Working on the ideal single engine tug!

Old May 31st 06, 10:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default Working on the ideal single engine tug!

Alright all you pilots, linemen and pseudo-engineers...I am in the
process of designing the perfect single engine aircraft tug! My
company, ForkliftsDirect.com currently carries a line of aircraft tugs
ideal for planes from 12,500 MGTOW up to 30,000 MGTOW. What we've found
is that there is a lacking in the marketplace for a tug that is
designed for the single engine owner. So, here's where you come in. In
a perfect world, how would you like to see a tug for your airplane
equipped? How does it attach to the aircraft? Towbars? Clamp & Lift
mechanism? A simple platform with safety straps? Should the unit be
electric or gas? Walk behind or rideable? Any info would be quite
helpful to this project and is greatly appreciated. We hope to have a
rendering and specs in time for Osh Kosh this year. If you are
interested in what we are all about please check out the website above
or look for us in the Osh Kosh edition of "Twin & Turbine" magazine.

Regards,

Alex Elkin
ForkliftsDirect.com
877-736-7554
877-936-7554 - fax

Old June 1st 06, 12:19 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"TugMan" wrote in message ...
[...]

We have one already, its called a golf cart.
Unless your talking about a Citation Jet then we use a tug built by Clark.
With all the major carriers that have gone under you pick one up for cheap.

David

Old June 1st 06, 03:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Wheelhorse has a nice clamp and lift articulated tug. A
lawn tractor with a hitch pintle front and rear works great
and can mow, blow snow and plow.

Good luck with you company, but most small airplane owner's
just use muscle power or a clip-on tire roller.

--
James H. Macklin
ATP,CFI,A&P

some support

ups.com...

Old June 1st 06, 05:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

My FBO has a old Craftsman lawn mower, sans blade, and a universal tow
bar. Works great. With the tow bar was a little lighter, though. I just
need to learn to back up with it. I am great with cars and trailers, but
this thing goes the wrong way with each turn. I just disconnect the tow
bar from the tug and stear it in. A 172 isn't that heavy.

Ross
KSWI

Old June 1st 06, 11:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"Ross Richardson" wrote in message
My FBO has a old Craftsman lawn mower, sans blade, and a universal tow
bar. Works great. With the tow bar was a little lighter, though. I just
need to learn to back up with it. I am great with cars and trailers, but
this thing goes the wrong way with each turn. I just disconnect the tow
bar from the tug and stear it in. A 172 isn't that heavy.

Put a hitch (towbar attach point) on the front of the lawn mower. You will
wonder why you didn't do so, earlier.
--
Jim in NC

Old June 2nd 06, 01:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"Jim Macklin" wrote in message
Wheelhorse has a nice clamp and lift articulated tug. A
lawn tractor with a hitch pintle front and rear works great
and can mow, blow snow and plow.

Good luck with you company, but most small airplane owner's
just use muscle power or a clip-on tire roller.

Our hangar neighborhood has a JD lawn tractor that has the mowing unit
removed but it does have a snow blade. Very nice for clearing the "alley".

The sixteen of us paid in $50 each to the fellow who provided it when he got
a new fancy-schmantzy one. Some guy built a small shed to store it in out of
plywood.

As for towage, the biggest bird our "neighborhood" has is a Cheyenne II.

--
Matt
---------------------

Old June 2nd 06, 01:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

It has one, but I never set it up that way. Makes it easier???

I have seen cars and trucks pushing boat trailers that way because they
couldn't back them up. I never had to do that. So, I thought I could
succeed by backing up. It just didn't work that way. I'll try it next time.

Thanks
Ross
KSWI

Old June 2nd 06, 10:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"Ross Richardson" wrote in message
It has one, but I never set it up that way. Makes it easier???

I have seen cars and trucks pushing boat trailers that way because they
couldn't back them up. I never had to do that. So, I thought I could
succeed by backing up. It just didn't work that way. I'll try it next
time.

Without a doubt, the pushing will be simple with the hitch on front.

The difference is the type of trailer. Yeah, I too can back a conventional
trailer with my eyes closed. The problem comes with backing a trailer with
a steerable front axle. That is what some call a 4 wheel trailer, however
inaccurate that description may be.

The plane with a steerable nose or tail wheel, with a towbar is like the 4
wheel trailer. Everything is backwards. You put the hitch on the front of
the tug, and it all becomes easy, and intuitive.
--
Jim in NC

Old June 3rd 06, 01:00 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Hello Alex,

Sporty's has a variety of tugs and tow bars, even a couple "deluxe
models" in the $1000.00 price range for any of you out there who
happen to have any cash left in this era of $5+/gallon Avgas! Here's
what Sporty's already has: http://www.sportys.com/tug/

Sounds like a risky proposition, unless you target the higher end twins
and small biz jet market. Maybe Eclipse would consider including one of
these as an accessory, but their "$1MM jet" is already up to $1.3MM...
sigh Cirrus may be interested too, but you would have to design a
parachute into, just in case... grin

Happy flying this weekend to everyone!

"Pixie Aviatrix"
Seattle, WA

Gyrocopter Speed Mark Rotorcraft 36 August 16th 05 11:28 PM
Towing Roger Fowler Soaring 6 August 11th 05 04:25 AM
JetsGo MD-83 engine not working? Tyler Wordsworth Piloting 11 January 26th 05 03:51 PM
Corky's engine choice Corky Scott Home Built 39 August 8th 03 04:29 AM