50mm Tailer Balls Available in US $8.95

Old April 28th 14, 07:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JohnDeRosa

Default 50mm Tailer Balls Available in US $8.95

I stumbled upon this source for the difficult to find (in the US) 50mm trailer ball. Better yet the ball stud is 3/4", and not metric, so it is bound to fit your ball mount. No more asking your friendly airline pilot to buy some in Germany and having to evade customs on the way back. ;-)

http://www.etrailer.com/dept-pg-Ball...eter_Ball.aspx

Price: $8.95

Product Specs
50-mm Diameter Ball
1-1/2 Inch Shank Length
3/4 Inch Diameter Shank
3500 lbs GTW
Chrome
Old April 28th 14, 08:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

a 2 inch ball is within 2 mm of spec....
Old April 28th 14, 08:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
SoaringXCellence

On Monday, April 28, 2014 12:12:29 PM UTC-7, wrote:
a 2 inch ball is within 2 mm of spec....

But can be surprisingly "sloppy" on some trailers.
Old April 28th 14, 09:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Monday, April 28, 2014 3:12:29 PM UTC-4, wrote:
a 2 inch ball is within 2 mm of spec....

The problem is which side of the spec it is on. It's really easy to get
the hitch stuck on the ball trying this. A 1-7/8" ball doesn't get stuck
and otherwise works OK (it's about 2.5mm too small). I've used one to
tow my trailer successfully. (The trailer came with a 50mm ball, but the
shank was 1" and my SUV had a Class II receiver so it could only take 3/4"
shank balls.)

This looks like a really great deal.

Matt
Old April 28th 14, 10:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
son_of_flubber

I wonder what is the actual size of this 50 mm ball? Tolerance is not stated.

I put the calipers on my 2" U-Haul brand ball and it measures 50.5 to 50.35 mm. Some of the chrome is scraped off after towing a Polish trailer for 2000 miles or so.

Old April 28th 14, 10:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
son_of_flubber

On Monday, April 28, 2014 3:46:51 PM UTC-4, SoaringXCellence wrote:

But (a 2" ball) can be surprisingly "sloppy" on some trailers.

2" = 50.8 mm ... So compared to a true 50 mm ball, why would a 2" ball be more sloppy on a 50 mm hitch?

Old April 28th 14, 11:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony V

On 4/28/2014 3:46 PM, SoaringXCellence wrote:
On Monday, April 28, 2014 12:12:29 PM UTC-7, wrote:
a 2 inch ball is within 2 mm of spec....

But can be surprisingly "sloppy" on some trailers.

John Murray at Eastern Sailplane has had 50mm balls for a long time but
not at this price. I've seen one (Blanik enclosed) trailer That would
not fit on a 2 inch ball. It was 50mm or nothing. If your trailer is
designed for 50mm, maybe that's what you should have.

Tony "6N"

Old April 29th 14, 03:32 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

My LAK T5 trailer will not accept a 2" ball and a 1 7/8' ball is sloppy and
clunks a lot on the road. I have a friend at Moriarty who has a machine
shop and he machined my 2" ball down to 50 mm - *by hand*! It was a lot of
work, but he got it right and it tows perfectly. Still, I think I'm gonna
get me one of those $8.95 balls.

Old May 2nd 14, 11:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JohnDeRosa

On Monday, April 28, 2014 4:07:48 PM UTC-5, son_of_flubber wrote:
I wonder what is the actual size of this 50 mm ball? Tolerance is not stated.
I put the calipers on my 2" U-Haul brand ball and it measures 50.5 to 50.35 mm. Some of the chrome is scraped off after towing a Polish trailer for 2000 miles or so.

I will measure the eTrailer 50mm ball when it comes in and report back.