Setting altimeters with no radio

Old November 13th 06, 05:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Mxsmanic

Default Setting altimeters with no radio

Neil Gould writes:

When we speak of GPS _usage_ in aviation, we are specifically and almost
exclusively talking about receivers.

I'm not sure who "we" are, but GPS is a navigation system, not just a
receiver.

Old November 13th 06, 06:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Neil Gould

Recently, Mxsmanic posted:

Neil Gould writes:

When we speak of GPS _usage_ in aviation, we are specifically and
almost exclusively talking about receivers.

I'm not sure who "we" are, but GPS is a navigation system, not just a
receiver.

Considering where you are posting this, it should be clear that "we"
refers to "pilots of real aircraft". Even if you couldn't have figured
that one out on your own from the snippet that you responded to, it should
have been obvious from the rest of the paragraph that you chose to snip.
To make it plainly clear, VORs, NDBs, Loran, et al are also "navigation
systems", but the only components that pilots typically work with are the
receivers, just as for GPS.

Neil

Old November 13th 06, 06:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Steve Foley

"karl gruber" wrote in message

Your belief is wrong. Could be DEAD wrong. Read MX's posts...........he
can give you an education on this subject.

Karl

It's entirely possible he could give me an education on this subject, but
I'd rather go to a reliable source.

Old November 13th 06, 07:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Barney Rubble

But it would be kind of weird to be above 10K where a Mode-C transponder is
required, but not have a radio or altimeter...

"Steven P. McNicoll" wrote in message
nk.net...

"TxSrv" wrote in message
. ..

That Reg does not apply to flight within 3,000 above the surface. You
have to look at two other Regs to conclude that. Therefore, under 3,000,
an adjustable altimeter is not required per 91.205. FARs don't apply to
you; stay away.

An altimeter adjustable for barometric pressure is not required for VFR
flight at any altitude.

If you're operating at any altitude below 18,000 feet and you're equipped
with a radio and you have an altimeter adjustable for barometric pressure
you must set it to the current reported altimeter setting of an
appropriate available station, VFR and IFR.

Old November 13th 06, 07:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Newps

"Mxsmanic" wrote in message

No, it is not. It's especially dangerous for RVSM flight, but it's so
inaccurate that it should never be used for anything,

Your complete misunderstanding of the GPS system is showing. I have two
GPS's in the plane, one panel mount and one portable. It is rare that
either one is ever off by more than 100 feet in altitude. Using GPS for
your altitude for VFR flight would be perfectly fine.
Old November 13th 06, 07:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Newps

Mxsmanic wrote:

Neil Gould writes:

It's a part of my 295, and every Garmin aviation GPS newer than that.

Those are receivers, not the GPS. WAAS is completely independent of
GPS.

It's integral to the system. You receive WAAS from a satellite.
Old November 13th 06, 07:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Newps

Mxsmanic wrote:

Neil Gould writes:

When we speak of GPS _usage_ in aviation, we are specifically and almost
exclusively talking about receivers.

I'm not sure who "we" are, but GPS is a navigation system, not just a
receiver.

Exactly, a system. WAAS is part of that system.
Old November 13th 06, 07:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Mxsmanic

Steve Foley writes:

It's entirely possible he could give me an education on this subject, but
I'd rather go to a reliable source.

Better still, just don't depend on GPS for altitude.

Old November 13th 06, 07:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Mxsmanic

Newps writes:

Your complete misunderstanding of the GPS system is showing. I have two
GPS's in the plane, one panel mount and one portable. It is rare that
either one is ever off by more than 100 feet in altitude. Using GPS for
your altitude for VFR flight would be perfectly fine.

I can see the NTSB report now: "Pilot failed to understand limitations
of GPS navigation." But as long as I'm not flying with you, I don't
care. Do what you want.

Old November 13th 06, 07:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Mxsmanic

Newps writes:

Exactly, a system. WAAS is part of that system.

No, WAAS is a separate system.

I Hate Radios Ron Wanttaja Home Built 9 June 6th 05 05:39 PM
(sorta OT) Free Ham Radio Course RST Engineering Piloting 43 January 24th 05 08:05 PM
1944 Aerial War Comes to Life in Radio Play Otis Willie Military Aviation 0 March 25th 04 10:57 PM
Ham Radio In The Airplane Cy Galley Owning 23 July 8th 03 03:30 AM