Winter Flying

Old December 22nd 04, 10:00 PM
C Kingsbury

wrote in message
ups.com...
Since we are well into winter and snow and ice, how are you coping with
it? What are you doing to pick out XC checkpoints now that the ground
is covered with snow and everything looks different? How are you going
to handle taxiing on slick or ice covered taxiways and runways?

Winter before last I had a Warrior scheduled for a few hours the morning
after we got about 18" dumped on us. Stunningly clear day and air as still
as a pond. I got out to the field and ended up spending about 30 minutes
helping dig planes out and watching the FBO owner grimace constantly as a
pair of big front loaders danced in and out of the parking area loading snow
into dump trucks. The runway had been plowed but only down to a depth of
2-3" with an icy layer underneath. Nosewheel sterring and braking action was
crap, but if you had airspeed the rudder would turn your nose. Only problem
is that all that accomlished was to send you skidding (literally) sideways
down the runway. Having grown up driving pickups in upstate NY this was a
familiar sensation. Even the Citations were getting a bit of a sleigh ride
on rollout. Whatever direction you were headed when you touched down, that's
where you were going to be going.

-cwk.

Old December 22nd 04, 11:18 PM

I do have a question. First a little background.

I fly a PA28-180. It is hangered.

Sometimes we fly in the late afternoon and land just after dark at our
destination. We come back to the plane to find the wings covered with a
light coating of frost and we need to depart ASAP for different
reasons. This is not a good thing (the frost).

Is there some product that can be carried and sprayed on the wings and
tail surfaces to immediately de-ice the plane? I have been looking at
various catalogs and haven't seen anything.
Regards,
Steve.T
PP ASEL/Instrument

Old December 23rd 04, 04:35 AM
C Kingsbury

Hmm... just a light misting of frost on a Cherokee wing? Probably not worth
losing too much sleep over unless you really need every last drop of
performance. I understand it's much more important on wings that rely on
more laminar flow like a Cirrus or Mooney.

oups.com...

Old December 23rd 04, 06:47 AM
Mike Rapoport

It is interesting how we always think of AK as "put the compass on N and
keep going". Cold Bay is a 283 course from here in N Idaho.

Mike
MU-2

"PJ Hunt" wrote in message
Yep, everyone thinks it's dark 24 hours a day up here in the winter time.

I just keep letting most of em think that. It keeps the riff raff out.

PJ

Here's to the duck who swam a lake and never lost a feather,
May sometime another year, we all be back together.
JJW

"Corky Scott" wrote in message
On Tue, 21 Dec 2004 18:04:48 -0900, "PJ Hunt"
wrote:

In Anchorage it's getting dark
around 4:30.

Well hell, that's what's happening down here in Vermont!

Corky Scott

Old December 23rd 04, 07:26 AM
PJ Hunt

"Mike Rapoport" wrote in message
ink.net...
It is interesting how we always think of AK as "put the compass on N and
keep going". Cold Bay is a 283 course from here in N Idaho.

That's right Mike, and get this. I'm in Dutch Harbor which is about 180
miles S/W of Cold Bay on a heading of 238 degrees and 800 miles from
Anchorage, which is basically in central Alaska.

We're the furthest North and the furthest Western state with more coastline
that the entire lower 48 combined, about 3 times the size of Texas and if
Alaska was placed on top of the lower 48 it would just about cover from the
west coast to the east coast. We have something along the lines of 3
million lakes, and 7000 river systems and Mt McKinley (Denali) at 20,320
feet. Denali park alone is over 6 Million acres.

Some of the best fishing, hunting, climbing, kayaking, skiing, and flying to
be found anywhere in the world.

All this an only a little over 600,00 people in the entire state.

But I wouldn't recommend coming here, it really sucks.

Old December 23rd 04, 08:22 AM
Morgans

"PJ Hunt" wrote in message

Some of the best fishing, hunting, climbing, kayaking, skiing, and flying

be found anywhere in the world.

All this an only a little over 600,00 people in the entire state.

But I wouldn't recommend coming here, it really sucks.

PJ

My wife wants to go for a visit, some summer, but it would be like a death
penalty if she had to live there.

I think I would love living there, but couldn't say for sure, since I have
never been there. I do like different places, though. We spent a week in
the rain forests of Ecuador, and I loved it. We couldn't be more different
in a lot of ways, but they say that opposites attract!
--
Jim in NC

Old December 23rd 04, 04:40 PM
G.R. Patterson III

PJ Hunt wrote:

We're the furthest North and the furthest Western state ....

and the furthest *Eastern* State as well.

George Patterson
The desire for safety stands against every great and noble enterprise.
Old December 23rd 04, 05:16 PM
Newps

G.R. Patterson III wrote:

PJ Hunt wrote:

We're the furthest North and the furthest Western state ....

and the furthest *Eastern* State as well.

And Red too.
Old December 24th 04, 02:28 AM
Blueskies

wrote:

In Anchorage it's getting dark
around 4:30.

Well hell, that's what's happening down here in Vermont!

Corky Scott

I saw the Blue Angles in Anchorage last summer...

Indeed a beautiful state. Some of the biggest flowers I've ever seen in the park there...