Stability augmentation promises to give you even less control

Old August 4th 10, 01:46 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Default Stability augmentation promises to give you even less control

"Capt. Geoffrey Thorpe" The Sea Hawk @See My Sig.com writes:

Then you probably won't be buying an aiplane with this feature.

Unless manufacturers start installing it in everything, or the government
requires its presence.
Old August 4th 10, 02:14 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Mxsmanic wrote:
writes:

LOOK UP CRM.

There is no CRM with a computer.

Ice cream has no bones.

--
Jim Pennino

Remove .spam.sux to reply.
Old August 4th 10, 04:35 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
george

On Aug 4, 12:45*pm, Mxsmanic wrote:
writes:
LOOK UP CRM.

There is no CRM with a computer.

So stop playing computor games and get into a real aeroplane
Old August 4th 10, 01:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Old August 4th 10, 02:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
a[_3_]

On Aug 3, 10:36*am, "Stephen!" wrote:
wrote :

Someone who doesn't fly for a living.

OK, then single pilot in real IMC.

* You haven't lived until you've piloted an SEL over the mountains in solid
IMC without an autopilot. *I logged 2 hours IMC in a 182 over Montana a few
weeks ago. *That was a LOT of fun! *

--
RCOS #7
IBA# 11465http://imagesdesavions.com

There was something in the literature recently about using a/p in IMC
is safer, but from my point of view I am much more aware of what's
going on hand flying (and have done so over the Rockies) than sitting
back and 'managing' the airplane while it's on auto pilot..

A sad confession is the a/p does do a better job of keeping the
needles crossed on an ILS than I do, but the correct interpretation of
that is, I need more practice at it than the a/p does. A huge 'and
moreover' is, I want hands on near minima, don't want to mess with the
a/p if I have to fly a miss, and don't want to transition from a/p to
manual when I decide conditions are not right for a landing.

Aviators understand this stuff.
Old August 4th 10, 03:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

writes:

LOOK UP CRM.

No need, I know what it stands for.
Old August 4th 10, 03:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

a writes:

There was something in the literature recently about using a/p in IMC
is safer, but from my point of view I am much more aware of what's
going on hand flying (and have done so over the Rockies) than sitting
back and 'managing' the airplane while it's on auto pilot..

The workload for single-pilot IFR is substantial, particularly in actual IMC.
This is an important argument favoring the suggestion that autopilot be
heavily used for IFR. With two pilots, things are easier, although an
autopilot might still be preferable.

At least the autopilot only does what it is told. At the same time, it does
encourage a certain amount of complacency, which has even bit airline pilots
on more than one occasion.

A sad confession is the a/p does do a better job of keeping the
needles crossed on an ILS than I do, but the correct interpretation of
that is, I need more practice at it than the a/p does.

There's no shame in an automated system doing better than a human being at
something it is designed to do.

A huge 'and
moreover' is, I want hands on near minima, don't want to mess with the
a/p if I have to fly a miss, and don't want to transition from a/p to
manual when I decide conditions are not right for a landing.

Aviators understand this stuff.

It depends on the aircraft and the type of flying.
Old August 4th 10, 03:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

On Aug 4, 9:19*am, Mxsmanic wrote:
writes:
LOOK UP CRM.

No need, I know what it stands for.

NO YOU DON'T.

Promises to be a good show this year! PLMerite Aviation Photos 0 May 3rd 08 12:43 PM
Stability variation WingFlaps Piloting 2 April 28th 08 03:45 AM
Towing stability studies Dan G Soaring 27 February 21st 08 08:38 PM
Tow vehicle -- electronic stability control Greg Arnold Soaring 4 June 8th 06 12:31 PM
Atmospheric stability and lapse rate Andrew Sarangan Piloting 39 February 11th 05 05:34 AM