New member so bare with me, but PW5, how does she fly?

Old October 17th 14, 05:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Don Johnstone[_4_]

Default New member so bare with me, but PW5, how does she fly?

At 06:00 16 October 2014, Howard Lau wrote:
I'm a rather new glider pilot and I am about to fly on the PW5 as my
instru=
ctor deems me to be competent after training on the G103, I've seen

photos
=
and the glider seems small and the wingspan is only 10 meters or so, so I
w=
as wondering how she flies. Any PW-5 experiences?=20

Thanks!
Happy gliding!

How is getting naked together going to further your knowledge of the PW5?
Just asking.

Old October 17th 14, 06:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Firth[_4_]

At 16:02 17 October 2014, Don Johnstone wrote:
At 06:00 16 October 2014, Howard Lau wrote:
I'm a rather new glider pilot and I am about to fly on the PW5 as my
instru=
ctor deems me to be competent after training on the G103, I've see

photos
=
and the glider seems small and the wingspan is only 10 meters or so, so

w=
as wondering how she flies. Any PW-5 experiences?=20

Thanks!
Happy gliding!

How is getting naked together going to further your knowledge of the PW5
Just asking.

This is called "getting down to basics"

JMF

Old October 17th 14, 09:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
SoaringXCellence

On Friday, October 17, 2014 9:02:11 AM UTC-7, Don Johnstone wrote:
At 06:00 16 October 2014, Howard Lau wrote:

I'm a rather new glider pilot and I am about to fly on the PW5 as my

instru=

ctor deems me to be competent after training on the G103, I've seen

photos

=

and the glider seems small and the wingspan is only 10 meters or so, so I

w=

as wondering how she flies. Any PW-5 experiences?=20

Thanks!

Happy gliding!

How is getting naked together going to further your knowledge of the PW5?

Just asking.

Next thing you know someone will ask if it has "breaks" ;-)
Old October 18th 14, 12:43 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS

Probably because it doesn't have winglets?
My club just replaced a Junior with two PW5s. They're doing well as first single-place ships (training / 1st solo in Twin Grobs). Then pilots move up to LS7 before flying the newer stuff.
Sort of a modern day 1-26?
Jim

It did not attract the expected (and hoped for) crowds of chicks...

Old October 18th 14, 01:55 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Kuykendall

The one thing I can offer is that the PW5, like most of its sub-15m brethren, is rather lightly built, and will not take much in the way of ground handling loads. Be careful about dragging the wingtips on landing, and don't try to move it about by pulling on both wingtips at the same time.

Thanks, Bob K.
Old October 18th 14, 03:45 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Vsoars

On Thursday, October 16, 2014 1:00:19 AM UTC-5, Howard Lau wrote:
I'm a rather new glider pilot and I am about to fly on the PW5 as my instructor deems me to be competent after training on the G103, I've seen photos and the glider seems small and the wingspan is only 10 meters or so, so I was wondering how she flies. Any PW-5 experiences?

Thanks!

Happy gliding!

The PW5 can teach you so much about soaring. Nothing will let you feel the energy in the sky any better than this ship. I now alternate between my PW5 and my Duo Discus. Both are fun to fly, but on a day I want to push beyond 400 Km, I want to do it in the PW5 not the heavy 20 meter ship. (The PW5 is also great in wave flights.) Even though I have 1,000+ hours in a PW5, each day flying it is a true joy.(For more on flights in a PW5, you might want to check out this web site: valpaget.com)
Old October 18th 14, 05:01 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bruce Hoult[_2_]

On 2014-10-18 00:55:04 +0000, Bob Kuykendall said:

The one thing I can offer is that the PW5, like most of its sub-15m
brethren, is rather lightly built, and will not take much in the way of
ground handling loads. Be careful about dragging the wingtips on
landing, and don't try to move it about by pulling on both wingtips at
the same time.

The advantage of this is when you outland, it's no problem for just you
and your sub-60 kg significant other (and a wing stand) to derig it.

Old October 18th 14, 05:21 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Roy Clark, \B6\

On Friday, October 17, 2014 8:27:04 AM UTC-7, Dan Marotta wrote:
Years back a friend and I were asked to
perform the FAA mandated Phase I flight tests for a newly imported
PW-5.* .... In fact, the only short
coming we could find was in its appearance.* It did not attract
the expected (and hoped for) crowds of chicks...

Dan Marotta
On 10/16/2014 8:20 PM, wrote:

Did catch the fancy of at least one bull:

Donald Ingraham
3/11/99
From Charlie Spratt's write-up of Day 2 (yesterday) at the Senior's
in Florida....

snip
" I have heard some great land-out stories over the years but few
beat the one that happened to Francois Pin in his PW-5. Francois go
low on the second turn and had to pick a field to land in. It was a
good field, and he had no problems with the landing.

Soon after landing cows began to show up around the glider. They
began to lick the glider, and slobber all over it. Francois makes
several attempts to run them off with little luck. His biggest
problem showed up soon after. A very large and aggressive bull comes
on the scene. The bull put a horn under the stab and raised the
glider off the ground. Francois was able to back him up a little
but he continued to have great interest in the glider. After a couple
of runs at Francois the bull seemed to claim the glider as part of
his harem. The bull moved to the front of the glider and began to
tear at the canopy cover. Soon it is in shreds on the ground. Now
the bull suddenly raises up on its hind legs, and to the horror of
Francois tries to mount the glider! The crunch of the canopy is loud
and long as the bulls hoofs penetrate the Plexiglas. Francois
continues to try and run the bull off, but he appears to be in love
and won't budge. Just in time the crew shows up and the bull seems
threatened by the four-wheeler and retreats from his new found love.
As I write this Francois and team are in the hangar supergluing
pieces of the canopy back together in hopes that he can fly tomorrow."

(Note to self: add mace to off-field landing kit. :-)

Don
Don Ingraham
Silicon Graphics Friends help you move.
Real friends help you move bodies.

Very docile stall-spin characteristics, easy to handle on the ground as when empty it is almost balanced on the main wheel, very directionally stable on take off and landing due to weight on the nose wheel though this does make it harder to change direction on rollout if needed. Very light and well harmonized controls and easy to assemble. As previously stated it climbs very well but starts coming down pretty quickly if you put on the speed.

There are some calendar life limited parts on the ship which may or may not have been replaced in accordance with the maintenance manual as referenced in the type certificate so that should be checked on any PW-5 being considered for purchase.

The big problem this glider (and others in the same performance class) faced was that the number of glider pilots is not increasing and glass ships have a very long life. This results in a fairly good supply of older standard class ships which could be purchased for less money and which offered better performance while still having acceptable flying characteristics. I really liked flying the PW-5 but when it came to my own money I bought an old, but very nice ASW-15b.

New member Shay Farrell Soaring 1 October 4th 09 10:58 PM
Anyone preserved a bare fuselage? Cosmoline? Michael Horowitz Home Built 15 November 24th 08 09:47 AM
a-10a BARE METAL SKUNK WORKS Aviation Photos 6 September 28th 08 02:39 AM
A new member?? Phil Hoare Aviation Photos 6 June 10th 08 08:26 AM
Bare Bones X-C Cub Driver Piloting 3 August 3rd 04 09:17 AM