OSH '05 Comments

Old August 2nd 05, 07:41 AM
Morgans

"Richard Riley" wrote

Jim - find another doctor.

Been there, done that.

I'll bet real money that a local chiropractor would help.

Three plus months. Also, accupunture, pain management, injecions and all,
(two years), othos, neuros, physical therapy,and a few more I didn't
mention..

I have degenerative disks, and permenant nerve damage. My back hurts, and
my leg and foot. My foot feels as it is severely bruised; like it has been
beaten on the bottom with a hammer. Yet I go on, as there is no other
choice.

If not with
the pain or the underlying condition, at least with the note.

I'll get the note, when it is time. I'm not there yet. With pain meds, a
nap will get me back for the rest of the day, for now.

I'm not "one of you" (rapping of wood) but I'm on your side.

I'm glad you're not. The message I always try to get out, is to take care
of you back. You only get one, and they usually don't get better.

I think
pain is horribly undermedicated and underaccomodated in this country.

Yep. Still, you are treated almost as a criminal (or addict), when you try
to get what can make life almost bearable.

I know that this thread is crossposted, but if anyone in
Rec.Aviation.Homebuilt objects to overweight, pain racked people
getting around airshows in a scooter, I would like to remind them that
our own Tony Pucillo used one in his last year or two at Sun n Fun.

(blue skies, Tony)

Yep, I never met him, but wish I did. I hope EVERYONE will take an example,
and try not to let a physical ailment stand in the way of what you love.
I'll try to make that vow, myself.
--
Jim in NC

Old August 2nd 05, 02:08 PM
Darrel Toepfer

Morgans wrote:

I know that this thread is crossposted, but if anyone in
Rec.Aviation.Homebuilt objects to overweight, pain racked people
getting around airshows in a scooter, I would like to remind them that
our own Tony Pucillo used one in his last year or two at Sun n Fun.

(blue skies, Tony)

Yep, I never met him, but wish I did. I hope EVERYONE will take an example,
and try not to let a physical ailment stand in the way of what you love.
I'll try to make that vow, myself.

I think I've seen pictures of Zoom on one at Sun'N'fun...
Old August 2nd 05, 03:01 PM
Tom McQuinn

Not responding to any one post.........

There were times I wondered whether some of the scooter people were just
lazy but I just had to remind myself that I wouldn't be qualified to
judge the extent of their maladies anyway, and settle for being glad
that I didn't need one. I can't honestly say that we personally had a
close call with a scooter. But when the day comes that I can't walk
mile after mile, I hope that I have the option to use one to see my last
couple of Airventures. (And I hope that's 40 years from now.)

Some of the four wheeled Gator/golf cart/whatever vehicles were another
matter. Not that I qualify for special treatment, but my seven year old
is hearing impaired - requires extra vigilance when mixing with traffic.
Seems to me that seven years old = has the attention span of an Irish
Setter, but maybe that's just my kids. And having those damn things
zipping on and off of the roads at any and every point imaginable, while
expecting the mere pedestrians to part like Moses was coming through,
startled me a few times. I'm half afraid that one of us will get run
over and half afraid that I'll punch somebody. I saw plenty of safe and
courteous drivers but there were way too many fools. I can't help but
wonder if a lot of the vendors wouldn't think twice about running down
the pedestrians if every vendor cart was required to have a large logo
identifying the company operating it. Maybe not, 'How's my driving? -
call 1 800 xxx xxxx' hasn't exactly been a roaring success.

As for the various comments about the dairy industry and the fast food
industry, does anyone really think they are to blame for the menu
choices? Honestly?? You don't think that the food service industry
would step up if they could make a buck selling healthy food? Sorry,
but I think they would replace every bacon cheeseburger in America with
tofu salads or heroin milkshakes (if heroin was legal) in about 30 days
if that's what people were spending their cash for. Their job is to
produce goods and services at a profit and our job is to reward them for
doing it to our liking. We as a country could fix this if we wanted to.

