Beginner, Parachutes?

Old November 20th 08, 02:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
vic20owner

Default Beginner, Parachutes?

Dumb beginner question follows:

I am just starting out flying gliders.... Here in the USA it seems
nobody wears a parachute unless they are contest flying or doing
aerobatics. However, I generally do like knowing that I have a backup
plan and a parachute seems reasonable. I suppose a history of cave
diving has made me sensitive to accident possibilities. I realize
flying is very safe but gliders tend to fly in circles near each
other.

Would it be premature to buy and wear a parachute while still taking
lessons, or would I quickly become the club's private joke?

thanks
Old November 20th 08, 03:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Nov 20, 8:57*am, vic20owner wrote:
Dumb beginner question follows:

I am just starting out flying gliders.... * Here in the USA it seems
nobody wears a parachute unless they are contest flying or doing
aerobatics. *However, I generally do like knowing that I have a backup
plan and a parachute seems reasonable. *I suppose a history of cave
diving has made me sensitive to accident possibilities. *I realize
flying is very safe but gliders tend to fly in circles near each
other.

Would it be premature to buy and wear a parachute while still taking
lessons, or would I quickly become the club's private joke?

thanks

Depends on the club culture. Also, it's considered poor taste to be
the only occupant of an aircraft wearing a parachute so while taking
instruction you'd need 2. Maybe the club already has a couple chutes
that are only worn for aerobatics and you can ask to use them for
regular instructional flights. Might raise some eyebrows. Once you
are near to solo I'd say go for it and get yourself a chute and learn
how to use it. With a background in cave diving I'd say your risk
management thinking is probably more developed than most regular
humans pilots included! My personal experience indicates that the
best place to shop for parachutes is http://www.silverparachutes.com/.
Whether you can afford new or used you will get the best service from
Alan. Beware the killer deal on a used chute from anyone else.

Now you really want to raise eyebrows? Ask about parachutes in
powered general aviation. They will think you are a loony (unless
it's aerobatics) in which case they will really think you are a loony.

Matt Michael
Old November 20th 08, 03:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Malcolm Austin

A few years ago I jumped into a K8 that had just arrived at our club.

It had almost an arm chair as a seat, so no room for a parachute. It was a
great day in mid summer so 10 minutes later I'm at nearly 7000'. Nice
flight and I came down to jump into my K6 to get my silver height gain,
which was duly done.

Arrived home to find my S & G magazine had arrived. Read the accidents
page and saw about a UK accident where a parachutist had hit the wing of
a K8 which then spun in. It must have taken quite a few seconds in descent
for that K8 to reach the ground, as he had no parachute.

I've never flown since if there was ever a chance of getting above winch
launch height. Yes some will laugh, but they did that we got seat belts in
cars didn't they?

I once was a passenger in about 1967 where we smashed into the side of a
car that jumped the lights. It was only at 20 mph and I was ready with my
hands on the dash, I still got a bloody nose when hitting the windscreen.
I learnt then that belts were a good thing, But you can't get such a
warning in
a glider hitting the ground. Parachutes fulfil the same function, so why not
use
one?

I do not agree with the safety police policies, but some things just seem to
be about
right!

Old November 20th 08, 03:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
vic20owner

I've never flown since if there was ever a chance of getting above winch
launch height. Yes some will laugh, but they did that we got seat belts in
cars didn't they?

Hi Malcom, I think you meant to say you've never flown without one
since. Just wanted to clarify that.

Thanks
-tom
Old November 20th 08, 03:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andy[_1_]

On Nov 20, 7:57*am, vic20owner wrote:
*
nobody wears a parachute unless they are contest flying or doing
aerobatics. *

No, that's just not true. You will find that almost all pilots that
own their own gliders and also fly cross county will wear a
parachute. Maybe some of them got into that habit because they also
fly contests in which parachutes are required. More likely they wear
parachutes because the glider was designed to use a parachute as part
of the seat back. Some pilots even like to think they have an option
if something goes wrong in flight.

Andy
Old November 20th 08, 04:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
toad

This is also my experience, everybody who owns a glider also has a
parachute. The clubs (that I know) don't own parachutes and most non-
owners don't either.

Todd
Old November 20th 08, 04:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Nov 20, 10:16*am, toad wrote:
This is also my experience, everybody who owns a glider also has a
parachute. *The clubs (that I know) don't own parachutes and most non-
owners don't either.

Todd

i started wearing a parachute when i bought the Cherokee. It just
seemed like a good idea, plus the glider is like 45 yrs old and built
out of wood, and I was going to be flying it XC. Since then there was
one day where I flew it and didnt have my parachute. I dont remember
why, it just wasnt around or something. Most nervous flight i've ever
been on. Can't explain it, Ive got over 2000 hrs in powered aircraft
without wearing a chute but I just wasnt comfortable in the glider
without it. Of course I will fly the club's Blanik and 2-22 without a
chute and never have a problem. I think part of the (psychological)
problem that I have is that the Cherokee is so quiet I can HEAR other
airplanes before I can see them. and the visibility, especially
towards the rear, is lousy. So now I always wear my parachute.

tony
Old November 20th 08, 05:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Malcolm Austin

No, I actually meant it the way it came out.

At my old club on a bad day, we might get 800 feet on the winch.
I never felt that if I had a problem, I'd be able to get out of the
glider and deploy the 'chute in time. So that was the time I might
not bother with the 'chute. But you can be sure that if conditions
showed the slightest possibility of being better the I'd be prepared!

Old November 20th 08, 05:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andy[_1_]

On Nov 20, 9:51*am, wrote:
I think part of the (psychological)
problem that I have is that the Cherokee is so quiet I can HEAR other
airplanes before I can see them.

At my first contest there was a mid air and one pilot died. At my
second contest I was searching for the first turnpoint when I heard
another glider go past before I saw him. It made a lasting impression
on me.

Andy
Old November 20th 08, 05:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
noel.wade

Bottom-line: Wearing a parachute is a personal choice (in the USA); so
if others choose not to wear one, that's their perogative. You should
feel free to do what you feel is best and safest - not what will make
you popular or fashionable around others. If your club members
ridicule you for trying to be safe, then it's the wrong club to be
associated with!

Take care,

--Noel

Beginner 4CH Electric RC Helicopter - Easy to fly NYPT Man Home Built 0 October 16th 05 08:31 AM
Beginner 4CH Electric RC Helicopter NYPT Man Rotorcraft 0 October 9th 05 06:43 PM
Another beginner Q Ramapriya Piloting 9 December 31st 04 05:19 PM
suggestion for beginner sunbearpcs Owning 5 January 21st 04 04:35 PM
ASW 24 WL for beginner ? Harry Soaring 37 July 26th 03 02:02 PM