Updated US Sectionals

Old September 20th 11, 03:28 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
2KA

Default Updated US Sectionals

The US sectional charts on my website (in CMR format for SeeYou and
georeferenced TIFF format for GoogleEarth, Global Mapper, etc.) have
been updated to the most recent versions. Moving forward, I plan to
issue new updates every charting cycle, so that the charts will always
be current.

Some have asked how these are different from the charts you can
download from the FAA. The answer is that the format that the FAA
provides can't be used directly with SeeYou -- the charts have to be
reprojected and reformatted first. I also trim the edge material on
both the CMR and TIFF format versions such that the charts tile
together seamlessly. This is a big deal if you happen to fly near the
border areas.

My website can be found at http://www.soaringdata.info. In addition
to the sectional charts, you can find current US airspace and airport
data in formats commonly used by popular glide computer and task
planning software. All of the materials on my site are free, and
freely redistributable.

Happy Downloading!

Lynn Alley
"2KA"

Old September 20th 11, 02:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
ContestID67[_2_]

On Sep 19, 10:57*pm, Bernie wrote:
On Sep 19, 8:28*pm, 2KA wrote:

[...]

LLL- Hide quoted text -

This is a great service to the soaring community. Thank you very much!
Old September 20th 11, 04:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
ContestID67[_2_]

Lynn,

The Chicago soaring community suffered a Class B expansion about a
year ago around ORD. We had new SUA files created and then socialized
the changes with our local soaring clubs.

I found at http://www.soaringdata.info Airspace, an SUA file that
includes all of the US. I wanted to check to see if it had the new
ORD class B so I downloaded it and installed it on a Compaq 2215
running GlideNav II (V3.0).

Unfortunately, GlideNav gave me some errors when loading the file;

SUA Latitude out of range. 0 deg 35 min 91 sec
SUA Latitude out of range. 0 deg 83 min 53 sec
Too Many SUAs. More than 800 SUAs in this file, only the first 800
were loaded.

I thought that you would want to know.
Old September 20th 11, 06:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Remde

Hi John,

GN II can't handle all the airspace in the USA at once. However, it is
possible to use Lynn's awesome web site to provide airspace just for your
region. I hear that works great with GN II.

Best Regards,

Paul Remde
Cumulus Soaring, Inc.

Old September 20th 11, 07:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
ContestID67[_2_]

On Sep 20, 12:36*pm, "Paul Remde" wrote:
Hi John,

GN II can't handle all the airspace in the USA at once. *However, it is
possible to use Lynn's awesome web site to provide airspace just for your
region. *I hear that works great with GN II.

Best Regards,

Paul Remde
Cumulus Soaring, Inc.

Yep, you are correct. I ran the script again at the site using a
200nm radius and got a good SUA file. The new ORD class B appears
correct on GNII.

My other comments about the Latitude errors might point to an issue in
the "all SUA" file. FYI to Lynn if there is something to fix.

Thanks, John
Old September 21st 11, 06:26 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
2KA

Hi John,

I'm quite certain that the "all USA" file is just fine. The latitudes
in the error messages you see do not occur in the file. These
messages are just a side effect of trying to use a file larger than GN
II can handle. I've seen this behavior several times before.

Best,

Lynn
Old September 21st 11, 06:33 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
2KA

Hi John,

I'm quite certain that the "all USA" file on my site is just fine.
The latitudes in the error messages you see don't occur in the file.
Those messages are just a side effect of trying to use a file larger
than GN II can handle. I've actually seen that behavior several times
before.

Best Regards,

Lynn
Old September 22nd 11, 04:10 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS

I've made several dot stx databases and airspace files for the same
area by using dot cup files on Lynn's website.
It works very well. Amazing how much information you can get for
airports when the original file had very basic info.
You'll find the "Donate" link works well too.
Jim

Sectionals for PDA? Uncle Fuzzy Soaring 2 January 19th 10 09:41 PM
Customizing Sectionals Mike Schumann Soaring 14 October 9th 06 11:54 PM
Sectionals Simulators 1 July 21st 06 12:45 AM
Enlarged sectionals? Chris Hoffmann Piloting 10 February 23rd 04 04:52 PM
AVIATIONTOOLBOX: new sectionals Kyler Laird General Aviation 1 January 25th 04 06:50 AM