Winch Launch Fatality

Old June 23rd 09, 05:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
T8

Default Winch Launch Fatality

On Jun 23, 11:14*am, Martin Gregorie
wrote:

Apart from anything else, your hand should be on the release knob during
the launch, so pulling it a couple of times immediately after pushing
over and just before letting go of it is an obvious move. That is taught
as SOP in my club.

That's surprising to me... a non-winch qualified guy. On an aero tow,
I would call that very risky business indeed.

-T8
Old June 23rd 09, 05:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
T8

wrote:

Apart from anything else, your hand should be on the release knob during
the launch

This is surprising to me -- a non-winch-qualified pilot. Do you do
the same for aero tow?

-T8
Old June 23rd 09, 05:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Smith

T8 wrote:

Apart from anything else, your hand should be on the release knob during
the launch,

That's surprising to me... a non-winch qualified guy. On an aero tow,
I would call that very risky business indeed.

Some do, some don't, but event those who don't do have their left hand
very near the knob and grab it several times during the pre-flight
routine. Because if you should happen to drop a wing and start a ground
loop, then things develop *extremely* quick on the winch.
Old June 23rd 09, 05:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Surfer!

In message
, T8
writes
wrote:

Apart from anything else, your hand should be on the release knob during
the launch

This is surprising to me -- a non-winch-qualified pilot. Do you do
the same for aero tow?

That is what is taught in the UK.

--
Surfer!
Email to: ramwater at uk2 dot net
Old June 23rd 09, 05:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Smith

bildan wrote:

why a priority?

Pushing the stick and pulling the release is *one* movement. You don't
have to think about it.

The reason I brought this up is that I have seen many pilots nearly
bungle a recovery while pulling the release.

I just don't believe this. But *if* it were true, then those pilots
would *urgently* need a couple of training flights.

Even with a hand on the
release, there's no guarantee a pilot will pull it - I've seen pilots
take their hand off the release and pull the spoilers.

Again, if this were true, then those pilots would urgently need a couple
of training flights.

It seems that there's something very wrong with the pilot training at
your site.
Old June 23rd 09, 05:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
bildan

On Jun 23, 10:42*am, John Smith wrote:
bildan wrote:
why a priority?

Pushing the stick and pulling the release is *one* movement. You don't
have to think about it.

You DO have to think about it and doesn't answer the question, "WHY A
PRIORITY?" Just because something is easy doesn't make it a priority.
Old June 23rd 09, 05:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Smith

bildan wrote:

Pushing the stick and pulling the release is *one* movement. You don't
have to think about it.

You DO have to think about it and doesn't answer the question, "WHY A
PRIORITY?" Just because something is easy doesn't make it a priority.

If you have to think about it, then you need more training. Granted, if
you don't have that reflex incorporated, *then* you have to think about it.
Old June 23rd 09, 05:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
bildan

wrote:

Apart from anything else, your hand should be on the release knob during
the launch

This is surprising to me -- a non-winch-qualified pilot. *Do you do
the same for aero tow?

-T8

It's a good idea for aero tow. We can all think of accidents where a
life would have been saved if the pilot had pulled the release before
becoming airborne. It's not only where you put your hand, it's also a
mindset to pull off if something doesn't feel right.

For example, there are several accidents over the years where pilots
took off with disconnected controls. It's much easier to tow a glider
back to the start line than sweep up the pieces.

Old June 23rd 09, 06:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
T8

On Jun 23, 12:33*pm, John Smith wrote:
T8 wrote:
Apart from anything else, your hand should be on the release knob during
the launch,

That's surprising to me... a non-winch qualified guy. *On an aero tow,
I would call that very risky business indeed.

Some do, some don't, but event those who don't do have their left hand
very near the knob and grab it several times during the pre-flight
routine. Because if you should happen to drop a wing and start a ground
loop, then things develop *extremely* quick on the winch.

I'm not an instructor, but our instructors teach "near" and "conscious
of". I understand "on" at the beginning of the roll, and I
occasionally do this, especially given conditions that might cause a
ground loop (no wing runner for instance) but we'd strongly discourage
hand on the release after the glider leaves the ground. Hand on the
knob in rough air and subsequent inadvertent release led to a very
serious accident a year or two ago. We'd wondered where the heck the
pilot picked up that habit.

-T8