Denver Terminal Area Chart Question - BVR vor/dme

Old February 3rd 04, 03:43 PM
Robert Easton

Default Denver Terminal Area Chart Question - BVR vor/dme

Does anybody know why on the Denver Terminal Area Chart, the Byers (BVR
113.5) vor/dme facility is charted without the compass ring that are on most
vortacs? It's the only one I've seen charted like this. Byers is located
33NM on the 090 radial of DVV (the Denver International Vortac).

Thanks, Robert

Old February 3rd 04, 04:24 PM
Ron Natalie

"Robert Easton" wrote in message ...
Does anybody know why on the Denver Terminal Area Chart, the Byers (BVR
113.5) vor/dme facility is charted without the compass ring that are on most
vortacs? It's the only one I've seen charted like this. Byers is located
33NM on the 090 radial of DVV (the Denver International Vortac).

The presence or absence of the compass rose on a VOR has no meaning.
It is purely at the discretion of the cartographer to omit it when he feels it
would make the chart too cluttered.

Old February 3rd 04, 04:26 PM
Kevin Chandler

We have the same thing on the Cincinnati section for Wright Patterson AFB.
This is only done to relieve some conjestion on the chart.

Old February 3rd 04, 05:46 PM
Geoffrey Barnes

The presence or absence of the compass rose on a VOR has no meaning.
It is purely at the discretion of the cartographer to omit it when he

feels it
would make the chart too cluttered.

All right, this makes sense to me. But as someone who is still a student, I
have to ask a question here. Let's say that I'm planning to fly along a
specific VOR radial, and that this radial is not part of an airway. What I
normally do is draw a line on the chart, and then read the radial on this
compass rose. But without the compass rose, how am I supposed to determine
the radial that I need to follow? Most of the VORs in this area have not
been adjusted to keep pace with magnetic variation, and are therefore a few
degrees off from both both the true course and the magnetic course.

I know that I can look up each VORs magnetic variation setting on
airnav.com, but what if that wasn't available?

Old February 3rd 04, 05:51 PM
Michael 182

There might be a better way, but I'd just approximate it by looking at the
VOR's nearby. You won't be more than a few degrees off.

Michael

ink.net...

Old February 3rd 04, 05:54 PM
Steven P. McNicoll

"Geoffrey Barnes" wrote in message
ink.net...

All right, this makes sense to me. But as someone who is still a student,

have to ask a question here. Let's say that I'm planning to fly along a
specific VOR radial, and that this radial is not part of an airway. What

normally do is draw a line on the chart, and then read the radial on this
compass rose. But without the compass rose, how am I supposed to

determine
the radial that I need to follow? Most of the VORs in this area have not
been adjusted to keep pace with magnetic variation, and are therefore a

few
degrees off from both both the true course and the magnetic course.

Any airways at all from this VOR? Use your protractor to measure the angle
between the radial defining the charted airway and the line you just drew.

Old February 3rd 04, 06:00 PM
G.R. Patterson III

Geoffrey Barnes wrote:

All right, this makes sense to me. But as someone who is still a student, I
have to ask a question here. Let's say that I'm planning to fly along a
specific VOR radial, and that this radial is not part of an airway. What I
normally do is draw a line on the chart, and then read the radial on this
compass rose. But without the compass rose, how am I supposed to determine
the radial that I need to follow?

Work out the magnetic course with your plotter and fly that radial. Use pilotage
to adjust your course if necessary. One or two degrees inaccuracy in the VOR isn't
enough to cause any real navigation problems. To put it in perspective, if you
blindly follow a radial and the VOR is 2 degrees off, you will be less than half
a mile off course at the end of 20 miles.

George Patterson
Love, n.: A form of temporary insanity afflicting the young. It is curable
either by marriage or by removal of the afflicted from the circumstances
under which he incurred the condition. It is sometimes fatal, but more
often to the physician than to the patient.
Old February 3rd 04, 06:30 PM
Ron Natalie

"Geoffrey Barnes" wrote in message ink.net...
course.

I know that I can look up each VORs magnetic variation setting on
airnav.com, but what if that wasn't available?

You're supposed to have sufficient reference material (like the AF/D) with
you during your preflight planning. Them's the rules.

Old February 3rd 04, 07:21 PM
Peter Duniho

"Steven P. McNicoll" wrote in message
ink.net...
Any airways at all from this VOR? Use your protractor to measure the

angle
between the radial defining the charted airway and the line you just drew.

Or even better, just drop the plotter on top of the existing airways and
line up the appropriate degree markings with the airways. Then just read
the magnetic course from the drawn course line underneath the plotter. No
need to measure any angles at all.

This will be better than applying the local variation, since VOR radials are
not kept 100% up-to-date with changes in variation. Using existing airway
headings will ensure that the drawn course matches the radio indication,
even if not the magnetic compass.

Pete

Old February 3rd 04, 08:00 PM
John Galban

"Robert Easton" wrote in message ...
Does anybody know why on the Denver Terminal Area Chart, the Byers (BVR
113.5) vor/dme facility is charted without the compass ring that are on most
vortacs? It's the only one I've seen charted like this. Byers is located
33NM on the 090 radial of DVV (the Denver International Vortac).

Compass rings are omitted to reduce clutter on the chart. In this
case, they probably didn't want to superimpose the ring over the big
intersection of Victor airways just to the south.

Here in the Phoenix area we have one without a ring (IWA).

John Galban=====N4BQ (PA28-180)