GPSMAP 195 or 196

Old March 8th 04, 08:55 PM
One's Too Many

Like others here have suggested, if all you need is a trusty VFR GPS
that won't weigh down your yoke with an unwieldy oversized contraption
hanging on it, get the smaller, cheaper GPS-III Pilot. I got mine new,
not refurb, from www.avionicsgps.com for only $450 and it does
everything I need a GPS to do for me. Spend the extra money on a $100
hamburger instead.
Old March 8th 04, 10:06 PM
Dennis O'Connor

No DC voltage readout on the 195... I didn't bother answer whoever said
there was because it was obvious he was guessing, where I was giving real
world data from the 195/196 units actually in my airplane when I fly...

And yes, that's ships DC I'm discussing, not the 195's batteries...
I know nuttin about a III Pilot...
denny

"Newps" wrote in message Where is this feature
located in the 195 and III pilot?

Old March 8th 04, 10:28 PM
Dennis O'Connor

ummm, oh snot! I shot myself in the foot... My bad...
I just posted that I compared the 195/196 and the 195 doesn't have dc
volts... As soon as I read your post, I smucked my forehead with the heel
of my hand - of course it does! It's been so long since I changed any of
the data fields on the 195 I totally forgot about it being an option in that
screen...well, it does ride over on on the co-pilots yoke, after all
denny
well, I gotta have some excuse, it can't be my fault!

Old March 9th 04, 06:12 AM
Newps

Dennis O'Connor wrote:

"Newps" wrote in message Where is this feature
located in the 195 and III pilot?

Newps wrote no such thing.

Old March 9th 04, 11:31 PM
John Galban

"Dennis O'Connor" wrote in message ...
No DC voltage readout on the 195... I didn't bother answer whoever said
there was because it was obvious he was guessing, where I was giving real
world data from the 195/196 units actually in my airplane when I fly...

Well, I wasn't the one who originally posted about the DC voltage
readout, but I will verify that there is one. If you have the 195
plugged into the cigarette lighter, it will give you the DC voltage
reading. I've found it to be a very handy feature. I don't have the
unit in front of me, but it's on the "position page". Each of those
fields is programmable and one of the choices is DC voltage. This is
all in the manual.

Denny, you must live in a different real world than I do. Or maybe
you were obviously just guessing. :-)

John Galban=====N4BQ (PA28-180)
Old March 9th 04, 11:36 PM
John Galban

Mike Spera wrote in message ...
I can get a newly overhauled (like new condition) 195 with a 1 year
warranty for $550. No WAAS, no "panel page", 4 level gray.

I've had a 195 for about 5 years and I think it's great. A lot of
people complain that it's too bulky, but it fits just fine on my
Cherokee yoke. I guess it depends on your cockpit layout.

The only qualms I'd have about buying a 195 is that they're listed
as "discontinued" by Garmin. It's anybody's guess how long they will
continue to support it with database updates.

John Galban=====N4BQ (PA28-180)
Old March 15th 04, 02:57 AM
Kevin Black

I'd second Dan's comments. I returned a 195 in exchange for the III Pilot.
IMHO the 195 is cludgy and has antiquated connections. The III Pilot is
horizontal or vertical, you choose, fits nicely in the yoke or in top of the
glare shield and is as functional (if not moreso than the 195). I was
initially skeptical about the screen size, but, even with my aging eyes, thi
isn't an issue - plenty big enough. For the price, it's a great little
unit. Save some extra bucks and get the III Plus - non-aviation - and
upload your waypoints. You miss out on the Jepp DB and the airspace etc,
but most of the NDBs VORs etc you can upload.

FWIW,
Kevin
"Dan Luke" wrote in message
"Mike Spera" wrote:
I can get a newly overhauled (like new condition)
195 with a 1 year warranty for $550. No WAAS,
no "panel page", 4 level gray.

I had a GPS III Pilot, then a 195. I liked the little GPS III Pilot
better. If you're looking for an o'hauled unit, I recommend it over the
195.
--
Dan
C172RG at BFM