ARE RAMP CHECKS RAMPING UP?

Old January 28th 06, 03:45 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default ARE RAMP CHECKS RAMPING UP?

On Fri, 27 Jan 2006 23:48:51 GMT, "Dave Stadt"
wrote:

"Mike Weller" wrote in message
.. .
On Fri, 27 Jan 2006 01:43:04 GMT, "Dave Stadt"
wrote:

Handle what things? Guess I am dense but what business is it of the FAA
if
I want to shut down and coast to the pumps? In fact I can remember doing
just that on a couple of occasions. Seems safer to me than rolling up
with
the meat cleaver spinning. Sorry, but the story doesn't make sense. I'd
say Mr. Whitmore stuck his nose where it didn't belong.

Put it into the context of when and where it happened.

They shut off the engine on the runway, the prop stopped, and then
they rolled at least a another quarter of a mile after making a 45
degree turn off the runway, rolled down the taxiway, and the made
another quick turn and stop to get to the gas pumps.

Impressive, but not exactly the thing to do in front of "THE MAN".

Mike Weller

Inquiring minds want to know why?

Why? Because it's there.

Mike Weller

Old January 28th 06, 04:09 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

wrote:

Handle what things? Guess I am dense but what business is it of the FAA
if
I want to shut down and coast to the pumps? In fact I can remember doing
just that on a couple of occasions. Seems safer to me than rolling up
with
the meat cleaver spinning. Sorry, but the story doesn't make sense. I'd
say Mr. Whitmore stuck his nose where it didn't belong.

Put it into the context of when and where it happened.

They shut off the engine on the runway, the prop stopped, and then
they rolled at least a another quarter of a mile after making a 45
degree turn off the runway, rolled down the taxiway, and the made
another quick turn and stop to get to the gas pumps.

Impressive, but not exactly the thing to do in front of "THE MAN".

Mike Weller

Inquiring minds want to know why?

What did they do wrong? What actual reg did they break? Was there some
kind of safety violation?

Now that is good question.

For many reasons pilots, and flight instructors in particular, are
expected to be better than average.

You don't have to break a "reg" to show that maybe, just maybe, that
what you're doing is not the right thing to do.

It's a very fine line sometimes.

My opinion of the incident was that the pilots stepped over the line
and deserved to get being chewed out by Mr. Whitmore.

Mike Weller

Old January 28th 06, 04:40 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

wrote:

[...]

On other words you don't have an answer.

Old January 28th 06, 03:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

wrote:

[...]

No I don't, and that was my point.

There are too many variables that we face while flying to have to have
a "reg" to determine what we do. Obviously some are, but judgment is
just too hard and fast to be written in any form.

Mike Weller

Old January 28th 06, 05:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

wrote:

[...]

Sounds like they were showing energy conservation and exchange of
kinetic energy for friction, timing things perfectly to barely need
brakes at the fuel station.

Old January 28th 06, 07:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

wrote:

[...]

I'm STILL trying to figure out what "line" was crossed and what the
chewing was all about.

Old January 28th 06, 08:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

wrote:

[...]

The only issue I can see was if they ran out of fuel and that was the
reason for the "shutdown." EVen then, I think it would be hard to bust
them, but a good lecture might be in order in that event.

Matt
Old January 28th 06, 11:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

I've seen a lot of people asking WHY this was something they'd get in
trouble for, and I think I have an answer. First, from Mike Weller's
post:

Put it into the context of when and where it happened.

They shut off the engine on the runway, the prop stopped, and then
they rolled at least a another quarter of a mile after making a 45
degree turn off the runway, rolled down the taxiway, and the made
another quick turn and stop to get to the gas pumps.

Take a look at the distance involved. To coast from the runway, around
that corner and all the way to the pump, they spent most of the taxi at
well above brisk walking speeds. Unsafe taxiing speeds can do a lot of
damage and pose a risk to anyone walking around there, especially with
the engine off.

Additionally, if they taxi past a bunch of planes and lose a tire at 40
mph or so, how well do you think they'll be able to avoid smacking into
the parked aircraft?

So, in summary: They were taxiing way too fast.

Ben Hallert
PP-ASEL

Old January 29th 06, 04:32 PM
skymstr02 skymstr02 is offline
Junior Member

Location: Knoxville, TN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Dighera
Copies are not acceptable. If the inspector wants to see your certificate, then he wants to see the certificate, not a copy of the certificate. The certificate is not yours, you are in possesion, but it actually belongs to the US government. In other words, if you don't let him examine the original certificate, then you are in violation. The regs don't mention that a copy is acceptable. Same thing goes for the airworthiness certicficate or registration certificate in the aircraft.