Uvalde wrap-up

Old August 19th 08, 01:55 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
DRN

Default Uvalde wrap-up

For those interested, I posted my final blog on Uvalde,
including flying the P-51 Mustang and some new pictures:
http://www.nadler.com/public/Uvalde2008.html
Enjoy !

A magnificent adventure, but great to be back home with Renee and
Rupert !

Best Regards, Dave "YO electric"
Old August 19th 08, 02:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JJ Sinclair

On Aug 18, 5:55*pm, DRN wrote:
For those interested, I posted my final blog on Uvalde,
including flying the P-51 Mustang and some new pictures:
* *http://www.nadler.com/public/Uvalde2008.html
Enjoy !

A magnificent adventure, but great to be back home with Renee and
Rupert !

Best Regards, Dave "YO electric"

Thanks for sharing, Dave. I enjoyed reading your daily reports. Must
be nice to have your crew reduced to a single switch............how's
it marked? Stand-by and Take me home?
Cheers,
JJ
Old August 19th 08, 03:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell

JJ Sinclair wrote:
On Aug 18, 5:55 pm, DRN wrote:
For those interested, I posted my final blog on Uvalde,
including flying the P-51 Mustang and some new pictures:
http://www.nadler.com/public/Uvalde2008.html
Enjoy !

A magnificent adventure, but great to be back home with Renee and
Rupert !

Best Regards, Dave "YO electric"

Thanks for sharing, Dave. I enjoyed reading your daily reports. Must
be nice to have your crew reduced to a single switch............how's
it marked? Stand-by and Take me home?

If you have one of those switches, you might find that your crew is more
willing to go to a contest or soaring camp! That's my observation and
personal experience. Irony, huh?

Though, I have to admit, I have several of those "switches", giving me a
greater opportunity to have one set in the wrong position. A single
lever control like the Antares has to be the gold standard.

--
Eric Greenwell - Washington State, USA

* Updated! "Transponders in Sailplanes" http://tinyurl.com/y739x4
* New Jan '08 - sections on Mode S, TPAS, ADS-B, Flarm, more

* "A Guide to Self-launching Sailplane Operation" at www.motorglider.org
Old August 19th 08, 03:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
bumper

"Eric Greenwell" wrote in message news:dAAqk.275$
Though, I have to admit, I have several of those "switches", giving me a
greater opportunity to have one set in the wrong position. A single lever
control like the Antares has to be the gold standard.

--
Eric Greenwell - Washington State, USA

Be happy with your "complicated" multiple switch set up". Dave "YO
electric" is treading on thin ice (or air) here, as having a single switch
will surely result in pilot boredom and cause the pilot to feel less useful,
no longer needed. It is a dangerous step towards eliminating the pilot
entirely (see previous UAV thread).

My recommendation is to install lots of additional switches and knobs in any
unused portion of the instrument panel, even if they are not connected to
anything. This will bolster pilot confidence and feelings of self-worth, as
well as impress onlookers.

bumper
zz

Old August 19th 08, 11:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
DRN

On Aug 19, 9:51 am, "bumper" wrote:
[...]

Ah yes, but I have already added one additional control.
Actuation is by bowden cable with knob on panel.
Note all hydrodynamicalthing controls located together on panel
and properly labeled:
http://www.nadler.com/antares/Antare...ef_Cockpit.jpg
Exterior view:
http://www.nadler.com/antares/Antare..._Extension.jpg

Pull-To-P is trademarked ;-)

Worked great until I left it extended and rolled the glider
into the fuselage dolly. Mark II will be spring-loaded to
prevent this...

See ya, Dave "YO electric"
Old August 20th 08, 12:17 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Greg Arnold[_2_]

DRN wrote:

Ah yes, but I have already added one additional control.
Actuation is by bowden cable with knob on panel.
Note all hydrodynamicalthing controls located together on panel
and properly labeled:
http://www.nadler.com/antares/Antare...ef_Cockpit.jpg
Exterior view:
http://www.nadler.com/antares/Antare..._Extension.jpg

Pull-To-P is trademarked ;-)

Worked great until I left it extended and rolled the glider
into the fuselage dolly. Mark II will be spring-loaded to
prevent this...

See ya, Dave "YO electric"

Looks like you have 2 tow release knobs. Judging from the little
decals, the lower knob releases the tow rope, while the upper knob
manually drops the gear?

Once you have pulled the wrong knob and manually dropped the gear, can
you retract the gear electrically?
Old August 20th 08, 12:33 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Kuykendall

On Aug 19, 4:17*pm, Greg Arnold wrote:

Once you have pulled the wrong knob and manually dropped the gear...

That feature is restricted to the RO version of the product.

Thanks, Bob K.
Old August 20th 08, 01:37 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
DRN

On Aug 19, 6:17 pm, Greg Arnold wrote:
DRN wrote:

Ah yes, but I have already added one additional control.
Actuation is by bowden cable with knob on panel.
Note all hydrodynamicalthing controls located together on panel
and properly labeled:
http://www.nadler.com/antares/Antare...ef_Cockpit.jpg
Exterior view:
http://www.nadler.com/antares/Antare..._Extension.jpg

Pull-To-P is trademarked ;-)

Worked great until I left it extended and rolled the glider
into the fuselage dolly. Mark II will be spring-loaded to
prevent this...

See ya, Dave "YO electric"

Looks like you have 2 tow release knobs. Judging from the little
decals, the lower knob releases the tow rope, while the upper knob
manually drops the gear?

Correct.

Once you have pulled the wrong knob and manually dropped the gear, can
you retract the gear electrically?

Yes, but why would you do that ?

See ya, Dave "YO electric"
Old August 20th 08, 11:27 PM
bagmaker bagmaker is offline
Senior Member

Location: Melbourne Australia

I really enjoyed reading the wrap up of Uvalde, Dave, thanks for posting

Bagger
Old August 21st 08, 01:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
DRN

On Aug 20, 5:27 pm, bagmaker
wrote:
I really enjoyed reading the wrap up of Uvalde, Dave, thanks for
posting

Bagger

--
bagmaker