A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Uvalde wrap-up



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old August 19th 08, 01:55 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
DRN
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 107
Default Uvalde wrap-up

For those interested, I posted my final blog on Uvalde,
including flying the P-51 Mustang and some new pictures:
http://www.nadler.com/public/Uvalde2008.html
Enjoy !

A magnificent adventure, but great to be back home with Renee and
Rupert !

Best Regards, Dave "YO electric"
Ads
  #2  
Old August 19th 08, 02:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JJ Sinclair
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 388
Default Uvalde wrap-up

On Aug 18, 5:55*pm, DRN wrote:
For those interested, I posted my final blog on Uvalde,
including flying the P-51 Mustang and some new pictures:
* *http://www.nadler.com/public/Uvalde2008.html
Enjoy !

A magnificent adventure, but great to be back home with Renee and
Rupert !

Best Regards, Dave "YO electric"


Thanks for sharing, Dave. I enjoyed reading your daily reports. Must
be nice to have your crew reduced to a single switch............how's
it marked? Stand-by and Take me home?
Cheers,
JJ
  #3  
Old August 19th 08, 03:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,096
Default Uvalde wrap-up

JJ Sinclair wrote:
On Aug 18, 5:55 pm, DRN wrote:
For those interested, I posted my final blog on Uvalde,
including flying the P-51 Mustang and some new pictures:
http://www.nadler.com/public/Uvalde2008.html
Enjoy !

A magnificent adventure, but great to be back home with Renee and
Rupert !

Best Regards, Dave "YO electric"


Thanks for sharing, Dave. I enjoyed reading your daily reports. Must
be nice to have your crew reduced to a single switch............how's
it marked? Stand-by and Take me home?


If you have one of those switches, you might find that your crew is more
willing to go to a contest or soaring camp! That's my observation and
personal experience. Irony, huh?

Though, I have to admit, I have several of those "switches", giving me a
greater opportunity to have one set in the wrong position. A single
lever control like the Antares has to be the gold standard.

--
Eric Greenwell - Washington State, USA
* Change "netto" to "net" to email me directly

* Updated! "Transponders in Sailplanes" http://tinyurl.com/y739x4
* New Jan '08 - sections on Mode S, TPAS, ADS-B, Flarm, more

* "A Guide to Self-launching Sailplane Operation" at www.motorglider.org
  #4  
Old August 19th 08, 03:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
bumper
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 322
Default Uvalde wrap-up


"Eric Greenwell" wrote in message news:dAAqk.275$
Though, I have to admit, I have several of those "switches", giving me a
greater opportunity to have one set in the wrong position. A single lever
control like the Antares has to be the gold standard.

--
Eric Greenwell - Washington State, USA



Be happy with your "complicated" multiple switch set up". Dave "YO
electric" is treading on thin ice (or air) here, as having a single switch
will surely result in pilot boredom and cause the pilot to feel less useful,
no longer needed. It is a dangerous step towards eliminating the pilot
entirely (see previous UAV thread).

My recommendation is to install lots of additional switches and knobs in any
unused portion of the instrument panel, even if they are not connected to
anything. This will bolster pilot confidence and feelings of self-worth, as
well as impress onlookers.

bumper
zz


  #5  
Old August 19th 08, 11:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
DRN
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 107
Default Uvalde wrap-up

On Aug 19, 9:51 am, "bumper" wrote:
"Eric Greenwell" wrote in message news:dAAqk.275$

Though, I have to admit, I have several of those "switches", giving me a

greater opportunity to have one set in the wrong position. A single lever
control like the Antares has to be the gold standard.


--
Eric Greenwell - Washington State, USA


Be happy with your "complicated" multiple switch set up". Dave "YO
electric" is treading on thin ice (or air) here, as having a single switch
will surely result in pilot boredom and cause the pilot to feel less useful,
no longer needed. It is a dangerous step towards eliminating the pilot
entirely (see previous UAV thread).

