Kerry is a pilot?

Old January 25th 04, 04:44 PM
Toks Desalu

Default Kerry is a pilot?

I was watching MSNBC recently and learned that John Kerry, a democrat, is a
certified pilot, I saw a quick episode of him flying a plane in left seat.
There is no way to recognize what kind of plane, but it is definitely a low
wing. Just wanted to share what I saw.

Toks Desalu

Old January 25th 04, 04:54 PM
Roger Long

Yup.

Let's put someone in the White House who can talk sense to the Secret
Service and homeland security wackos about general aviation.

Pilots Database Search Result
----
Name : KERRY, JOHN FORBES
Pilot's Address : 19 LOUISBURG SQ
BOSTON, MA, 02108-1202
FAA Region : New England
Date of Medical : Dec, 2003
Class of Medical : 2
Expiration : Dec, 2004
Pilot Certificates : Commercial Pilot
Airplane Single Engine Land
Airplane Single Engine Sea
Airplane Multiengine Land
Instrument Airplane
Glider Aero Tow (Private Pilot)

--
Roger Long

Old January 28th 04, 07:37 PM
C J Campbell

"Roger Long" om wrote in
message ...
| Yup.
|
| Let's put someone in the White House who can talk sense to the Secret
| Service and homeland security wackos about general aviation.

Unfortunately, Mr. Kerry has not shown any tendency to talk sense about
general aviation.

Look, I do not like the Patriot Act, the TFRs, the busybodies who report
pilots to the FBI, Homeland Security, color-coded security levels, or
anything else about our current security stance. I think these things should
be opposed vociferously. Not a single one of the Democratic candidates has
done this. If they have said anything at all, it is that the current
administration's measures are not severe enough. They mumble on about how
the war in Iraq is diverting resources from "fighting terror," meaning more
restrictions at home.

But it helps to keep things in perspective. Even with all these
restrictions, we have a lot more freedom to fly and a lot less government
intrusion than we did during WW II and the years after. The FBI in those
days did not even have to get a court order for a wiretap; they just tapped
the phones of anyone they wanted. No one read criminals their rights; they
instead were taken into back rooms and confessions were beaten out of them.
Even suspected spies (terrorists and saboteurs) have more rights today than
they used to -- even those at Guantanamo. Heck, we don't even shoot
deserters any more.

We are only required to file flight plans before we fly in a couple of
areas. It used to be that a flight plan was mandatory and that much general
aviation was not allowed. For years there was an ADIZ above 10,000 feet that
covered the entire contiguous United States. Thousands of GA airplanes
disappeared in WW II scrap drives. Even if you somehow got permission to
fly, you probably couldn't get fuel. You also could not get tires or rubber
hoses or many other parts needed for maintaining your airplane. We haven't
rounded up all the Moslems and Arabs and put them in internment camps, as we
did the Japanese and threatened to do to Germans and Italians.

When you get right down to it, and I hate to say it, President Bush has not
been nearly as despotic as Franklin Roosevelt was. And yet, his enemies
continually compare him to Adolph Hitler. If Bush was really like Adolph
Hitler, all pilots would be drafted into the Civil Air Patrol and we would
fly 24/7 airspace patrol. The borders would be sealed. The Moslem and Arab
communities would be interned and systematically enslaved and gassed. There
would be no Democratic party. The current Democratic candidates would have
disappeared into the "night and fog" (to quote Hitler) years ago. Movement
from one place to another would be severely restricted. Checkpoints at every
major intersection would be established to check your travel papers.
Everybody would have been LoJacked a long time ago.

And if you think TSA is ridiculous now, imagine if Hitler ran it! "Please
fill out these forms stating your name, race, religion, sexual orientation,
country of origin of your ancestors, height, weight, age, eye color, hair
color, parents' names, race and religion, your current address, reason for
travel, how long you will be gone, your political party or affiliations,
your occupation, your bank account numbers, list of all newspapers,
magazines, and other publications you subscribe to, list of all television
shows you have watched in the last five years, health history (include
copies of all medical records), property you own, a list of all tenants and
guests, etc." "Now, if you will just step into this booth, we will check
your DNA for Moslem or Arab markers. Be sure to leave a urine sample so we
can check you for drugs, explosives, and genetic diseases. You may remove
your clothes for the body cavity search over there. Just get in line with
the rest of the naked people. Your clothes will be burned and you will be
issued your flight jumpsuit as soon as we have analyzed the X-rays. In the
meantime we will scan your computer for encrypted files, pornography, state
secrets and subversive information." "Have you been circumcised? The
in-flight meal will consist of roast pork. You are required to eat it. You
may board as soon as you have stomped on this copy of the Koran."

Does all of that mean that I think the current restrictions are justified?
Heck, no! Nor does it mean that I think that Hitler type restrictions would
not be imposed if politicians of either party thought they could get away
with it. I just want to point out that things could be and have been a lot
worse, and that political affiliation has nothing to do with how nonsensical
these restrictions get.

