SSA State & Nat Records Rules Conflict

Old September 29th 10, 04:29 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
noel.wade

Default SSA State & Nat Records Rules Conflict

All -

OK so I've submitted some State Records and there is confusion amongst
the people processing the claims... Basically it boils down to a
question on how many Records can be claimed in a single flight.

Some people are saying that you can only submit 1 Distance and 1 Speed
record claimed per Category & Class, per flight. They are pointing to
this file: http://www.ssa.org/files/member/NatSTrules.pdf which is
shown as a link on the webpage whenever you view a table of State
Records. Looks like those records were effective starting in 2005?

HOWEVER, the "National & State Rules" PDF on the SSA website (http://
www.ssa.org/files/member/USN&StateRules2010.pdf) seems to permit
multiple simultaneous distance records (see section 6.3 and the
reference to 6.2).

The SSA "Summary of the Sporting Code" (http://www.ssa.org/files/
member/SCsummary09c.pdf) lists NO limitations on claims (see 1.4.1a I
think)

The SSA Badge & Record Guide () seems to indicate that you can have
multiple concurrent distance claims (1.4.5, 1.4.6, 1.4.8, and 1.4.7b

[Those last three documents are all on the "Forms" page, under the
"Soaring Achievement" area.]

And I'll say this: There ARE state records listed where a single
pilot's name shows up under multiple distance records on the same
date... And I have a hard time believing they all set them by flying
multiple times on a single day!

So, what's the correct answer - anyone know for sure?

Thanks,

--Noel
Old September 29th 10, 04:37 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
noel.wade

Whoops, forgot to add a link... The Badge & Record Guide is he
http://www.ssa.org/files/member/B&RGuide.pdf

Thanks!

--Noel
Old September 29th 10, 05:08 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Darryl Ramm

On Sep 28, 8:37*pm, "noel.wade" wrote:
Whoops, forgot to add a link... *The Badge & Record Guide is hehttp://www.ssa.org/files/member/B&RGuide.pdf

Thanks!

--Noel

The rules are the rules. Have one of these people saying this is not
possible point to the exact rule forbidding this. SSA rules 6.2.c and
6.3.b specifically allow this. End of discussion.

Pretty hard to see how somebody who has actually read the rules could
interpret this in an other way.

Darryl
Old September 29th 10, 05:27 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Frank Whiteley

On Sep 28, 9:29*pm, "noel.wade" wrote:
[...]

I've found at least one bad link that goes to the 2005 Rules and we'll
get that fixed. That may have resulted in some confusion earlier
today. The 2010 Rules should apply and appear to allow multiple
distance claims.

On the SSA Soaring Achievement page, the top of the RH column lists
the committee responsible for content. There's a show members link at
the bottom of the first section. When you follow that link, you can e-
mail any member, or the entire group.

Been trying to have someone in the know to hold a state record keeper
webinar for nearly two years per a request. Judy Ruprecht resigned
effective the end of June and applicants were being interviewed last I
heard.

Frank Whiteley
Old September 29th 10, 06:44 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
noel.wade

On Sep 28, 9:27*pm, Frank Whiteley wrote:

I've found at least one bad link that goes to the 2005 Rules and we'll
get that fixed. *That may have resulted in some confusion earlier
today. *The 2010 Rules should apply and appear to allow multiple
distance claims.

Thanks a bunch, Frank!

--Noel

Old September 29th 10, 12:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Remde

Hi Noel,

I'm the state record keeper for Minnesota. I recall that there was a change
to the rules which allowed only one record claim per category, but that rule
was only in effect for about 1 year before it was done away with. It is no
longer in effect as of October of 2008 or 2009 (I don't recall). I'm
certain it was not in effect for 2010.

Best Regards,

Paul Remde

Old September 29th 10, 12:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Remde

Hi Frank,

I'm sorry to hear that Judy Ruprecht has resigned. I like Judy. I look
forward to hearing who replaces her.

Best Regards,

Paul Remde

Old September 29th 10, 01:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony[_5_]

On Sep 29, 6:39*am, "Paul Remde" wrote:
[...]

yea there is one bad link to the 2005 rules. I found it this spring
when I was applying for some state records and it got me pretty good
and confused. I *think* that if you open up the state record matrix
from the SSA website and then click to go to the rules from that
window it goes to the 2005 rules.
Old September 29th 10, 04:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Bojack[_2_]

As a state record keeper, I've never understood the need to knock out as
many existing records as possible with one good flight.

Why not set one goal, achieve it, and be satisfied with what you
accomplished? Or, is it all about getting ones name in as many tiny little
boxes because on one lucky day the pilot happened to be blessed with super
soaring conditions.

J4

Old September 29th 10, 05:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony[_5_]

On Sep 29, 10:00*am, "John Bojack" wrote:
As a state record keeper, I've never understood the need to knock out as
many existing records as possible with one good flight.

Why not set one goal, achieve it, and be satisfied with what you
accomplished? * Or, is it all about getting ones name in as many tiny little
boxes because on one lucky day the pilot happened to be blessed with super
soaring conditions.

J4

obviously the rules people have been back and forth on this too. in
the same line of thinking, why allow more than one badge leg claim per
flight? Personally I feel that if the flight qualifies for multiple
records you should be able to claim multiple records.