Phantom at Fallon

Old November 11th 04, 06:19 PM
F9pnthr

Default Phantom at Fallon

While visiting the flightline at NAS Fallon in early September, I photographed
a Phantom taking off. On examining the photo today, it appears to be an F-4E
from the nose configuration. Also, it's a darker grey than the navy aircraft in
other photos. Does anyone have any thoughts on what this aircraft mey be?
Old November 11th 04, 08:27 PM
Jdf4cheval

Thanks, Ed. I thought of that, but if so it didn't have the national marking
stripes along the top of the Vertical Stab.
Joe
Old November 11th 04, 09:53 PM
Jim

Jdf4cheval wrote:
Thanks, Ed. I thought of that, but if so it didn't have the national marking
stripes along the top of the Vertical Stab.
Joe

Ours or theirs? Foreign military aircraft based in the U.S. are
required to have U.S. markings.
Old November 11th 04, 11:04 PM
Jdf4cheval

Our markings, but the Luftwaffe trainers had three thin lines of black, red and
yellow across the top of the vertical stabiliser.

Old November 12th 04, 12:19 AM
Jake Donovan

It would probably be a VX 30 Bloodhound.

They are technically QF4s but several of them are painted all grey with a
low profile wolf painted on the tail

Jake

Old November 12th 04, 02:45 PM
Pechs1

Chief- Ours or theirs? Foreign military aircraft based in the U.S. are
required to have U.S. markings.
BRBR

Don't think so. I flew in RedFlag with brit and german A/C and they were marked
like normally.
P. C. Chisholm
CDR, USN(ret.)
Old November 12th 04, 04:01 PM
C.D.Damron

I don't think it is a law, but a military policy that foreign aircraft that
are permanently based in the US should wear US markings. I'm not sure if
German traiining units participated in Red Flag, but they normally wear US
markings.

With regards to Germany, at one time, post-war German law prevented
permanent basing of troops abroad. For a number of years, German training
was technically a lease-back program where the US "leased" German planes
flown by German pilots in training.

At least in the post-war period, there were some sensibilities to be
respected. Many veterans would not have been comfortable with planes
wearing the Iron Cross flying overhead.

"Pechs1" wrote in message
Chief- Ours or theirs? Foreign military aircraft based in the U.S. are
required to have U.S. markings.
BRBR

Don't think so. I flew in RedFlag with brit and german A/C and they were

marked
like normally.
P. C. Chisholm
CDR, USN(ret.)
Old Phart Phormer Phantom, Turkey, Viper, Scooter and Combat Buckeye

Phlyer

Old November 12th 04, 05:21 PM
José Herculano

Don't think so. I flew in RedFlag with brit and german A/C and they were
marked
like normally.

That's because they were not based in the US. The F-4F that the Germans have
for training in Holloman fly with US markings.
José Herculano