Passenger Comfort.....

Old July 26th 05, 02:07 AM
Gary Emerson

My two cents...

When I meet someone I ask if they have flown in a small aircraft before.
Next I ask them if they have any troubles with motion sickness (boats,
planes, etc.). I explain that while most people don't have any issues
with motionsickness, it can happen. Then go on to the usual briefing and
you should have some idea as to how suceptible they may be to getting
sick on the flight.

Once they are in the glider and strapped in I've always explained to
them that I want to make them as comfortable on THEIR flight as possible
and if they should happen to start feeling "off" that the best thing is
for them to TELL ME if they are not feeling well. If that happens, I'd
rather bring them back to the gliderport rather than have them get sick.
I then point out the ziplock and explain "just in case it comes on
suddenly".

During the flight it's important, based on their level of flying
experience, to be sure to tell them what's happening and it's not a good
idea to do any serious thermalling until you've found out if you've got
a trooper or not. A sudden turn, etc. if they are anxious is a good way
to make a benign situation bad. Anyone who's done a lot of rides
probably has a story of the person who showes up for a glider ride with
1000+ hours in power who "never gets sick" and a couple cored turns in a
thermal and they are sweating bullets.

With all that said, pay attention to how much they are talking and ask
them how they're doing, particularly after your first few gentle turns
thermalling.

If they start feeling poorly, level out, shallow turn toward the
gliderport, GENTLY ease out the spoilers, and take 'em home. If it
starts, then it is highly unlikely that they'll feel better so best plan
is to get them on the ground because no one is likely to ever return
after an intro ride if they actually get sick. They are your customer
and it's important to keep that in mind.

If they are a little green when you land, you can explain that with the
more exposure they get, typically the motion sickness will go away.

Gary
(8 years of rides, zero pukes)

Old July 26th 05, 02:19 AM
Vaughn

wrote in message
ups.com...
I'm a relatively new commercial pilot and have had several passengers
with NPE...near puke events! Some have been uncomfortable from the
moment we start the tow, others at altitude and others while
thermaling. I keep the chatter going, recommend steady breathing and
to look at the horizon. I make sure the air vent is open as well.

A little communication goes a long way. My first question is always "have
you ever been in a small plane before?" This opens a conversation that usually
can give you an idea of the experience they are looking for. Continue the
conversation a bit during the flight, they will tell you what they want if
properly prompted. Simple questions like "are these turns OK?" are absolutely
basic. With kids, I always explain that the glider banks through turns "just
like a bicycle". They understand that concept instantly and are prepared for
the sensation.

I have learned a lot about giving glider rides by simply hanging back and
listening to my passengers talk to their families & friends after a flight.
What do they talk about? Things that are everyday for you might be
life-defining moment for someone else; something as simple as steering the
glider around a cloud, or flying in formation with a bird.

I have had to make a few quick landings to get queasy passengers on
terra-firma, but only had one actually get sick in the glider. It turned out
that she was in the "family way" and had actually brought her own sick sack!

Vaughn

Old July 26th 05, 01:55 PM

Vaughn wrote: I have learned a lot about giving glider rides by simply
hanging back and
listening to my passengers talk to their families & friends after a
flight.
What do they talk about? Things that are everyday for you might be
life-defining moment for someone else; something as simple as steering
the
glider around a cloud, or flying in formation with a bird

Vaughn,
That's an excellent suggestion! I've been fortunate enough to have
given some rides to late 80's early 90's year old customers, and the
excitement from the family watching, and the passenger themselves has
been a real learning experience. I'll pay more attention to the
comments in the future.

Thanks again for all the replies, I definately picked up some
techniques that I'll try this weekend. I've been asking if they've
ever flown in a small plane or been in a sailboat....I didn't think
about comparing it to a bicycle ride.

Douglas

Old July 26th 05, 04:53 PM

Doug,

Alexander Technique. Used by actors and musicians. You will note that
most NPEs are preceded by some physical changes. The shoulder raise and
the head tilts back. This is a posture indicating stress. While it does
not cause the motion-based nausea, it contributes to the feeling of
discomfort. Placing a hand on the passenger's shoulder can help to
relax him. I'll also suggest that they nod "yes" to relieve the tension
in the back of the neck. This will typically reduce the tension in the
abdomen. (I have a very short canned speech to explain that sitting
semireclined causes some physical strain that can contribute to
airsicknesses, but there is an easy and effective remedy... positive
suggestion.)

I've found this a particularly effect means of managing reduced g
sensitivity. Not a cure by any means, but it helps to keep the body
from adding physical strain to the psychological. Other recommendations
are equally valid: look outside, let 'em fly, point out interesting
features...

(Actors and musicians use the Alexander Technique to cope with
performance anxiety-based body tension, which often leads to nausea and
vomiting.)

wrote:
I'm a relatively new commercial pilot and have had several passengers
with NPE...near puke events! Some have been uncomfortable from the
moment we start the tow, others at altitude and others while
thermaling. I keep the chatter going, recommend steady breathing and
to look at the horizon. I make sure the air vent is open as well.

Can anyone offer some tips to keep the passengers from losing it? I
want each one to have a great ride and first gliding experience. I
keep the manuevers gentle and frequently ask how they are doing.

