Just checking in...how's everyone been?

Old November 22nd 08, 11:48 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,alt.usenet.kooks
Bertie the Bunyip[_28_]

Default Just checking in...how's everyone been?

"Jay Honeck" wrote in news:0RxVk.389431
$TT4.53137@attbi_s22:

Fjukkkwit.

Ah, I see the vocabulary-challenged village idiot is still muttering his
signature response, but from a new address that hasn't been killfiled.

God you're an idiot. You think anyone actually believes your killfiel
nonsense wannabe boi?

Bertie
Old November 22nd 08, 11:50 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,alt.usenet.kooks
Bertie the Bunyip[_28_]

"Jay Honeck" wrote in

Hey Jay! Sounds like you had a blast in Germany. BTW, is Paul over
at POA too? if so, can you PM me his sn there?

See you around,
Monk

Paul (aka: "Montblack") joined PofA, but (like so many) doesn't care
for the somewhat awkward interface. He doesn't hang there much.

Too hard for the old junkie to grasp, eh?

Bertie
Old November 22nd 08, 11:51 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,alt.usenet.kooks
Bertie the Bunyip[_28_]

"Jay Honeck" wrote in

oh well, so I wasn't worth a call ...

Sorry, I don't have any idea what part of Austria you're from -- nor
do I have a phone number. Being there just four days really
restricted our activities to the bare minimum. Next time, we'll have
to set something up.

I've been there this year for my first time: I entered one entrance
and left about 15 minutes later on the other entrance, down to the
subway, headed away for a couple of stations and went to the German
museum.

I really wanted to see that museum, but see above. There just wasn't
time.

And what was the (new?) perspective you won or learned?

The one thing I discovered (that surprised me) was that I don't
actually hate big cities -- I hate AMERICAN-style big cities.

Because there are no American-style suburbs around Munich, everyone
actually lives in the city -- which turns it into a lively, fun, and
safe place to live. I love the scale of the place (no skyscrapers),
and could truly live in Munich without any trouble -- well, except for
my 7th-grade German.

Sadly, the lack of GA in Germany would kill me. Markus gave us a good
primer of what it's like to fly in Germany, and it was truly
depressing. Yes, it's possible to own and fly your own plane, but the
hassle level (and costs) are truly breathtaking.

God you're an idiot.

Bertie
Old November 22nd 08, 12:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Martin Hotze[_2_]

RST Engineering schrieb:
Keep me in the loop too, please.

Jim

well, there are two ways I can be of help, if interested:
I can set up a mailinglist (no ads, no nothing), moderated or whatever
you want t to be (mailman), or I simply add a newsgroup at my newsserver
under our local 'hierarchy', so one only needs to have access to our
newsserver and anybody with access to our newsserver (this is: all our
customers without interest in usenet and a handfull with free accounts)
can read and post to this new group and of course use it to access usenet.

#m
Old November 22nd 08, 12:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Martin Hotze[_2_]

Jay Honeck schrieb:
oh well, so I wasn't worth a call ...

Sorry, I don't have any idea what part of Austria you're from -- nor do I

it is about the same distance and driving time from Munich to Salzburg
or to Innsbruck, and from Salzburg to Innsbruck it is also about the
same distance and time.

have a phone number. Being there just four days really restricted our

you know, there's a website ....

activities to the bare minimum. Next time, we'll have to set something up.

at least you haven't done the "Europe in 7 days" tour. :-)

I've been there this year for my first time: I entered one entrance and
left about 15 minutes later on the other entrance, down to the subway,
headed away for a couple of stations and went to the German museum.

I really wanted to see that museum, but see above. There just wasn't time.

you need at least 1 day there,
http://www.deutsches-museum.de/index.php?id=1&L=1
and they have an outdoor division with some planes, too. This will
probably take another day.
http://www.deutsches-museum.de/index...=flugwerft&L=1

And what was the (new?) perspective you won or learned?

The one thing I discovered (that surprised me) was that I don't actually
hate big cities -- I hate AMERICAN-style big cities.

and from the cultural perspective or from the way of living and doing
things?

Because there are no American-style suburbs around Munich, everyone actually
lives in the city -- which turns it into a lively, fun, and safe place to
live. I love the scale of the place (no skyscrapers), and could truly live
in Munich without any trouble

this is Munich, they are more relaxed than other cities in Germany (more
to the north). Frankfurt might not be your idea of a lovely city, I guess.

-- well, except for my 7th-grade German.

