396 Magnet No More

Old August 19th 06, 04:33 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting
Jon Kraus

Default 396 Magnet No More

I guess Garmin really does listen to us.... Got our 396 yesterday...
What a sweet piece of equipment by the way... I thought I would remove
the magnets in the GX30 antenna so I wouldn't have to mess with the
Whiskey compass getting spatially disoriented... I found the
instructions for removing the magnets (excellent detailed instructions
by the way) and sat down to perform the surgery. Imaging my suprise (and
delight) when there were no magnets to remove!!

I knew that the 496 didn't contain the dreaded magnets but I thought all
the 396's did. Guess Garmin really did "feel our pain".

Jon Kraus
'79 Mooney 201
4443H @ UMP
Old August 19th 06, 12:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting
Doug Vetter

Jon Kraus wrote:
I guess Garmin really does listen to us.... Got our 396 yesterday...
What a sweet piece of equipment by the way... I thought I would remove
the magnets in the GX30 antenna so I wouldn't have to mess with the
Whiskey compass getting spatially disoriented... I found the
instructions for removing the magnets (excellent detailed instructions
by the way) and sat down to perform the surgery. Imaging my suprise (and
delight) when there were no magnets to remove!!

I knew that the 496 didn't contain the dreaded magnets but I thought all
the 396's did. Guess Garmin really did "feel our pain".

Jon Kraus
'79 Mooney 201
4443H @ UMP

How about scanning those instructions and posting them somewhere? My
396's antenna needs to be admitted for surgery as well...

-Doug

--------------------
Doug Vetter, ATP/CFI

http://www.dvatp.com
--------------------
Old August 19th 06, 01:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting
Jon Kraus

http://www.numa.aero/GXM30.html

That should be all you need. It will take you 10 minutes max to
accomplish... Good luck!!

Jon Kraus

Old August 19th 06, 09:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting
Doug Vetter

Jon Kraus wrote:
http://www.numa.aero/GXM30.html

That should be all you need. It will take you 10 minutes max to
accomplish... Good luck!!

Awesome Jon...thanks for that.

-Doug

--------------------
Doug Vetter, ATP/CFI

http://www.dvatp.com
--------------------
Old August 21st 06, 04:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting
Dave Butler[_1_]

Jon Kraus wrote:
http://www.numa.aero/GXM30.html

That should be all you need. It will take you 10 minutes max to
accomplish... Good luck!!

Thanks for the link, Jon. Mine will be going under the knife as soon as I get
home from work.

DGB
Old August 22nd 06, 01:07 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting
Jon Kraus

No problem Dave.... Make sure the "patient" is completely under before
plunging the knife in... ;-)

Old August 22nd 06, 01:33 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting
vincent p. norris

A member of our flying club sent this to me:

I looked into this when we bought the new GPS 396. While we can
remove the magnet from the base of the XM weather antenna, it will
void the warranty, which didn't seem like a good idea at the time.
Instead I made a steel plate that attaches to the dash by Velcro on
which to put the antenna. The steel works as a flux keeper and
contains the magnetic field enough that it has virtually no effect on
the compass. If you move the XM antenna and the steel plate together
from their current location to farther away from the compass you'll
see that the effect is almost, if not completely, imperceptible.

vince norris