm gun development, much-copied in the West; or Soviet 20mm, 23mm and
37mm guns with MG calibres largely relegated to flexible mounts)

....you need to study the
concept of an evolving threat scenario, IMO.

Kevin, that's what I get paid for. Have I told _you_ to instruct a
maternal grandparent in the art of extracting ovine nutrition from its
protective casing by the application of a local pressure reduction?

--
When you have to kill a man, it costs nothing to be polite.
W S Churchill

Old August 20th 03, 12:06 AM
John Halliwell

In article , Paul J. Adam
writes
How many 20mm shots were taken? The Navy's jets were relatively few in
number and lacking in performance, but how many firing opportunities did
they turn into confirmed kills compared to Sabres?

Not forgetting the Sea Fury got a few Migs with the 20mm, certainly a
situation helped by having a very destructive round, given they were
right on the limit anyway.

--
John
Old August 20th 03, 08:09 AM
Tony Williams

"Paul J. Adam" wrote in message ...
In message , Kevin
Brooks writes

Gentlemen, an entertaining debate but I have the feeling that not a
lot more progress is going to be made.

I would sum it up as follows:

1. The .50 M2 was one of the classic aircraft guns, and remained
adequate to meet the demands upon it throughout WW2.

2. Cannon benefitted from the HE/I content of their shells, which
magnified their effectiveness. A good 20mm cannon (MG 151/20, British
Hispano) was more efficient than any HMG could be, in terms of
destructiveness achieved for the installed armament weight.

3. The USA made a horlicks of manufacturing the Hispano, leading to
serious unreliability, and this must have influenced their decision to
stick with the .50 for as long as they did.