A320 with gear problem over LA

Old September 22nd 05, 12:54 AM
Skywise

Default A320 with gear problem over LA

As I write this at 4:50 pm pacific time, there is a Jet
Blue A320 circling with a nose gear problem. It's rotated
90 degrees.

The news is carrying live video of the plane, but details
aren't fixed. It may be landing at Long Beach or LAX. It
was bound for JFK from Burbank so it has several hours of
fuel on board. There's talk about dumping fuel or burning
it off, but again the reports aren't clear.

Jet Blue flight 292.

Oh, and the talking heads are really a laugh. "So I take it
the nose gear on all big jets can turn?" duh....how do you
think they steer?

Brian

Sed quis custodiet ipsos Custodes?
Old September 22nd 05, 12:59 AM
Jay Beckman

"Skywise" wrote in message
As I write this at 4:50 pm pacific time, there is a Jet
Blue A320 circling with a nose gear problem. It's rotated
90 degrees.

The news is carrying live video of the plane, but details
aren't fixed. It may be landing at Long Beach or LAX. It
was bound for JFK from Burbank so it has several hours of
fuel on board. There's talk about dumping fuel or burning
it off, but again the reports aren't clear.

Jet Blue flight 292.

Oh, and the talking heads are really a laugh. "So I take it
the nose gear on all big jets can turn?" duh....how do you
think they steer?

Brian

KABC is streaming it to the web live...

Old September 22nd 05, 01:09 AM
Ben Hallert

One of the talking heads just said they will foam the runway. I
thought that introduced more problems then it solved for a situation
like this. My dad said he heard someone on Fox say something about a
"soft tail" landing, I wonder if perhaps they meant 'soft field'
landing where they hold the nose off the ground as long as possible.

Ben Hallert
PP-ASEL

Old September 22nd 05, 01:27 AM
Kev

Skywise wrote:
As I write this at 4:50 pm pacific time, there is a Jet
Blue A320 circling with a nose gear problem. It's rotated
90 degrees.

The news says that A320s are designed so that they cannot dump fuel,
thus this loaded plane must fly around for a while to burn off some.

Anyone know why the A320 is designed that way?

Good luck to the crew, btw. Watching it on TV, watching arrivals on
Airport Monitor, and listening via Live ATC. What a world!

Kev

Old September 22nd 05, 01:44 AM
Bob Moore

"Kev" wrote

The news says that A320s are designed so that they cannot dump fuel,
thus this loaded plane must fly around for a while to burn off some.
Anyone know why the A320 is designed that way?

(a) A fuel jettisoning system must be installed on each airplane unless it
is shown that the airplane meets the climb requirements of §§25.119 and
25.121(d) at maximum takeoff weight, less the actual or computed weight of
fuel necessary for a 15-minute flight comprised of a takeoff, go-around,
and landing at the airport of departure with the airplane configuration,
speed, power, and thrust the same as that used in meeting the applicable
takeoff, approach, and landing climb performance requirements of this part.

Old September 22nd 05, 01:49 AM
Bucky

Jay Beckman wrote:
KABC is streaming it to the web live...

Thanks for the heads up, this was a great resource at work.

Old September 22nd 05, 01:49 AM
Kev

Bob Moore wrote:
"Kev" wrote

The news says that A320s are designed so that they cannot dump fuel,
thus this loaded plane must fly around for a while to burn off some.
Anyone know why the A320 is designed that way?

(a) A fuel jettisoning system must be installed on each airplane unless it
is shown that the airplane meets the climb requirements of =A7=A725.119 a=

nd
25.121(d) at maximum takeoff weight, less the actual or computed weight of
fuel necessary for a 15-minute flight comprised of a takeoff, go-around,
and landing at the airport of departure with the airplane configuration,
speed, power, and thrust the same as that used in meeting the applicable
takeoff, approach, and landing climb performance requirements of this par=

t=2E

Aha. Thanks so much! It never hit me that dumping fuel would be
related to a climb requirement. I was thinking of max landing weight,
or dumping fuel if you need to make an emergency landing (as in this
case).

Kev

Old September 22nd 05, 01:49 AM
Skywise

"Ben Hallert" wrote in news:1127347757.850538.311870
@g49g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

One of the talking heads just said they will foam the runway. I
thought that introduced more problems then it solved for a situation
like this. My dad said he heard someone on Fox say something about a
"soft tail" landing, I wonder if perhaps they meant 'soft field'
landing where they hold the nose off the ground as long as possible.

Ben Hallert
PP-ASEL

I'm watching ch 7 (KABC) and they're saying 'soft field'.

BTW, it appears that they are circling to burn off fuel as the
A320 cannot dump fuel. But the setting sun will be becoming a
problem as time goes on as the current plan is to land at 25L
at LAX, into the setting sun.

Oh, and the LAPD has just gone to city wide tactical alert. A
bit overkill, I think. It's not a terrorist attack. It's just
a plane making a rougher landing than usual. Unless something
goes drastically wrong, I think they'll pull through just fine.

Old September 22nd 05, 01:50 AM
Skywise

"Kev" wrote in news:1127348824.014065.179670
@g44g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

Snipola
Good luck to the crew, btw. Watching it on TV, watching arrivals on
Airport Monitor, and listening via Live ATC. What a world!

Kev

Anything of interest heard on Live ATC? I can't connect. Too busy.

Old September 22nd 05, 01:56 AM
Bucky

Ben Hallert wrote:
One of the talking heads just said they will foam the runway. I
thought that introduced more problems then it solved for a situation
like this.

I just heard on KABC an interview with an official from the LA fire
department, Jim Wells, who confirmed that they are not foaming the
runways. The radio host must have asked him at least a dozen times, "So
you're not going to foam the runway?" Wells started running low on
patience, "No, we are NOT foaming the runway."

Wells said that they are currently anticipating a landing around
6:05-6:10pm PT. They said they will run firetrucks along with the plane
as it lands and foam the plane if necessary.

Yet another alternator problem Chris Kennedy Owning 7 July 16th 04 04:28 PM
Nose gear failure Greg Esres Owning 12 April 20th 04 11:03 PM
Garmin fixes moving waypoint problem -- almost Jon Woellhaf Instrument Flight Rules 6 November 28th 03 05:29 PM
Aluminum vs Fiberglass landing gear - Pro's and cons. Bart D. Hull Home Built 0 November 22nd 03 06:24 AM
Landing gear door operation Elliot Wilen Naval Aviation 11 July 7th 03 03:47 PM