Fiberglass vs. Fabric

Old June 27th 06, 04:49 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

Default Fiberglass vs. Fabric

Lou wrote:
Ok, everyone, I've started to experiment with fiberglass. I bought the
foam, the fabric,hardner and resin. I've mix the resin and hardener
with micro balloons and came up with something that resembles honey
dijon salad dressing. I've put it on the foam, layed down the fabric
and then had to mix more resin and hardener. Put that mix on top and
spread it around. Layed down another layer of fabric, mixed more
resin/hardener, spead it around and layed down dacron.
Now the big question, Does this sound correct? Can anyone tell me if
I missed a step? This so far is a test piece, but I know what I can use
it for. I am kinda suprised of how flexable the fiished product is.
Lou

Put a layer of glass on the other side of the foam, then come back and
tell us how flexible it is.

Warning: Make d8mn sure you have the thing jigged to it's finished
position before the opposite side glass sets.

--
This is by far the hardest lesson about freedom. It goes against
instinct, and morality, to just sit back and watch people make
Old June 27th 06, 07:20 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

On Tue, 27 Jun 2006 03:49:36 GMT, Ernest Christley
wrote:

Put a layer of glass on the other side of the foam, then come back and
tell us how flexible it is.

Warning: Make d8mn sure you have the thing jigged to it's finished
position before the opposite side glass sets.

I made a couple of test panels on 1/4" Clark foam using one layer of
heavier glass and one layer of model airplane glass on each side. You
could lay a 6" x 18" panel across two bricks and stand on it with out
much deflection. I figured it was good enough for a fuel tank, it has
held up for twenty years.

Old June 27th 06, 02:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

Thanks, I did layer up the other side and was quite suprised of the
stiffness. So far every piece will be flat, then cut to size and
glassed together, so it seems to be working out. Unfortunatley it's
been just under 70 deg. around here and especially in my basement so I
bought some 2 inch foam and a small heater. I made a make/shift oven to
help cure the fiberglass. I happen to have a remote thermometer inside
to watch the temp. It's been working out great.
Lou

Old July 1st 06, 04:27 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
cavelamb

Lou wrote:
Thanks, I did layer up the other side and was quite suprised of the
stiffness. So far every piece will be flat, then cut to size and
glassed together, so it seems to be working out. Unfortunatley it's
been just under 70 deg. around here and especially in my basement so I
bought some 2 inch foam and a small heater. I made a make/shift oven to
help cure the fiberglass. I happen to have a remote thermometer inside
to watch the temp. It's been working out great.
Lou

Do it again, Lou.
Hey, it's fun, right?

Slice off a few long 1x2's and glass each differently.

One layer of BID each side.
Two layers each side.
Three layers should do the trick.

Also try the same with UNI.
Like for building spar caps.
A single layer of BID on the long sides (the 2" sides)
and UNI on the top and bottom for capstrips...

Then try some deep compound curves!

There are a couple of articles on one-off cowling construction on my CD.
You can find it at:
http://www.matronics.com/photoshare/...et.03.04.2006/

Richard
Old July 2nd 06, 11:37 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Lou

Hey Caveman,
I tried your link but got nothing. Removed what I was supposed to and
still nothing.
Got Link?

Fabric repair D.A.L Home Built 0 April 27th 04 07:17 PM
Replace fabric with glass Ernest Christley Home Built 38 April 17th 04 11:37 AM
Fabric Work Doug Home Built 9 January 26th 04 03:31 AM
Need to learn dope and fabric work David Hill Restoration 5 October 9th 03 01:52 AM
Fiberglass Tip Tanks Question Jay Honeck Owning 7 September 26th 03 04:23 AM