Any traffic please advise

Old August 25th 06, 06:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
TxSrv

Default Any traffic please advise

Bela P. Havasreti wrote:

The next thing the Feds need to make verboten is folks who
fire up and broadcast over CTAF that they're going to taxi
from their parking spot over to the active runway (what possible
purpose could that information / transmission serve?).

Except it's in Advisory Circular 90-42F (re nontowered field
communications) as a suggested announcement.

Fred F.
Old August 25th 06, 06:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Burns[_1_]

"Looking, no joy" is what I usually say. A long time ago I was chastised by
a controller for just saying "looking", he specifically wanted to know if I
saw the aircraft.
Jim

Old August 25th 06, 06:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Steven P. McNicoll[_1_]

"Jim Burns" wrote in message

"Looking, no joy" is what I usually say. A long time ago I was chastised
by
a controller for just saying "looking", he specifically wanted to know if
saw the aircraft.

It's redundant. You wouldn't say "looking" if you'd spotted the traffic,
would you?

Old August 25th 06, 06:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
B A R R Y[_1_]

Jim Burns wrote:
"Looking, no joy" is what I usually say. A long time ago I was chastised by
a controller for just saying "looking", he specifically wanted to know if I
saw the aircraft.
Jim

I say "5-8-Sierra looking" (simply to ack the controller's message), if
I don't already have the traffic. Once I have the traffic, or if I
already had it, I'll announce something like "5-8-Sierra has the Cessna
in sight" If I don't see it in a decent amount of time (relative to the
distance and vector specifics contained in the alert), I'll follow up
with "5-8-Sierra, negative contact".

The FAA controllers I most often fly with (NY & BOS Centers, BDL, PVD, &
Cape app/dep) seem to be fine with it all. They don't seem to like an
instant "negative contact", and they really hate no response or a slow
response. The contract towers in delta space compare to the FAA folks.
Old August 25th 06, 07:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jose[_1_]

When I'm in the air approaching an
airport, I'm not listening for folks on the ground

Maybe you should be. They could be in the air by the time you arrive.
It's also a hint as to the runway in use.

Jose
--
The monkey turns the crank and thinks he's making the music.
Old August 25th 06, 07:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"Jim Burns" wrote:
A long time ago I was chastised by a controller for just
saying "looking", he specifically wanted to know if I
saw the aircraft.

If you saw the traffic you would have said "traffic in sight", not
"looking", and if you didn't reply at all, he wouldn't have known if you
even heard his traffic alert. So far, I haven't read any sensible
argument here for discontinuing the use of "looking" -- it's still the
shortest, most concise way to say "I heard you but I don't see it yet".
The controllers here seem to appreciate it and haveno problem with it.
Old August 25th 06, 07:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bela P. Havasreti

On Fri, 25 Aug 2006 13:31:31 -0400, TxSrv wrote:

Bela P. Havasreti wrote:

The next thing the Feds need to make verboten is folks who
fire up and broadcast over CTAF that they're going to taxi
from their parking spot over to the active runway (what possible
purpose could that information / transmission serve?).

Except it's in Advisory Circular 90-42F (re nontowered field
communications) as a suggested announcement.

Fred F.

Well, then the Feds neet to fix that!

Bela P. Havasreti
Old August 25th 06, 07:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bela P. Havasreti

On 25 Aug 2006 10:05:30 -0700, "Robert M. Gary"
wrote:

Bela P. Havasreti wrote:
On Fri, 25 Aug 2006 15:05:57 GMT, Kris Kortokrax
The next thing the Feds need to make verboten is folks who
fire up and broadcast over CTAF that they're going to taxi
from their parking spot over to the active runway (what possible
purpose could that information / transmission serve?).

At some airports failing to call up before taxiing out of parking
results in two airplane facing nose to nose with engines running and
one having to shut down and push back. Not all airports have good
visibility and wide taxiways. Its happened at my home field quiet
often. Pilots have to coordinate the use of the taxiway before pulling
out around a blind hill.

-Robert

Granted (makes sense). FWIW, the only places I've heard it done are
huge, ex-WW2 air bases.....

Bela P. Havasreti

Old August 25th 06, 07:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Newps

They don't seem to like an
instant "negative contact", and they really hate no response or a slow
response.

That's a pretty fine line, don'tcha think?