It seems the ones who say they will be fine, and laugh at me when I
point out the airsick bag, have been the one's to get queasy.

Thanks in advance,

Douglas

Old July 27th 05, 05:21 PM
pbc76049

Hey guys.... You are all missing something.
Cockpit conditions are usually a little warm and
uncomfortable with less than the best ventilation.
Cooling off the passenger does wonders. Carry
a frozen towel in one of those thermal bags you keep
food cold in. If they start to feel/sound/seem
like they are having a tough time of it, give them the
towell to cool off with. Lowering the temp of somebodys head
will bring them back to life. The head radiates a LOT of heat
and cooling them off does wonders. Works for me...

Scott.

Old July 27th 05, 08:18 PM
bumper

I keep cool using a Misty Mate portable mister. I use distilled water, so
there's no concern about water getting on the canopy etc. I've also modified
it a bit by adding a flexible tube and clunk weight instead of the normal
stiff plastic pick-up tube inside. In any case, these things are available
at Costco, Wal-Mart etc. They have a built in pump to pressurize them with
air. The nozzle clips to parachute harness etc. Works especially well in
hot, dry climates.

bumper

Old August 1st 05, 06:51 PM
W.J. \(Bill\) Dean \(U.K.\).

One tip:

Carry a spare sunhat, if there is hot sun do not let the pupil fly
bare-headed.

If this does not work and the pupil is sick, if there is no sickbag tell
them to use the hat. Better than cleaning out the cockpit.

W.J. (Bill) Dean (U.K.).
Remove "ic" to reply.

wrote in message
ups.com...

I'm a relatively new commercial pilot and have had several passengers
with NPE...near puke events! Some have been uncomfortable from the
moment we start the tow, others at altitude and others while
thermaling. I keep the chatter going, recommend steady breathing and
to look at the horizon. I make sure the air vent is open as well.

Can anyone offer some tips to keep the passengers from losing it? I
want each one to have a great ride and first gliding experience. I
keep the manoeuvres gentle and frequently ask how they are doing.

Old August 9th 05, 02:39 PM
John in the air John in the air is offline
Junior Member

Location: UK - South Yorkshire
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by
Can anyone offer some tips to keep the passengers from losing it? Douglas
Douglas - in 40 years I've had only 4 throwup in x000 flights. I personally don't tell them where the sick bags are kept, if we've got any!

Perhaps a bit formal - but here goes - a preflight briefing with open questions keeps them involved and it enables you to assess their state both visually and in terms of their understanding of the potential of their flight (perhaps ability to comprehend gliding practice). I explain that if they want to handle the aircraft controls, then there are three introductory exercises (lookout, use of elevator to control attitude and speed, and ailerons to roll the aircraft) as they will be demonstrated and attempted. Use "your patter" on the ground with them strapped in the cockpilt. In the air you will demonstrate with patter, they will follow through on the controls and their attempt is all we are aiming to achieve. They will be impressed with what they can do!

It's useful to watch and talk through previous launches with them and any approaches and landings.

Cockpit checks, I get them to follow through with right hand on the stick to aquaint them with elevator sense fore and aft, aileron operation left and right and continue with "I have control""we won't move the stick that far in the air" I then complete the control checks for rudder and full & free.
Continue to involve them in the ongoing cockpit check ... instruments "mine are set, don't worry about yours"... "The green knob on the ... is the trim on the elevator, full & free movement, set for .... launch, and if the cable breaks, it's set for landing" ..... "The blue lever is the airbrakes, fully open L and R (get them to look L & R) flush and locked". Two seperate movements.

This complies with the CAA requirement to avoid the (anti) Hire & Reward sentiments of providing instruction.

Anticipate the launch proceding and give a verbal commentary.
Launches and landings are stressful for you and very much so for them - so talking during these phases of flight are essential.

In the air smooth movements (as airline pilots do normally), if possible plan your flying so that every turn an instructional turn - it's much easier for you, and it maximinses their handling and exercise time. Flight planning needs to aim to achieve this.

Shallow angles of bank in turns and get them to follow through even though they don't want to fly the aircraft. You will be able to sense if they are tense, leading or lagging on the controls.
This helps them compute what their behind senses and their eys see. So long as their brain can keep rationalising these two information flows they won't throw up.
Perhaps a little more speed will make the aircraft more stable for them.

Something I try to do is to be enthusiastic about how well they are attempting ...... . Words like "that's good!" Even when they're attempts are aweful but safe - keep the words positive - "Try that again! This time, concentrate on .....or try ....". Don't be afraid to re-demonstrate the excercise.

It's essential to keep up a conversation, (keep them occupied to prevent nerves developing) at a pace they can absorbe and comply with your requests to lookout, move controls and give you control on request.
Not answering questions (can you see ... and not looking means overload), complying with look R to see ... or the back of their neck trembling and a halo of steam above their head indicates they're working at peak performance and perhaps they are about to ...... At any rate they are past learning.
Mental fatigue will set in before phyical fatigue, but you will notice erratic control movements indicating perhaps mental fatigue is present, even after a few minutes. A minute or two off the controls and they may be ready for another try. Limit first flights to say 20 mins max.
Perhaps this is how you do it now and it's more a question of what they've just had to eat. however, I hope there's a few clues for you Douglas - best of luck!