I doubt that it was a really big problem.

Sadly, the lack of GA in Germany would kill me. Markus gave us a good
primer of what it's like to fly in Germany, and it was truly depressing.
Yes, it's possible to own and fly your own plane, but the hassle level (and
costs) are truly breathtaking.

there are ways, of course, and you can't fly easily into the big
airports. ultra lights etc are more and more seen

#m
Old November 23rd 08, 12:03 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck[_2_]

and from the cultural perspective or from the way of living and doing
things?

One interesting (and refreshing) thing I observed about Germans (or,
perhaps, Bavarians) was their attitude toward drinking. Around here (a
college town) the place is absolutely AWASH with beer and booze, but just
try to get any of it as an adult. You can't get a beer or a glass of wine
at any outdoor events -- period -- because it's treated like crack cocaine.

An example: We tried to do a "hangar dance" as part of the American
Barnstormers Tour here last summer. This would have been a fund-raiser to
help defray their costs. The city attorney said "nein" -- no alcohol of any
kind allowed on city property. Had their appearance not been canceled due
to our "little" flood, Iowa City would have been the ONLY stop on the tour
to not have beer and wine served at the event. Talk about childish!

Munich, on the other hand, treats beer as just another beverage. It's
everywhere, but it's no big deal. You can walk down the street with a beer,
and no one bats an eye. At Oktoberfest, literally thousands of revelers
drank beer from GLASS steins every day -- something that would be absolutely
unheard of in the U.S. (I can just hear our city attorney howling about the
"liability" issues.) Everyone had a great time, no one got rowdy -- it was
just good, clean fun, for people from all over the world.

And, best of all -- for those who had too much to drink, they had a special
tent set up with cots for revelers to "sleep it off" if needed. Here in
Iowa City, our jail is filled every weekend with young people, jailed for
"public intoxication" -- a thinly-veiled ruse to raise big bucks for the
city, and a stupid waste of valuable jail space. The Germans are much more
mature and pragmatic about the whole situation.

However, lest anyone think that Germany is a bunch of drunks careening
around the autobahn, NO ONE drinks and drives. The penalties for doing so
are severe -- as they should be -- and cabs are everywhere. Thus, drinking
is a nice, social event that is kept in proper perspective, rather than
romanticized it to the point where our young people here binge drink
themselves into oblivion.

We had a wonderful time, and we would go back tomorrow if we could. In
fact, we tried to extend our stay a couple of days (our staffing at the
hotel was rock-solid, so we felt we could be gone longer) -- but Lufthansa
would have none of it. They wanted $500 extra to move our flights back 48
hours -- so we sadly had to come home as scheduled.

Ah, well -- next time I want to get down to Stuttgart, in the area I *think*
my family is from.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old November 23rd 08, 12:38 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bob Noel[_2_]

Jay Honeck wrote:
and from the cultural perspective or from the way of living and doing
things?

One interesting (and refreshing) thing I observed about Germans (or,
perhaps, Bavarians) was their attitude toward drinking. Around here (a
college town) the place is absolutely AWASH with beer and booze, but
just try to get any of it as an adult. You can't get a beer or a glass
of wine at any outdoor events -- period -- because it's treated like
crack cocaine.

I gather that the Germans are a bit more responsible about drinking.
Specifically not getting blitzed. Which leads to the question of
how to get that across the pond into the American culture...
Old November 23rd 08, 03:21 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck[_2_]

I gather that the Germans are a bit more responsible about drinking.
Specifically not getting blitzed. Which leads to the question of
how to get that across the pond into the American culture...

I think you get that across the pond by treating drinking as a normal adult
pastime, and ostracizing people who over-do it. Our culture has evolved
(at the legal level, anyway) into treating drinking as quasi-criminal and
thus, for the younger crowd, romantic. In this atmosphere it becomes the
forbidden fruit.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old November 23rd 08, 03:33 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Monk

On Nov 22, 7:32*am, Martin Hotze wrote:
RST Engineering schrieb:

Keep me in the loop too, please.

Jim

well, there are two ways I can be of help, if interested:
I can set up a mailinglist (no ads, no nothing), moderated or whatever
you want t to be (mailman), or I simply add a newsgroup at my newsserver
* under our local 'hierarchy', so one only needs to have access to our
newsserver and anybody with access to our newsserver (this is: all our
customers without interest in usenet and a handfull with free accounts)
can read and post to this new group and of course use it to access usenet..

#m

What ever the group decides, count me in.

Monk