Way off topic, but it has do to with the French

Old March 6th 08, 08:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Kloudy via AviationKB.com

Default Way off topic, but it has do to with the French

Jim Logajan wrote:

Q: Did you hear about the Romanian Helicopter crash?
A: The pilot got cold, so he turned off the fan.

(My last name is Romanian or some corruption of it, so we heard a lot of
Romanian jokes from him. :-))

Why did the Romanian sumarine sink?

Someone left the screen-door open.

Old March 6th 08, 08:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Phil J

On Mar 5, 10:03*pm, "Jay Honeck" wrote:
I like a good joke, and I found the original post pretty clever. *But
I only take it as a joke, and I don't take the underlying stereotypes
seriously. * Your posts attempt to show why the jokes and stereotypes
are actually justified. *I didn't find the original joke offensive,
but your posts I definitely find offensive.

Your hypersensitivity aside, I'm trying to explain to you WHY the French are
the butt of jokes in America. *Whether you choose to listen or not is
irrelevant, and we haven't even begun to discuss whether I believe the jokes
are justified.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

It doesn't require hypersensitivity when someone is so glaringly
offensive. Nearly everyone on this thread has been trying to point
out to you that the French are not really different (better or worse)
than any other nationality on this planet, but no one can get through
to you. You are the one choosing not to listen, Jay.

Phil
Old March 6th 08, 09:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dan[_10_]

On Mar 6, 3:30 pm, Wolfgang Schwanke wrote:

It's the safest place on earth. Terrorists never bomb the same place
twice.

Not really:

World Trade Center in NY -- attacked in 1993 and 2001

Old March 6th 08, 09:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dan[_10_]

On Mar 6, 11:05 am, "Jay Honeck" wrote:

The problem with you (and people like you) is that you can't ever discuss a
topic without taking it personally. Hell, I *am* French, and I don't give
two ****s about who makes fun of whom -- and YOU'RE the one getting your
panties in a bunch?

What a maroon.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA
Pathfinder N56993www.AlexisParkInn.com
"Your Aviation Destination"

Wait -- two posts ago you said your mother had some French ancestry,
now you *are* French?

Are you speaking as an American or as a Frenchman? Because if you're a
Frenchman I take back everything ever implied in their defense -- they
most certainly are ignorant buffoons.

Dan

Old March 6th 08, 09:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dan[_10_]

On Mar 6, 11:51 am, "Jay Honeck" wrote:
Combine that with their inexplicable arrogance in the face of
irrelevance,
and you have comic fodder.

I've actually been to France. Perhaps because I didn't go to Paris, but
was in the middle of nowhere... but I didn't find the people to be in
any way arrogant. They were, in fact, no different to the typical middle
class American - they were just normal and perfectly pleasant people,
who just spoke a funny language. Although I found I was fluent in French
if I drank enough wine in a short enough time period. Well, it seemed
that way anyway.

G I've spoken many languages fluently after too much wine...

As I pointed out up-thread, French people on an individual level are often
regarded as "cool", "suave", and "debonair". This is in stark contrast to
their national reputation, which can be summed up as "bumbling", "lazy", and
"cowardly".

This sets anti-French humor apart from the humor that is poked at (for
example) Poles. "Pollock Jokes" (as they are called in Wisconsin) make
individual Poles sound like idiots, yet no one regards the Polish nation or
its government as anything less than gallant.

It's an interesting, telling difference that some state-funded sociologist
could make a career out of studying, I'm sure.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA
Pathfinder N56993www.AlexisParkInn.com
"Your Aviation Destination"

Jay,

Just because you think something is so, does not make it so.

Apparently you have a problem with that distinction.

It's not about France -- it's about your adamant refusal to see that
you reasoning is flawed.

If a mental defective says 3+2 = 5, he's right.

But if arrives at that conclusion because 3 has a mystical union with
2 and the shape of 5 represents dogs -- you'd know his reasoning --
how he arrived at the conclusion -- is flawed. And that's how you know
he's unreasonable.

