ATP wants a single engine add on

Old September 19th 06, 01:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
B A R R Y[_1_]

Default ATP wants a single engine add on

Emily wrote:

You can opt out of the database. I didn't realize people didn't know that.

I didn't.

Thanks!

Old September 19th 06, 03:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Kris Kortokrax

Emily wrote:
B A R R Y wrote:
Emily wrote:
Jim Macklin wrote:
The CLT multi-commercial should have been surrendered, do they both
have the same number and name. Have you checked on the FAA web site
for his official ratings?

He's opted out (or he's lying about being a pilot, but I've seen him
walk off a commercial jet in uniform and with ID, so I'm guessing
he's opted out).

Maybe he's a flight attendant? Remember "The Simpsons"? G

FWIW, certificates are public information and very easy to check via
the FAA web site.

You can opt out of the database. I didn't realize people didn't know that.

You can opt out of having your address displayed.
You cannot opt out of the database.
Plug his name into the FAA's database and you should be able to see his
certificates and ratings.

Kris
Old September 19th 06, 05:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Sylvain

Kris Kortokrax wrote:

You can opt out of having your address displayed.
You cannot opt out of the database.

actually you can; when I opted out, they initially just removed
my address, now they removed the record altogether, and I am
pretty sure I still have a certificate :-)

Plug his name into the FAA's database and you should be able to see his
certificates and ratings.

you might or you might not; when I plug my own name into the thing,
nothing shows anymore,

--Sylvain
Old September 19th 06, 05:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bob Gardner

My SMEL ATP certificate says "Commercial privileges - single engine sea."
You don't get to keep the old certificate because any ratings are carried
forward onto the new one. I had to give mine up when I took my initial
(multi) ATP ride.

Bob Gardner

"Sylvain" wrote in message
t...
Emily wrote:

I'm guessing that when he got his ATP, he should have surrendered his
commercial but didn't for some reason.

one pretty good reason not to surrender a certificate when you upgrade
it, is if said certificate has a rating which you do not want to give
up and which is not covered by the new certificate. Although this is not
exactly germane to this discussion, I did keep my old private certificate
(obtained under 61.75 (*)) even though I now have a commercial, because
said private certificate still has my glider rating on it; could it
be a similar situation?

--Sylvain

(*) before someone jumps all over me quoting 61.75(b)(3), whereby
you cannot get a certificate under 61.75 if you already hold a US pilot
certificate, nothing prevents you from keeping it after you get
a US certificate. But I digress :-)

Old September 19th 06, 05:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bob Gardner

I trained an Alaska Airlines pilot for his ATP. He was hired back when a
commercial ticket and 300 hours would get you into the right seat. He had
never started an injected engine in his life.

Bob Gardner

"Robert M. Gary" wrote in message
ups.com...
BTW: I would also recommend that you avoid getting into a battle of
"who's the best pilot". This can happen when you are training pilots
with lots of experience. Sometimes you just need to address it head on.
You may say something along the lines of "I know that you are a very
experienced pilot. Let's go out and review the basic items in our
syllabus. Maybe you'll learn something new, but worse case you'll get
my sign off for the checkride". Usually, if something goes terribly
wrong (like they can't land the Cessna), they'll understand something
is wrong and not put up a fight when you ask them for a few more hours
before the sign off. Most important, don't enter with the attitude of
"I know more than that guy", it doesn't help either way and you may
trigger a negative defense mechanism in him.

-Robert

Old September 19th 06, 06:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Kris Kortokrax

Sylvain wrote:
Kris Kortokrax wrote:

You can opt out of having your address displayed.
You cannot opt out of the database.

actually you can; when I opted out, they initially just removed
my address, now they removed the record altogether, and I am
pretty sure I still have a certificate :-)

Plug his name into the FAA's database and you should be able to see his
certificates and ratings.

you might or you might not; when I plug my own name into the thing,
nothing shows anymore,

--Sylvain

From the FAA Airmen Registry website:

"The Aviation Investment and Reform Act for the 21st Century, and
other statutory requirements require us to make airmen certificate
information available to the public. Airmen meeting the active
criteria receive notice of these requirements and can withhold their
address information from release.

If your address appears in this database and you would like to remove
it, or if it does not appear and you would like to add it, you may
write or email us your preference. You may provide us with your
preference anytime."

Are you using the FAA's database at registry.faa.gov?

Kris
Old September 20th 06, 02:39 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Emily[_1_]

B A R R Y wrote:
Emily wrote:

You can opt out of the database. I didn't realize people didn't know
that.

I didn't.

Thanks!

I don't know how you do it, but there's some way!
Old September 20th 06, 02:40 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Emily[_1_]

Kris Kortokrax wrote:
Emily wrote:
B A R R Y wrote:
Emily wrote:
Jim Macklin wrote:
The CLT multi-commercial should have been surrendered, do they both
have the same number and name. Have you checked on the FAA web
site for his official ratings?

He's opted out (or he's lying about being a pilot, but I've seen him
walk off a commercial jet in uniform and with ID, so I'm guessing
he's opted out).

Maybe he's a flight attendant? Remember "The Simpsons"? G

FWIW, certificates are public information and very easy to check via
the FAA web site.

You can opt out of the database. I didn't realize people didn't know
that.

You can opt out of having your address displayed.
You cannot opt out of the database.
Plug his name into the FAA's database and you should be able to see his
certificates and ratings.

Kris

Wrong. You can opt to have nothing displayed.
Old September 20th 06, 03:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Kris Kortokrax

Emily wrote:
Kris Kortokrax wrote:
Emily wrote:

You can opt out of the database. I didn't realize people didn't know
that.

You can opt out of having your address displayed.
You cannot opt out of the database.
Plug his name into the FAA's database and you should be able to see
his certificates and ratings.

Kris

Wrong. You can opt to have nothing displayed.

Interesting. In spite of the statement on the FAA's registry website
stating that they are required to make certificate information available
to the public, and Sylvain's post stating that although he thought he
had his certificate information removed, that it is still there, you
insist that one can opt to have nothing displayed.

There are others on rec.aviation.pilot who have expressed a desire to
have their certificate and medical info removed from the database.
Perhaps you could post the procedure for doing so and help them out.

Kris
Old September 21st 06, 03:34 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Emily[_1_]

Kris Kortokrax wrote:
Emily wrote:
Kris Kortokrax wrote:
Emily wrote:

[...]

I've never done it, but if you go to the airman certification page, it
gives instructions. I've known quite a few people who have done this.