This is my third year in a row at Osh and the second time I've had a
department store tent fail me. Never again. My 'C' brand tent with its
'guarantee' to keep me dry is going to a yard sale and I don't care if
it sells for 75 cents. It isn't worth the closet space it would
otherwise take up. I am very interested in any brands of tent that
anyone could recommend. Because if I do this again I intend to stay dry
somehow. I did notice that some of the manufacturers make rain flys
that will keep water out as long as the tent is standing. I gotta get
me one of those!

All in all that was a fantastic show and it's amazing that they can put
something like that together with volunteer labor. Thanks to each and
every one of you sunburned people who made it happen.

Tom McQuinn

Old August 2nd 05, 03:14 PM
Dave

You want to see really sad pain?

Watch "The Boy Whos Skin Fell Off".

Now there is a man who has lived with pain all his life. He made this
documentary during the last 8 months of his life to show people what its
like to live with his condition.

I have some pretty serious back problems, but I just deal with it, and feel
lucky I'm not him.

Dave

"Morgans" wrote in message

"PPT33R" wrote

The one thing that really ****ed me off this year (and I will proceed
to rant about) was the invasion of the 'obese scooter people'. I don't
ever remember getting run down by OSP in the past at OSH. There is now
a large 'scooter rental' right inside the gates.

Your rant is off base. First, the rental has has been there the 6 years I
have been. Second, what do you have against overweight people?

Granted, some people
actually NEED these things to get around, but I didn't see any,

You didn't look hard enough.

and I
doubt they would hold an airman's certificate.

The show is not just for certificated people. All who enjoy aviation are
invited.

They were ALL George
Costanza wannabes (recall the Seinfeld episode with the 'great scooter
chase'), and I don't think ANY were paid EAA Members.

Again you are wrong. I myself know of an 80 plus year old EAA'er that
injured himself WATER SKIING, and he didn't appear to be that old, or be
in
need of a scooter.

So, EAA won't let
me ride my bicycle from the far end of the North 40 to the Forum
Pavillions,

Nope. Lord of Lord, can you imagine what would happen if just one bike
from
each plane on the north 40 was let loose on the grounds? -shudder-

but OSP can run people down in the exhibit hangars and go
wherever the hell they want?

If you have a problem with the actions of "a" scooter rider, then
"educate"
that one person, and stop blaming the whole subset of scooter riders.

You can ride your bike or scooter to the gate where the North 40 joins the
grounds, and walk from there, just like "everyone else" on foot.

It makes NO sense to me,

See above.

I am more afraid
of the 300lb'er not looking where they are driving their scooter.

Come now, are you a man or a mouse?

I made a comment to EAA about this, it really bothered me. If you have a
note from your doctor, OK, but just being lazy ****es me off.

I one year soon, will be unable to see what I want to see, without a
scooter
(bad back; two surgeries with no improvement), but do not qualify for a
doctor's note. There is a difference to be made about the ability to get
around, and the ability to get all of the way around OSH.

If the
invasion of the OSP continues, it will eventually be enough to dissuade
me from attending in the future...

Far be it from me to dissuade anyone from attending OSH, but if you think
you are so above everyone else that is not allowed to ride bikes, and are
so
afraid of a few scooters, ...
don't let the screen door hit you on the way out.
--
Jim in NC

Old August 2nd 05, 03:45 PM
W P Dixon

It's really strange that most people I talk to that easily could get
handicapped parking and such really want no part of it, myself included. I
do see a ton of obese people that use them and the little electric carts in
WalMart and you just have to wonder if they would walk alittle more maybe
they would not be in that situation. Most people, not all ,mind you are
obese because they do not know when to put the fork down and I do not see
how that is considered a handicap.
I won't get a handicap parking sticker because I figure there is someone
out there that may need that closer spot more than I do, if I hobble along
with a cane from time to time so be it. No big deal, and no pain no gain! I
don't have anything against overweight people but it gets my goat to see one
get a parking spot at the front of a store when a family is trying to get
their child out of a van with MS or something and trying to unload a
wheelchair and the fat person "thinks" they are handicapped and are required
to park close because of laziness.