And that's your problem. I'll say it one more time then I'm done
trying to explain this basic logic to you -- just because YOU think
"Americans joke about" the French and those jokes are true while other
stereotype jokes are untrue is simply unreasonable.

Now, another test of insanity is repeating the same action and
expecting a different result.

So to avoid that state I'm done trying to pond this round peg into
this very, very off shaped hole.

Dan

Old March 6th 08, 09:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Kloudy via AviationKB.com

Dan wrote:
Combine that with their inexplicable arrogance in the face of
irrelevance,

[quoted text clipped - 27 lines]
Pathfinder N56993www.AlexisParkInn.com
"Your Aviation Destination"

If a mental defective says 3+2 = 5, he's right.

But if arrives at that conclusion because 3 has a mystical union with
2 and the shape of 5 represents dogs -- you'd know his reasoning --
how he arrived at the conclusion -- is flawed.

His math is off too.

3 has a mystical union but it is not with 2.

It is with my Aunt Debbie.

the fact that 5 represents dogs is a given.

hope that helps

Old March 6th 08, 10:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dan[_10_]

On Mar 6, 4:57 pm, "Kloudy via AviationKB.com" u33403@uwe wrote:

But if arrives at that conclusion because 3 has a mystical union with
2 and the shape of 5 represents dogs -- you'd know his reasoning --
how he arrived at the conclusion -- is flawed.

His math is off too.

3 has a mystical union but it is not with 2.

It is with my Aunt Debbie.

the fact that 5 represents dogs is a given.

hope that helps

DOH!!!!

There ya go....
Old March 6th 08, 10:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Gig 601XL Builder[_2_]

Wolfgang Schwanke wrote:

It's the safest place on earth. Terrorists never bomb the same place
twice.

World Trade Center 1993 2001
Old March 7th 08, 03:59 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck[_2_]

Lest someone think this signifies a journalistic association, you
delivered newspapers. You managed many people who delivered the papers.
Your role was supply management, which is not to take away from the
responsibility, but you have never had any job reporting or handling the
news in any way, except to toss it onto the doorstep. Implying otherwise
is to claim expertise to which you are not entitled.

Gee, Stella, I guess I wasn't making a distinction between the pressroom,
the newsroom, circulation and marketing. I've held positions in three of
those four realms, and, as head of marketing, met with, directed, and
interacted with the newsroom folks at the highest levels.

In other words, I told the newsroom people what to do in order to maximize
sales. That's hardly "delivering papers" -- although two of the companies
I've owned since then *did* deliver newspapers. All over the better part
of two states.

Or did you think I bought the hotel with my paper route money?

Strangely, the one department I never worked in directly was the newsroom --
despite the English degree I earned with the intention of becoming a
reporter. I *did* write some articles (and still do now), but it just
worked out that I was quickly promoted beyond the newsroom, and never looked
back. Later on I parlayed these management positions into my first two
businesses.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old March 7th 08, 04:13 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck[_2_]

It doesn't require hypersensitivity when someone is so glaringly
offensive. Nearly everyone on this thread has been trying to point
out to you that the French are not really different (better or worse)
than any other nationality on this planet, but no one can get through
to you. You are the one choosing not to listen, Jay.

No, Phil -- you're just not grasping the content of the conversation, which
is a dispassionate analysis of *why* the French are the butt of so many
jokes in America. Apparently you think that to discuss this phenomenon is
to somehow agree with it -- which is silly and just plain wrong.

As an aside, it is this national inability to discuss things dispassionately
that has lead to the near-complete polarization of the American political
climate. Almost no topic can be discussed or analyzed without *someone*
making it into a personal affront -- and then dialogue just becomes noisy
shouting with no compromise.

There is an interesting analysis of this phenomenon in Newsweek this week
WRT the passing of William F. Buckley. In his hey-day, Buckley would
invite people from all ends of the social and political spectrum to his show
(and into his home) to politely and intellectually discuss all manner of
topics -- and they would actually be able to debate the issues without
descending into chaos, the way the talk shows do today. It was so
incredibly civilized, and stands in stark contrast to the way EVERYTHING is
taken personally nowadays.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA