Anyone got an FCC radio license

Old June 7th 04, 04:43 PM
Robert M. Gary

Martin Hotze wrote in message . ..
On Sat, 5 Jun 2004 06:31:51 -0700, Jerry Kurata wrote:

I have one, but have never been asked to see it either in the US, Canada, or
Mexico.

have an accident abroad, have your insurance company show you all
_required_ papers. don't have a radio operator permit. what _could_ happen
now?

Nothing.
Old June 7th 04, 05:52 PM
Darrell

!0 years??? I got mine about 50 years ago and still have it. It doesn't
show an expiration date.

--

B-58 Hustler History: http://members.cox.net/dschmidt1/
-

"G.R. Patterson III" wrote in message

Vigo wrote:

is a radio license in the states a one time fee, ...

It's good for ten years.

George Patterson
None of us is as dumb as all of us.

Old June 7th 04, 05:54 PM
Darrell

Aha! Thanks. That makes sense. Operator radio license is good for life.

--

B-58 Hustler History: http://members.cox.net/dschmidt1/
-

"Bill Denton" wrote in message
Let me jump in here before things get too confused. Some of this stuff may
have changed, but I believe it's still valid.

There are two types of licenses involved: a Station license, and an

Operator
license.

The Station license authorizes the use of the com transmitters in your
aircraft. But it only allows the radios themselves to be operated; it does
not license any person to operate them. The station license applies to
specific a transmitter(s).

The Operator license allows a person to operate various types of radios,
including aircraft com transmitters. (It also allows you to operate

taxicab
radios so you can scrape up enough money to fly!) But the Operator license
is not restricted to aircraft radios, and it is not restricted to any
specific radio.

Again this may have changed, but IIRC, the Station license is issued for a
fixed period, I think it's five years, but it does have to be renewed
periodically.

But the Operator license is valid for the lifetime of the license holder,
and does not have to be renewed.

Hope that helps...

Vigo wrote:

is a radio license in the states a one time fee, ...

It's good for ten years.

George Patterson
None of us is as dumb as all of us.

Hmmm, mine says, "...is valid under Rules and Regulations of the

Commission
and for the _lifetime_ of the holder..." (1971 FCC form 753-B)

Harry

Old June 8th 04, 06:42 AM
James R. Freeman

Yes since 1970 with all endorsements but now it is called General Radio.

"Jay Beckman" wrote in message
"Robert M. Gary" wrote in message
om...
Has anyone here bothered to get the FCC radio license? I've been going
down to Mexico for awhile and have never heard of anyone down there
ever being asked for one (the officials in Mexico don't even know what
it is).
Has anyone ever heard of anyone being asked for it in Canada?

I'm just wondering if I should throw out the $100 fee before flying up
to Canada. My gut tells me not to worry about it any more than I do in
Mexico.

-Robert

I have my 3rd class radio/telephone permit, which I had to get to be a DJ

on
the college radio station back in 1980...

Same thing?

Jay Beckman
Chandler, AZ
23.8 Hrs

PS...Anyone here have their FCC "First Phone?" (and I'm not talking about

Nokia...)

Radio License Question Tom Nery Owning 4 September 22nd 03 03:52 PM
Radio station license re-application? Mike Noel Owning 4 August 13th 03 09:40 PM
Radio license required? Marty Ross Instrument Flight Rules 10 July 17th 03 09:58 PM
Radio license required? Marty Ross Piloting 10 July 17th 03 09:58 PM
Ham Radio In The Airplane Cy Galley Owning 23 July 8th 03 03:30 AM