Endorsement required for CFIG written?

Old January 16th 04, 07:10 PM
Gregg Ballou

Default Endorsement required for CFIG written?

Hi all. I currently have a CFIH and commercial glider, sometime this
year I would like to get my CFIG. Question is do I need an
endorsement to take the CFIG written?
Thanks,
GB

Old January 16th 04, 09:07 PM
Tony Verhulst

ADP wrote:
And 14 CFR 61.191 (b)

You don't need to take the written! 14 CFR 61.183(e)1

These regs say that the applicant does not have to conform to FAR
61.185(a)(1) - which is esentially the FOI (Fundementals Of Instructing)
only.

When a local FAA inspector went for his CFIG (he already was CFI
everything else) he said that he had to take a short (25 question)
knowledge test pertaining to gliders only. He should know.

I'm still searching the regs on this. FARs are written by lawyers for
lawyers.

Tony V.

Old January 16th 04, 10:19 PM
ADP

Ah Todd, there you go again.
Since it has been 40 or more years since I took any written for my
Instructor rating, I suppose things could have changed.
Having added multiple endorsements to my instructors certificate without any
written exam, (dare I use the word assume?) I assumed that the rules were
still the same.
I guess I'll just have to turn in my certificate until I can take the
multiple written exams now required.
Woe is me!

Allan

"Todd Pattist" wrote in message
"ADP" wrote:

And 14 CFR 61.191 (b)
You don't need to take the written! 14 CFR 61.183(e)1

61.191(b) says he "is not required to pass the knowledge
test on the areas listed in Sec. 61.185(a)(1) of this part."

61.183(e)(1) says he must "Pass a knowledge test on the
areas listed in Sec. 61.185(a)(1) of this part, unless the
applicant: (1) Holds a flight instructor certificate"

Both are specific only to 61.185(a)(1) and that's only the
Fundamentals Of Instructing part.

61.183(f) says he must "(f) Pass a knowledge test on the
aeronautical knowledge areas listed in Sec. 61.185(a)(2) and
(a)(3) of this part that are appropriate to the flight
instructor rating sought;"

Todd Pattist - "WH" Ventus C
(Remove DONTSPAMME from address to email reply.)

Old January 16th 04, 11:22 PM
ADP

I have had to take short "unofficial: written tests as part of the "oral"
before a practical test. This doesn't seem unreasonable to me. If someone
can demonstrate an "official" written that is required before one can take
the practical test, I would appreciate the reference. (Given the condition
that one already has some sort of Flight Instructor rating)

Allan

"Tony Verhulst" wrote in message
And 14 CFR 61.191 (b)

Old January 17th 04, 02:48 AM
BTIZ

never base assumptions on a 40yr old history or memory..

LOL

I just went through that same argument with another 50yr old memory..

But, you need to retake the FOI, you will need to complete the Commercial
and CFIG check rides... and "I gotta go look this one up", the transition to
"other aircraft" only counts when transitioning from AIRPLANE to other
categories.

So you "may" need to take the Commercial Glider written, but you WILL need
to take the Glider Instructor written (not the FOI).

Todd had all the FARs referenced

BT

"ADP" wrote in message
Ah Todd, there you go again.
Since it has been 40 or more years since I took any written for my
Instructor rating, I suppose things could have changed.
Having added multiple endorsements to my instructors certificate without

any
written exam, (dare I use the word assume?) I assumed that the rules were
still the same.
I guess I'll just have to turn in my certificate until I can take the
multiple written exams now required.
Woe is me!

Allan

"Todd Pattist" wrote in message

And 14 CFR 61.191 (b)

Old January 17th 04, 04:32 AM
ADP

He has a Commercial glider. His question was "Does he need an endorsement
to take any written." My answer is no.

LQ

Allan

"BTIZ" wrote in message
and he will need to first take a Commercial Glider check ride..
before the CFIG practical... there are some places that will give both

rides
the same day.. but some FSDOs argue not to do that.

BT

"Michael" wrote in message
om...
(Gregg Ballou) wrote
Hi all. I currently have a CFIH and commercial glider, sometime this
year I would like to get my CFIG. Question is do I need an
endorsement to take the CFIG written?

You do not. The relevant regulation is: