Radio Procedure - Runway ID

Old October 16th 05, 02:38 AM
Gerald Sylvester

Default Radio Procedure - Runway ID

Steven P. McNicoll wrote:
The last zero and the airport. Again, poor technique is required to justify
the leading zero.

0.13 seconds to completely avoid any confusion whatsoever. Are
you saying that pilots should also read back clearances by
saying their call sign first rather than last?
No one is perfect, even you. The 0.13 seconds is well worth it.
Get a grip.

Gerald
Old October 16th 05, 02:53 AM
Steven P. McNicoll

"Gerald Sylvester" wrote in message
m...

0.13 seconds to completely avoid any confusion whatsoever. Are
you saying that pilots should also read back clearances by
saying their call sign first rather than last?
No one is perfect, even you. The 0.13 seconds is well worth it.
Get a grip.

The leading zero is a source for potential confusion. If someone transposes
digits "runway zero two" becomes "runway two zero". If proper procedures
are used "runway two" cannot be transposed as anything and 0.13 seconds are
saved as a bonus.

Old October 16th 05, 07:44 PM
Casey Wilson

"Steven P. McNicoll" wrote in message
link.net...

"Gerald Sylvester" wrote in message
m...

0.13 seconds to completely avoid any confusion whatsoever. Are
you saying that pilots should also read back clearances by
saying their call sign first rather than last?
No one is perfect, even you. The 0.13 seconds is well worth it.
Get a grip.

The leading zero is a source for potential confusion. If someone
transposes digits "runway zero two" becomes "runway two zero". If proper
procedures are used "runway two" cannot be transposed as anything and 0.13
seconds are saved as a bonus.

......and someone said somthing about justification using...???

Old October 17th 05, 10:51 AM
Cub Driver

On Fri, 14 Oct 2005 18:47:32 GMT, "Casey Wilson" N2310D @ gmail.com
wrote:

Now, I was calling the runway as 02, like in "....33Xray, turning left base,
runway Zero-Two, Inyokern." Over the radio comes a voice to admonish me
that, "...there is no zero in front of the two." Never wanting to rankle a
fellow pilot, I dropped the zero -- well, most of the time, anyway.
Thirty-year-old habits are hard to break.

Does it matter? Is there a protocol for this?

Note that Zero Two is a particular case, since the reciprocal is Two
Zero. The locals may have found (as I find) that there's a tendency to
confuse these two.

My home aport is 02/20, and I have learned to say Runway Two when
landing to the north, and Two Zero when landing to the south. I find
it's a great help.

I would not have a similar problem with 03/19.

-- all the best, Dan Ford

email: usenet AT danford DOT net

Warbird's Forum: www.warbirdforum.com
Piper Cub Forum: www.pipercubforum.com
the blog: www.danford.net
In Search of Lost Time: www.readingproust.com
Old October 17th 05, 12:06 PM
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

Cub Driver wrote:
Now, I was calling the runway as 02, like in "....33Xray, turning left base,
runway Zero-Two, Inyokern." Over the radio comes a voice to admonish me
that, "...there is no zero in front of the two." Never wanting to rankle a
fellow pilot, I dropped the zero -- well, most of the time, anyway.
Thirty-year-old habits are hard to break.

Does it matter? Is there a protocol for this?

Note that Zero Two is a particular case, since the reciprocal is Two
Zero. The locals may have found (as I find) that there's a tendency to
confuse these two.

My home aport is 02/20, and I have learned to say Runway Two when
landing to the north, and Two Zero when landing to the south. I find
it's a great help.

My home airport (KUZA.. Rock Hill, SC) has runway 02/20 also. I have always
prefaced runway two with the zero. Not only that, I include the name of the
place twice in a transmission. ("Rock Hill traffic, Cessna 417 entering a left
downwind for runway zero two, Rock Hill.") I know the purists don't approve,
but i think of how many times I've listened to an announcement on the radio
where the location name was lost in transmission... either stepped on or I
wasn't paying attention. Besides, what's an addition two words in the interest
of clarity?

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

VE

Old October 17th 05, 02:50 PM
N93332

"Cub Driver" usenet AT danford DOT net wrote in message
news
My home aport is 02/20, and I have learned to say Runway Two when
landing to the north, and Two Zero when landing to the south. I find
it's a great help.

I would not have a similar problem with 03/19.

Curved runway? ;-)

We all know you meant to type 1/19 or 3/21...

Old October 17th 05, 04:51 PM
Ash Wyllie

N93332 opined

"Cub Driver" usenet AT danford DOT net wrote in message
news
My home aport is 02/20, and I have learned to say Runway Two when
landing to the north, and Two Zero when landing to the south. I find
it's a great help.

I would not have a similar problem with 03/19.

Curved runway? ;-)

No, he is in an area where the isogonic lines are real close together.

We all know you meant to type 1/19 or 3/21...

-ash
Cthulhu in 2005!
Why wait for nature?

Old October 17th 05, 10:29 PM
Montblack

("Ash Wyllie" wrote)
Curved runway? ;-)

We all know you meant to type 1/19 or 3/21...

No, he is in an area where the isogonic lines are real close together.

Airport (1970) was on TV the other night.

Burt Lancaster's discussion in the office (with an SST model on the table)
was the closing of 29 and using 22 instead (Airport Commission members live
under the flight path - noise issues). Burt wants to keep the airport open!
Darn it!

Montblack
Movie filmed at Minneapolis/St Paul (MSP) when I was 9.

I Hate Radios Ron Wanttaja Home Built 9 June 6th 05 05:39 PM
Emergency Procedures RD Piloting 13 April 11th 04 08:25 PM
Why not use the F-22 to replace the F/A-18 and F-14? Guy Alcala Military Aviation 265 March 7th 04 09:28 AM
Ham Radio In The Airplane Cy Galley Owning 23 July 8th 03 03:30 AM