Anyone know how to update an old Loran database?

Old November 29th 03, 05:12 AM
Tom Jackson

Default Anyone know how to update an old Loran database?

I have looked around on the 'net, and cannot find any reference to being
able to update an old Apollo loran database (like can be done with the
modern GPS units.)

I have an Apollo 604, with the latest update (1999, I think.)

It seems to me, that there must be some tech-wizards out there who could
figure out how to update such an animal -- i.e., there are a number of
places to get the "data" (FAA, DAFIF, etc.) - is there a way to configure it
in a file on a PC, then through some sort of interface upload it to the
"Flybrary"?

I think the Flybrary is probably some sort of EPROM (eraseable, programmable
read-only memory) that should be capable of being updated, if one understood
the protocol, data formats, physical connections, etc.

On the surface, this sounds doable - is it merely a pipe-dream?

At least, it could be a fun project for someone over these fine winter
months!

Old November 29th 03, 05:41 AM
Ben Sego

Tom Jackson wrote:

I have an Apollo 604, with the latest update (1999, I think.)

It seems to me, that there must be some tech-wizards out there who could
figure out how to update such an animal -- i.e., there are a number of
places to get the "data" (FAA, DAFIF, etc.) - is there a way to configure it
in a file on a PC, then through some sort of interface upload it to the
"Flybrary"?

snip

On the surface, this sounds doable - is it merely a pipe-dream?

At least, it could be a fun project for someone over these fine winter
months!

It's certainly possible, and it would be an interesting project. It
would have to be done for the project interest. Do you happen to have a
spare one lying about?

B.S.

Old November 29th 03, 08:17 AM
Ben Jackson

In article W0Vxb.249031$9E1.1347467@attbi_s52,
Tom Jackson wrote:

I have an Apollo 604, with the latest update (1999, I think.)

Does your 604 lock on? I'm in the Pacific Northwest (GRI 9940?) and
bought a plane with a 604. It doesn't seem to acquire more than one
station (only one letter will capitalize).

I've just left it turned off but I can't tell if it's due to an old
database or bad antenna or what.

--
Ben Jackson

http://www.ben.com/

Old November 29th 03, 04:47 PM
JFLEISC

Speaking of that, where do I get updated data base chips for my Apollo 618 now
that Garmin bought them out? There seems to be no reference to it on their
site. (for that matter I can't seem to find exact operating instructions for
the software version it has).

Jim
Old November 29th 03, 07:22 PM
G.R. Patterson III

Ben Jackson wrote:

I've just left it turned off but I can't tell if it's due to an old
database or bad antenna or what.

LORANs work just fine with old databases. Many of them have an internal battery,
however, and when this goes dead, they don't work.

George Patterson
Some people think they hear a call to the priesthood when what they really
hear is a tiny voice whispering "It's indoor work with no heavy lifting".
Old November 29th 03, 08:54 PM
Jerry Springer

G.R. Patterson III wrote:

Ben Jackson wrote:

I've just left it turned off but I can't tell if it's due to an old
database or bad antenna or what.

LORANs work just fine with old databases. Many of them have an internal battery,
however, and when this goes dead, they don't work.

George Patterson
Some people think they hear a call to the priesthood when what they really
hear is a tiny voice whispering "It's indoor work with no heavy lifting".

That is true, my Flybuddy quit working and I called Applo/Garmin/UPS to see how
much it would be to fix it and they said $250.00 just to look at it and replace
the batteries. I opened it up myself and found the internal batteries. (there
are two in the Flybuddy) I got the numbers of the batteries and then went on the
internet and found the same batteries for about $8.00. It was a very simple
matter to un-solder the old batteries and solder in the new batteries. Now my
Flybuddy GPS works as good as it did new.

Jerry

Old December 3rd 03, 03:15 AM
Tom Jackson

Here is a response I received from someone at GarminAT:
****************************
Hi Tom,

Sorry but there is simply no means to update the data. The required
equipment to "burn" the data to the eproms is not generally available. Even
if it was, the format of the data is proprietary and not available to the
public. With the age of the eproms it's very normal for at lest one of them
to not accept data any longer as well. Once you were to try to load, and
fail, the unit would be rendered useless. The proms are no longer available
from any source so it just isn't worth the time or effort. I can only
recommend that you simply continue to use it as it is and load needed
waypoints as user created waypoints.

Regards,
John Hendrickson
Technical Support

Project update Dave Hyde Home Built 7 October 19th 03 02:45 PM
Anybody Still Use Loran? Larry Smith Home Built 4 October 4th 03 05:06 AM
Me262 Update CS_Mike Home Built 2 September 10th 03 07:19 AM
2nd update on Review of Plasma II Ignition System MikeremlaP Home Built 8 July 22nd 03 01:37 AM