My recommendation is to install lots of additional switches and knobs in any
unused portion of the instrument panel, even if they are not connected to
anything. This will bolster pilot confidence and feelings of self-worth, as
well as impress onlookers.

bumper
zz


Ah yes, but I have already added one additional control.
Actuation is by bowden cable with knob on panel.
Note all hydrodynamicalthing controls located together on panel
and properly labeled:
http://www.nadler.com/antares/Antare...ef_Cockpit.jpg
Exterior view:
http://www.nadler.com/antares/Antare..._Extension.jpg

Pull-To-P is trademarked ;-)

Worked great until I left it extended and rolled the glider
into the fuselage dolly. Mark II will be spring-loaded to
prevent this...

See ya, Dave "YO electric"
  #6  
Old August 20th 08, 12:17 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Greg Arnold[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 148
Default Uvalde wrap-up

DRN wrote:


Ah yes, but I have already added one additional control.
Actuation is by bowden cable with knob on panel.
Note all hydrodynamicalthing controls located together on panel
and properly labeled:
http://www.nadler.com/antares/Antare...ef_Cockpit.jpg
Exterior view:
http://www.nadler.com/antares/Antare..._Extension.jpg

Pull-To-P is trademarked ;-)

Worked great until I left it extended and rolled the glider
into the fuselage dolly. Mark II will be spring-loaded to
prevent this...

See ya, Dave "YO electric"


Looks like you have 2 tow release knobs. Judging from the little
decals, the lower knob releases the tow rope, while the upper knob
manually drops the gear?

Once you have pulled the wrong knob and manually dropped the gear, can
you retract the gear electrically?
  #7  
Old August 20th 08, 12:33 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Kuykendall
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,322
Default Uvalde wrap-up

On Aug 19, 4:17*pm, Greg Arnold wrote:

Once you have pulled the wrong knob and manually dropped the gear...


That feature is restricted to the RO version of the product.

Thanks, Bob K.
  #8  
Old August 20th 08, 01:37 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
DRN
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 107
Default Uvalde wrap-up

On Aug 19, 6:17 pm, Greg Arnold wrote:
DRN wrote:

Ah yes, but I have already added one additional control.
Actuation is by bowden cable with knob on panel.
Note all hydrodynamicalthing controls located together on panel
and properly labeled:
http://www.nadler.com/antares/Antare...ef_Cockpit.jpg
Exterior view:
http://www.nadler.com/antares/Antare..._Extension.jpg


Pull-To-P is trademarked ;-)


Worked great until I left it extended and rolled the glider
into the fuselage dolly. Mark II will be spring-loaded to
prevent this...


See ya, Dave "YO electric"


Looks like you have 2 tow release knobs. Judging from the little
decals, the lower knob releases the tow rope, while the upper knob
manually drops the gear?


Correct.

Once you have pulled the wrong knob and manually dropped the gear, can
you retract the gear electrically?


Yes, but why would you do that ?

See ya, Dave "YO electric"
  #9  
Old August 20th 08, 11:27 PM
bagmaker bagmaker is offline
Senior Member
 
First recorded activity by AviationBanter: Aug 2005
Location: Melbourne Australia
Posts: 167
Default

I really enjoyed reading the wrap up of Uvalde, Dave, thanks for posting

Bagger
  #10  
Old August 21st 08, 01:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
DRN
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 107
Default Uvalde wrap-up

On Aug 20, 5:27 pm, bagmaker
wrote:
I really enjoyed reading the wrap up of Uvalde, Dave, thanks for
posting

Bagger

--
bagmaker


Thanks !
See ya, Dave "YO electric"
 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tie Wrap on Ventus Fin??? Gary Emerson Soaring 5 March 30th 08 08:18 PM
It's time to wrap up & keep warm ~ G-TBIO Andrew B Aviation Photos 6 December 23rd 06 01:45 AM
It's time to wrap up & keep warm ~ G-ARVU Andrew B Aviation Photos 0 December 22nd 06 05:18 PM
It's time to wrap up & keep warm ~ G-BTRS Andrew B Aviation Photos 0 December 22nd 06 05:18 PM
It's time to wrap up & keep warm ~ G-???? Andrew B Aviation Photos 0 December 22nd 06 05:18 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 10:01 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2020 AviationBanter.
The comments are property of their posters.