More questions on VFR flight following.

Old January 6th 08, 01:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Default More questions on VFR flight following.

Rich Ahrens writes:

Can't escape the damn things. As I recall, if you take the train out to
Versailles, there's either a McDonalds or a Burger King right across the
street from the station on your way to the castle.

McDonald's. There are about as many Starbucks as McDonald's today.
Old January 6th 08, 01:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_19_]

Mxsmanic wrote in
:

Rich Ahrens writes:

Can't escape the damn things. As I recall, if you take the train out
to Versailles, there's either a McDonalds or a Burger King right
across the street from the station on your way to the castle.

McDonald's. There are about as many Starbucks as McDonald's today.

So, you've been scaping the grounds out of their dumpsters so you can make
coffee in your rice boiler?

bertie
Old January 6th 08, 05:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
John Mazor[_2_]

"Mxsmanic" wrote in message

English teachers know that dictionaries are descriptive rather then prescriptive.

Wrong. There are both types because some take a prescriptive approach. Most of their
content also could be characterized as descriptive, which is unavoidable, but their
editorial policy is to adhere to formal usage and definitions and to ignore informal use,
slang, and neologisms whenever possible.

With your Humpty Dumpty approach to semantics, which kind do you prefer?

BTW, English teachers know the difference between "then" and "than". But apparently that
doesn't include ones working for hire in Paris.

Are you too poor to afford a dictionary?

You are. But then, 95% of everything you know comes off of Google so you don't need an
actual printed tome.

I'm too smart to misuse one.

You misuse - make that abuse - one every time you play Humpty Dumpty with terminilogy.

Old January 6th 08, 06:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Mxsmanic wrote:
writes:

Yet again another totally correct but irrelevant attempt to back pedal
out of the corner.

Not really. There are many dictionaries, given many definitions of words that
can vary considerably. None is a final authority. Which dictionary did you
have in mind?

Yes really.

As I said, all the dictionaries I consulted had essentially the same
definition, which is what most sane people not trying vainly to prove
their idiotic statements correct would expect.

As for which dictionary, I told you in the part you snipped out.

Of course there are (one would think an "English teacher" would know
this) and the first two I looked at say essentially the same thing,
as one with common sense would expect.

Which two did you look at?

Makes no difference, the are all the same and the count is up to
three now as I said in the part you snipped in an attempt to divert
attention from the fact that you are full of ****.

English teachers know that dictionaries are descriptive rather then
prescriptive.

A real English teacher knows that dictionaries are definitive as
opposed to your pull-it-out-your ass, make it up as you go along
technique.

Are you too poor to afford a dictionary?

I'm too smart to misuse one.

But not smart enough to answer the question that was asked.

--
Jim Pennino

Remove .spam.sux to reply.
Old January 7th 08, 01:37 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

John Mazor writes:

There are both types because some take a prescriptive approach.

Prescriptive grammars and dictionaries are primarily intended for
schoolchildren and foreign-speaking students of the language.

BTW, English teachers know the difference between "then" and "than".

And how to spell _terminology_, too, if keeping score is important to you.

Flight Questions Jed Piloting 32 September 15th 07 03:12 PM
flight level questions [email protected] Instrument Flight Rules 1 August 14th 06 09:13 PM
Yesterday's IFR flight with questions A Lieberman Instrument Flight Rules 30 November 23rd 05 10:31 PM
Nice Surprize During Pre Flight, And A Few Odd Questions MRQB Owning 12 March 24th 04 11:26 PM
IFR flight in MSFS '98 questions Sydney Hoeltzli Simulators 9 July 31st 03 12:05 AM