Old January 25th 04, 07:02 PM
Jim Fisher

"Toks Desalu" wrote in message
There is no way to recognize what kind of plane, but it is definitely a

low
wing.

Well, there's at least one redeeming quality. However, I think he's
probably a highwinger in drag. I just can't imagine him in the Whitehouse
at this moment in history any more than I could imagine Algore there.

--
Jim Fisher

Old January 25th 04, 08:50 PM
Pilot Bob

"Jim Fisher" wrote in message
.. .
"Toks Desalu" wrote in message
There is no way to recognize what kind of plane, but it is definitely a

low
wing.

Well, there's at least one redeeming quality. However, I think he's
probably a highwinger in drag. I just can't imagine him in the

Whitehouse
at this moment in history any more than I could imagine Algore there.

That's the problem we have these days. Everyone knows Bush was AWOL during
his National Guard days, and then he goes on to to wear a flight suit and
some people think he is a great leader. Today Ed Gillespie was just stunned
that anyone would say that about Bush.

But, it is the truth. Everyone knows it too.

Old January 25th 04, 09:53 PM
Jim Fisher

"Pilot Bob" wrote in message
That's the problem we have these days. Everyone knows Bush was AWOL during
his National Guard days,

Not everyone. Not my a long shot. While he did seem to shirk some
responsibilities, the record is not quite clear on exactly what happened.
However, he *was* a youngun. I might have done a stupid thing or twenty in
my younger years, too.

http://www.straightdope.com/columns/030411.html seems to be a fairly decent
accout of what actually happened but leave much to interpretation.

and then he goes on to to wear a flight suit and
some people think he is a great leader.

'Cause he is . . . But history will have to be the final judge to that, I
reckon.

--
Jim Fisher

Old January 25th 04, 10:00 PM
Tarver Engineering

"Jim Fisher" wrote in message
.. .
"Pilot Bob" wrote in message
That's the problem we have these days. Everyone knows Bush was AWOL

during
his National Guard days,

Not everyone. Not my a long shot. While he did seem to shirk some
responsibilities, the record is not quite clear on exactly what happened.
However, he *was* a youngun. I might have done a stupid thing or twenty

in
my younger years, too.

It is impossible to be AWOL from the National Guard, as drill attendance was
optional.

http://www.straightdope.com/columns/030411.html seems to be a fairly

decent
accout of what actually happened but leave much to interpretation.

and then he goes on to to wear a flight suit and
some people think he is a great leader.

'Cause he is . . . But history will have to be the final judge to that, I
reckon.

I think it is cool that the President got a little stick time.

Old January 25th 04, 11:27 PM
Pilot Bob

"Tarver Engineering" wrote in message
news
Not everyone. Not my a long shot. While he did seem to shirk some
responsibilities, the record is not quite clear on exactly what

happened.
However, he *was* a youngun. I might have done a stupid thing or twenty

in
my younger years, too.

It is impossible to be AWOL from the National Guard, as drill attendance

was
optional.

Call it whatever you want. The fact is that, using his father's connections,
he got placed in the National Guard to avoid the Vietnam draft and even then
did not have the balls to meet his commitment. Now that may not mean much to
you, but to me it says a whole lot about character.

Old January 26th 04, 02:51 AM
R.Hubbell

On Sun, 25 Jan 2004 15:53:09 -0600 "Jim Fisher" wrote:

"Pilot Bob" wrote in message
That's the problem we have these days. Everyone knows Bush was AWOL during
his National Guard days,

Not everyone. Not my a long shot. While he did seem to shirk some
responsibilities, the record is not quite clear on exactly what happened.
However, he *was* a youngun. I might have done a stupid thing or twenty in
my younger years, too.

Did you avoid fulfilling your swarn duties to your country? That goes far
beyond stupid.

So you think avoiding your swarn duties for your country is just a stupid
thing he did and it should be overlooked because he was young?

Sons of people with lots less money suffer much worse fate than being
thought of as young and stupid when they fail to fulfill their swarn
duties to their country.

R. Hubbell

Old January 26th 04, 10:11 PM
Jim Fisher

"R.Hubbell" wrote in message

Did you avoid fulfilling your swarn duties to your country?

No, I never had any "swarn" dities to my country . . . Except for paying
taxes, I reckon. I've never avoided them but I damn sure don't like 'em.
Does that count?

So you think avoiding your swarn duties for your country is just a stupid
thing he did and it should be overlooked because he was young?

Yeah, that pretty much states it. He kinda made up for it by serving as
Commander in Chief . . . In my book, anyway.

Are you the same person you were when you were in your teens-twenties? I
damn sure am not. Besides, it not like he took of to Canada.

Sons of people with lots less money suffer much worse fate than being
thought of as young and stupid when they fail to fulfill their swarn
duties to their country.

It's not nice to swarn, by the way.

--
Jim Fisher