Patrick
student SPL
aircraft structural mech

Old August 2nd 05, 03:48 PM
Dave Butler

Tom McQuinn wrote:

This is my third year in a row at Osh and the second time I've had a
department store tent fail me. Never again. My 'C' brand tent with its
'guarantee' to keep me dry is going to a yard sale and I don't care if
it sells for 75 cents. It isn't worth the closet space it would
otherwise take up. I am very interested in any brands of tent that
anyone could recommend. Because if I do this again I intend to stay dry
somehow. I did notice that some of the manufacturers make rain flys
that will keep water out as long as the tent is standing. I gotta get
me one of those!

Did you use seam-sealer on the department store tent before you used it?

I've had a couple of bad experiences with thunderstorms camping at Oshkosh, and
finally got this tent for this year:

http://www.arequip.com/Products/Blac...Lighthouse.htm

Caution: Black Diamond calls this a 2-person tent, but I wouldn't recommend it
for more than one person, even if the 2 people are very good friends.

I went to sleep with the lightning flashing and thunder crashing on Monday
night. There were (maybe) 10 drops of water inside the tent. I had spent half a
day with the tube of seam-sealer before leaving home, time well spent.

You can see it set up on the North 40 he

http://makeashorterlink.com/?B3B15378B

Dave
Old August 2nd 05, 04:08 PM
RST Engineering

Are you kidding? I'll bet upwards of $5mil was charged at Oshkosh last
week.

{;-)

Jim

Bring it on! There is parking, scooters are allowed, and charging will be
tricky, but I'm sure, doable.
--
Jim in NC

Old August 2nd 05, 04:27 PM
Jim Burns

I saw it. He was a pretty remarkable guy. Very courageous. Very humbleing
to watch.
Jim

Old August 2nd 05, 05:23 PM
John T

Rule number one with any tent, cheap or quality, is to go over it with
seam sealer before actual use!

John

Old August 2nd 05, 05:33 PM
john smith

After seeing others experience with tents at AirVenture '05, I am going
to write an article to post prior to AirVenture '06 about what to look
for in a tent that will keep you dry and stay where you place it.

However, since you are asking now, here are a few quick suggestions so
you may seek and purchase a tent at a discount this Fall when stores are
discounting this Summer's merchandise.

o Three season tent with full rain fly. Single wall tents are lighter,
but do not breath because they are coated to seal out the water. As I
have told others, in 25 years the only weather I have not yet seen at
OSH is snow.

o Look for a tent that has a full rain fly, not those little umbrella
sun shade things that some tents have. You want a rain fly that goes
almost all the way to the ground, completely covering the inner tent.
You want a fly that is factory seam sealed.

o Bathtub floor. The waterproof tent bottom that comes up the sides of
the tent six to eight inches.

o Ground cloth. I use TYVEK, the vapor barrior material that is wrapped
around new house construction. Find a scrap in the dumpster or ask the
construction crew to save you a piece. (Check with a local Boy Scout
troop to see if they have a roll that they will sell you a piece from.)
Cut it to the shape of your tent's footprint so it is two-inches from
the edge all around. If it is the same dimension or larger than your
tent's footprint, water draining off the fly can be caught on top of the
ground cloth and flow under your tent. Although the bathtub is
waterproof, water will still seep through microscopic holes and make the
inside of your tent wet.

How many people will be sleeping in the tent?

Do you need/want a stand-up size or a crawl-into size?

Metal poles vice fiberglass poles? I prefer metal, but the most
important feature of the tent will be multiple lash points for guying.
If you have sufficient guys/tie-down points, it will withstand very
strong wind.

Domes/A-frame/rectangular shape. Think airflow. How will the surface of
the tent deflect the wind and rain? Domes generally allow the greatest
interior volume and best wind/rain shedding.

Visit a backpacking store or good sporting goods store and try out the
different models. Read BACKPACKER magazine. Google "backpacking+gear
reviews" for websites and read what users have to say.

Onlines websites:
www.campmor.com
www.rei.com
www.northernmountain.com
www.sierratradingpost.com
(these are the ones I commonly check for sales)
there are many others, including the manufacturers websites.

Remember, this is a brief overview, there is lots to discuss.