Cherokee 140 High Oil Temp. Update

Old June 30th 10, 03:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
vaughn[_3_]

Default Cherokee 140 High Oil Temp. Update

"Stealth Pilot" wrote in message
On Mon, 28 Jun 2010 19:17:27 -0500, "Mike Spera"
wrote:

As you may recall, I have been troubleshooting a higher than normal oil temp
in the Cherokee. Checked the baffling, replaced the oil cooler with a new

after you land and park the temp guage is still indicating if powered
up.
sooooo. why dont you pull out the dipstick and measure the temperature
of the engine oil all the way down the hole?

That sounds like a pretty damn good idea. You can buy relatively cheap DVM's
that come with temperature probes included.
http://cableorganizer.com/triplett/d....htm#featuresI just measured my probe. It is a 37" wire lead with the tiny probe at one endand the plug at the other. That should be plenty long enough to reach down tothe oil level in an aircraft engine.You could also tape the probe to your oil cooler inlet tube to get an idea ofyour oil temperature with the engine cowled. (I do something like that tomeasure the hot fluid temperature from my car's AC compressor so I can add theproper amount of refrigerant.)Vaughn